Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Tecate Beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Joey

Tecate Beer

Post by Joey »

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, I recently had a Mexican beer called Tecate Cerveza. I had it in Buffalo last week, it tastes delicious and very smooth. I really enjoyed the smooth flavour and I want to buy some here in Toronto. I have looked at the LCBO and the Beer Store but they do not sell it. Any suggestions as to where I can buy some? Help! I found the website www.cervezatecate.com

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Joey

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Joey, Joey, Joey...

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

esprit wrote:Joey, Joey, Joey...
First, I'm not this Joey. This is another Joe (though I'm also known as just_another_joe in some music related forums).

Second, and don't take any offense to this Joey, your post reads a little advertising copy. I'm half expecting the next post to read, "why yes, I'm the new agent for Tecate [cerveza means beer btw] and it will be available at . . . "

Third, I don't believe Tecate is available at either the LCBO or The Beer Store. Also, I don't see any availability information for Ontario on RateBeer.com (for what it's worth).

Fourth, it's a Mexican Pale Lager--I'm sure we'll see it here soon. :wink:

Joe
Last edited by joey_capps on Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joey

Post by Joey »

sorry everyone,

I am not a vendor or dealer, I am just a huge fan and I am curious to know where I can buy this beer. Sorry for any confusion.

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Joey wrote:sorry everyone,

I am not a vendor or dealer, I am just a huge fan and I am curious to know where I can buy this beer. Sorry for any confusion.
No need to apologize. Welcome to the site.

As for availabiltiy, see my last post.

Joe.

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

I just got back from Mexico, and I don't remember seeing Tecate, even though it supposedly was available in the area.

If you want to make a Mexican smile, ask for a chela instead of a cerveza; it's roughly the equivalent of asking for a brewski.

¡Me gustan las chicas Tecate!
Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

If you bought it in Buffalo then that would be the place to get it. The LCBO tries hard to carry every nondescript ghetto lager from around the world, but there's always a few they miss.

Now as for the physical impossibility of a flavour called "smooth" and the absuridity of a beer with throat-ripping levels of artificially-pumped CO2 being "smooth", that's another issue.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Joey,

I'm sorry for the "attitude" you might be experiencing after your first post extolling the virtures of Tecate. We're a snobby bunch, most of whom feel we've matured and developed a greater understanding of beer than the average Joe...

Having said that I think Tecate is donkey piss and frankly I hope the LCBO and the Beer Store avoid it like the plague. BUT, your opinion is yours and you're entitled to it. If you do ever find some up here then feel free to post again...I'd be curious to see if you still think it's so wonderful without the warm tropical breeze, bikini clad women and roving Mariachi bands. In other words, perhaps it's the perfect beer for being on a beach in Mexico where the choices are limited to six different brands of the same flavor.

the.brewer

Post by the.brewer »

..I'd be curious to see if you still think it's so wonderful without the warm tropical breeze, bikini clad women and roving Mariachi bands.

Wow, got to get to Buffalo soon before the winter's over....sure must have changed since I was last there.

borderline_alcoholic

Post by borderline_alcoholic »

Global warming perhaps.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Ah yes...Buffalo, not Mexico. Similar standard of living but beyond that I misread Joe's initial post.

Well then I have no idea why Joe thought it was that special considering the location he sampled it. From my perspective Tecate is only a barely noticable notch above Dos Equis, Corona and Sol. I'm not even a fan of Negra Modelo. Corn, an absence of barley malt and low hopping is the anathema of good beer which is why I dislike just about every Latin American and Carribean beer out there. Happy hunting Joe but you might have to make do with the dozens of other bland lagers offered by the LCBO instead.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

How about, instead of mocking people's tastes, we suggest similar beers that we feel they might like and expand their beer knowledge? Or should there be a warning on the start page saying "don't even post on the Forum unless you are highly knowledgeable and your taste in beer falls in line with ours"?

I know of several people, avid beer fans, who avoid Bartowel for exactly this reason, they can't stand the snobby attitude and negative responses to everything.

Anyways, back to bashing newbies...
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

borderline_alcoholic

Quite right too. The last things we need are differing opinions.

BURN THE HERETICS. (And similar gibberish.)

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

borderline_alcoholic wrote:Quite right too. The last things we need are differing opinions.

BURN THE HERETICS. (And similar gibberish.)
Differing opinions are not the same as mocking people and insulting them for having different taste. Everyone here drank crap beer at some point yet whenever someone posts that they like something that we don't, several people feel the need to show their superiority and bash the person. I just don't see the point.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

borderline_alcoholic

I was actually agreeing with you.