Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Pilsner Urquell on Tap

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dhparker

Pilsner Urquell on Tap

Post by dhparker »

Hello,

Does anyone know a place in Toronto that has Pilsner Urquell on tap?

I checked www.pilsner-urquell.com and they only mentioned Teatro on College. I went down there, and it was a dead end (i.e. no Pils on tap).

Any thoughts?

Dave

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Allen's on the Danforth used to have it on tap, but that info is not too reliable as I have not been there this year.

Mother G

Post by Mother G »

Pilsner is not available on tap in Canada.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Pilsner is not available on tap in Canada
Millions of Labatt Blue drinkers might beg to differ :lol:

Seriously, someone should tell Allen's to change their web site beer menu then...

http://www.allens.to/scrapbook/wordsbook.php?section=2

Click on beer and scroll down. I'll check it out next time I'm over in the area.

Jeff

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

tupalev wrote:Seriously, someone should tell Allen's to change their web site beer menu then...

http://www.allens.to/scrapbook/wordsbook.php?section=2

Click on beer and scroll down. I'll check it out next time I'm over in the area.
Forget the Pilsener Urquell, go for the Rodenbach Alexander!

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Wheatsheaf wrote:Forget the Pilsener Urquell, go for the Rodenbach Alexander!
Or how about some MO Chouffe.

dhparker

Post by dhparker »

Ah Crap.. Allens doesn't have it after all.. I e-mailed them and got this response of what they do have:

At the moment , in continental lager, we have Stella and Harp,
with Harp and Kronenbourg at Dora's next door

Dave

dhparker

Post by dhparker »

So is there no place in Toronto that has this stuff?

A walk down any street in San Francisco seems to show multiple watering holes with the stuff on tap. I was even able to get some PU draught glasses in my travels..

Surely a place as big as the GTA should have it somewhere?

Dave

Colin @ Canada

Post by Colin @ Canada »

One of my favorite Toronto area Breweries is King Brewery. Why don't you give their King Pilsner a try. You can get it on tap at C'est What downtown. Colin

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

dhparker wrote:Surely a place as big as the GTA should have it somewhere?
The size of the city has nothing to do with it. It all has to do with whether or not the importer/agent for the beer chooses to bring it into Ontario in keg form. If they don't feel that it fits into their current marketing strategy, or don't want to deal with the expense involved, or simply don't feel that it's worth the bother for whatever reason, then it won't happen.

Anyway, you might want to consider contacting Sleeman about this. They are the current importer & distributor of Urquell in Ontario, so they should be able to tell you if they are currently bringing it into the province in kegs, and if not, if they plan on doing so in the future.

dhparker

Post by dhparker »

Thanks for the advice.. I'll do that.

And give that King Pilsner a try tae..

Dave

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

King Pilsener is excellent, I agree, and there are others although they may not quite approximate that Urquel honeyed/Saaz taste that is so unique (e.g. Cameron lager is very good).

I find canned Urquel remarkably good for an imported canned beer. Since any Urquel that is draft would be pasteurised (I assume) for export, I wonder how different draft export Urquel is to a fresh can of imported Urquel? E.g. I find draft Warsteiner very similar to the canned Warsteiner, ditto Kronenbourg 1664. Maybe the draft kegs undergo a less thorough sterilization than the canned beers but I don't find them all that different as sold here at any rate.

Gary

dhparker

Post by dhparker »

Hmm.. I contact Sleemans and confirmed the suspicion. Pilsner Urquell is not available on tap in Toronto...

Ach well.. as someone pointed out, the canned version is still good..

Dave

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

old faithful wrote:King Pilsener is excellent, I agree, and there are others although they may not quite approximate that Urquel honeyed/Saaz taste that is so unique (e.g. Cameron lager is very good).

I find canned Urquel remarkably good for an imported canned beer. Since any Urquel that is draft would be pasteurised (I assume) for export, I wonder how different draft export Urquel is to a fresh can of imported Urquel? E.g. I find draft Warsteiner very similar to the canned Warsteiner, ditto Kronenbourg 1664. Maybe the draft kegs undergo a less thorough sterilization than the canned beers but I don't find them all that different as sold here at any rate.

Gary
I don't know if it's possible to have different levels of pasteurization. Can/keg won't make much difference (being that it's the exact same beer) and to find unpasteurized Urquell you'll need to visit the brewery and get the unfiltered version made in the old wooden vessels.

It's a shame Allen's couldn't come up with anything better to say than to try and sell you guys inferior beverages. An apology explaining that the product was no longer available would be sufficient. Definitely stick to the MoChouffe.