Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Propaganda

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

joey_capps
Bar Fly

LCBO Propaganda

Post by joey_capps »

Picked up the pamphlet "At The LCBO, Our Responsibility Is To You." I would find the following funny, if it didn't make me want to scream.

Seling Only safe, High-Quality Products

The LCBO's Quality Assurance Laboratory ensures that safe, high-quality beverage alcohol products are made available to coustomers. The laboratory is ISO certified, which means it meets the highest international standards. All products sold by the LCBO and Beer Stores are chemically tested to comply with both federal and provincial standards. In 2001, our lab conducted over 315,000 test on more than 13,000 different samples.

Illegal Alcohol: Not a Victimless Crime

The LCBO teams with other law enforcement and government organizations to help raise awareness that illegal alcohol is not a victimless crime. People who buy untested illegal alcohol are playing Russian roulette with their health. Seized products have been found to contain carcinogens, toxins and poisons. Bootleg alcohol is also accessible to those who should not have it--minors and intoxicated people--putting others at risk from drunk driving and other dangerous situations.

Ontario taxpayers also lose, as an important source of government revenue that could be spend on social and health porgrams goes instead to criminals. We estimated in 2001 that $432 mill or about six per cent of the annual $7.5 billion provincial beverage alcohol market was lost to the underground economy.
Thanks you LCBO for looking out for me. Glad you allow those "safe" forty ounce bottles of malt liquor to be available, but ensure that those dangerous Cantillon products stay out.

The conflations of arguments in the second paragraph is infuriating. Non-tested/Bootleg alcohol is more accessible to minors--never had a problem getting "legitimate" alcohol when I was a monor or intoxicated-- which in turn leads to more drunk driving. Are there studies that show that the "legitimacy" of the alcohol equates directly to whether or nor a person will drive while intoxicated. By that logic, most drunks on the road are intoxicated minors, therefore why even bother to pull us adults over.

Then there is the chicken and egg argument of the last paragraph. The only bootleg alcohol I've consumed, hypothetically, that is, has been because there is no legal & cost effective mechanism to bring in small amounts (i.e., a keg for sale in a bar or tavern), or the labelling is unacceptable.

If the LCBO was serious about their responsibility, they would get rid of the stacks of malt liquors and malternatives on their shelves. And, there is such a contradiction between their "repsonsibility" and there objective to maximize profits on a sales per square foot basis.

ARGH!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

This LCBO doubletalk is all so hypocritical.

eg: " Seized products have been found to contain carcinogens, toxins and poisons. "

All alcohol IS carcinogenic (colon) and toxic/poisonous (that's the whole point.) so where's the meaningful consistency in that mission statement? I know it refers to finding windshield washer in bootleg booze, but they also apply it to centuries-old cultural products that are far less harmful than a walk on a smoggy day in Toronto.

The second hypocricy:, all alcoholic beverages are inherently harmful to us to some extent, yet Ontario eagerly stuffs all the proceeds in their hip pocket - NOT so much for social programs, either - or at least show me some real accounting figures here rather than lip service, LCBO.

If not social programs, why doesn't Ontario spend resources on something meaningful like car / industrial pollution or something else that actually kills or compromises people. They DON'T protect citizens, so it's twice the crime that they control and steal from us in the name on 'protecting' us. We're all choking on the effluent of wealthy industry, and to the Ont Guv that's just fine as long as their cash flow is good and we pay for our own early funerals.

As long as we allow our government to continually tighten its grip on such harmless little freedoms as taking home a nice box of Cantillon, we will get more & more accustomed to their subjection of our lives. I hate to think whereall this senseless 'control fixation' will lead.
In Beerum Veritas

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Was this pamphlet published by the LCBO or its Union?

Salut Steve

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Gunny wrote:Was this pamphlet published by the LCBO or its Union?

Salut Steve
Hey, let's not go Union bashing. Frankly, I don't blame them for trying to protect their jobs. :P

The pamphlet is an LCBO publication.

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

[/quote]

Hey, let's not go Union bashing. Frankly, I don't blame them for trying to protect their jobs. :P

The pamphlet is an LCBO publication.[/quote]

Didn't mean to touch a nerve Joe. 8) For the life of me, I don't see anything in my post that could be construed as Union bashing, not that there's anything wrong with that. :wink:

Jeff

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Gunny wrote:
Didn't mean to touch a nerve Joe. 8) For the life of me, I don't see anything in my post that could be construed as Union bashing, not that there's anything wrong with that. :wink:

Jeff
You capitalist swine. Always feigning ignorance. :D

Actually, just in a silly, provocative mood today.

Cheers,

Joe

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I asked the LCBO about thata while back, and the phone jockey talked about it being the consumer's choice to buy malt liquor, and stuff like that. They were just the avenue in which to get it. :roll:
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Manul

Post by Manul »

How about us then? What avenue are we supposed to use? I guess if we don't like it, we should go to the competition, aka the beer store and choose from what is "perhaps the best selection of beer in the world " :-? .

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

That sounds like the Carlesberb ad I saw in Brussels: Perhaps the best beer in the world!!!

What nerve to be putting ads like that in Belgian's capital.

As for the alcohol protection: They can keep it for the real harmful stuff like high concentrations of fusel alcohols and stuff like that in distilled products.