Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Another cheap beer comes to town

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Another cheap beer comes to town

Post by Cass »

According to Marketing Magazine, a new cheap beer is launching in Ontario under the name "Lakeshore Creek Brewing Company". The people behind this beer as the same as "Minhas Creek Brewing" in Manitoba and "Mountain Crest Brewing Company" in Alberta.

Evidently there will be a TV campaign beginning on April 4. A six-pack will cost $5.75.

Looks like we've got another winner in the beer market :D

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Oh yeah. :o Mountain Crest started distributing at one of our private stores here in Halifax last year. Makes a good 1-2 combination with Steelback. Who knows maybe you'll get lucky and they'll knock each other out of business. They're all contract brewed by Joseph Huber in Kansas City according to Ratebeer.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

thats crazy cheap! That's quite possibly the cheapest six pack in ontario.
(Which actually makes me wonder how thats allowed, with all the ads on the radio saying that $21 or so is the "lowest legal price" for a 2-4....)

borderline_alcoholic

Post by borderline_alcoholic »

JerCraigs wrote:thats crazy cheap! That's quite possibly the cheapest six pack in ontario.
(Which actually makes me wonder how thats allowed, with all the ads on the radio saying that $21 or so is the "lowest legal price" for a 2-4....)
$5.75 for 6 bottles is still more per bottle than $21 for 24.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

riiiiight.... stupid half awake math!

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Mountain Crest is the brand that made Sleeman back away from Old Milwaukee sales in Alberta. It shook them up pretty good at the time. I don't know what its present position is.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Rob Creighton wrote:Mountain Crest is the brand that made Sleeman back away from Old Milwaukee sales in Alberta. It shook them up pretty good at the time. I don't know what its present position is.
Mountain crest is gut wrenching corn juice from US contract brewers isn't it? I ran accross it in Alberta last year and was able to score a single can from the liquor depot loose ends bin....I recall thinking at the time that this was possibly the worst lager I had ever tasted...and that includes Steelback.

There is a reason it's priced cheap...it is essentially green beer. I don't know how they placed with market share but if they do place well ( and I understand it was a success) it means there are a lot of park bench consumers out there.

The same people (Minhas ?) that sold Mountain crest in their chain liquor stores have a full line of imported/contract cheap wine and booze with their brand on it. I think they had some stuff available in Alberta for a short time made byy the Cammo malt liquor maker...with their brand on it...think it was Axe head...swill all of it but sells out.

Mountain Crest is like Alberta's answer to Steelback but they had the sense to conntract cheap corny swill from the US instead of make it here and try to price into the premiun market to make their profit. No capital investment in production equipment labor or facility....one wonders why this simple formula escaped Steelback's executive...they could be in the low teir market and not have to pee away cash on PR to sell as a premium. Mountain Crest had no pretesion of being anything other than cheap and their low capital invetment plan gave them max ROI. MC booms and Steelback is on death watch.

On the up side Mountain Crest are now agents for Huber's premuim line Berghoff, which straddles the line between craft and premium mega...there's nothing wrong with Berghoff dunkle, heffe and marzen...so this guy is expanding his market presense in 2 separate teirs with no capital equipment instment...good plan wish him well.
Aventinus rules!