Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Creemore Bought By Molson

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Mother G

Creemore Bought By Molson

Post by Mother G »

Apparently Molson is signing and sealing the deal to buy Creemore as we speak.

The deal will be anounced in the next 10 days.

They will take the brand nationally but run it as a separate entity.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Well, if true, that makes sense since Molson has nothing in its portfolio that really compares to the premium nature of Stella Artois, Leffe or even Keith's IPA for that matter (in my opinion). The headscratcher for me is why Molson didn't come up with its own truly premium beer before, it has all the resouces and tech ability to do that, to put out e.g. a smokin' IPA or German black beer or something.

Gary

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Maybe it has to do with having a built-in market already rather than come up with something new which will have to have marketing $$$ thrown at it. Cheaper perhaps? Or have something "new" for summer which they otherwise couldn't do something really new in time? Hopefully Molson won't screw around with it as I like to have a Creemore every now and then.
lister

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Yup,
I heard it from two separate Molson personnel so far but neither could confirm it. I think they just liked telling me because I like to take cheap shots about Molson having no legitimate premium brands (inc. Heineken).

If so, the Ontario micro movement has suffered its first significant set back. Sleeman buying UC was no big deal - it cleaned up the infection. Brick buying Algonquin with Molson money was just change that was inevitably coming and almost all brands have died since. Creemore Springs is the the first self-made micro that succeeded and had actual brand equity. There are more Creemore taps in Ontario than Sleeman taps - no question.

Creemore was a driving force behind the soon to be launched Ontario Craft Brewers Association and Howard Thompson was the prominent personality behind that (Howard, feel free to tell me/us that were all full of it).
Without question, consumers will be questioning the quality of Molson-Coors-Creemore product. For the record, I am against the sale.

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

While the sale worries me, I'll give Howard the benefit of the doubt. Can't really blame him for going this way.

All the best Howard. Will you be sticking around at Creemore?

Joe.
Last edited by joey_capps on Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

While I'm happy for those at Creemore that will profit from all their hard work, at the same time, I'm saddened to think that my purchasing Creemore products in the future will be putting money in the pockets of Molson.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Andicus wrote:While I'm happy for those at Creemore that will profit from all their hard work, at the same time, I'm saddened to think that my purchasing Creemore products in the future will be putting money in the pockets of Molson.
There is an obvious solution to this problem...

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Andicus wrote:While I'm happy for those at Creemore that will profit from all their hard work, at the same time, I'm saddened to think that my purchasing Creemore products in the future will be putting money in the pockets of Molson.
Ah, that doesn't really bother me. After all, every beer I buy at the Beer Store puts money into the pockets of Molson (& Labatt & Sleeman). An extra buck or two here & there isn't going to make much of a difference.

My main concern is the plan to make Creemore a national brand. This suggests that they will either be increasing brewing capacity at the current plant, or they will start brewing Creemore in Molson plants across the country. Either way, I can't help but think that the quality of the beer will start to suffer.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

detritus wrote:There is an obvious solution to this problem...
While that's true, it would mean that I could no longer enjoy a quality product. That would be a shame. Although, given Greg's concern, that quality may be called into question anyway. I guess we'll see...

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

GregClow wrote: My main concern is the plan to make Creemore a national brand. This suggests that they will either be increasing brewing capacity at the current plant, or they will start brewing Creemore in Molson plants across the country. Either way, I can't help but think that the quality of the beer will start to suffer.
My impression (and I may be talking out my rear end here so don't take this as gospel) was that Creemore had extra capacity at the plant and probably planned on expanding production regardless of Molson involvement. Increased production does not *have* to have any effect on the quality. The goal of a business is to grow.

Similarly, theres no inherent reason why brewing creemore elsewhere implies a decrease in quality. it might be inconsistent when comparing the product from two different places, but thats a quality control issue.

As with the hoopla when Sleeman bought Creemore, I would expect that anyone buying the brand SHOULD realise the value in preserving the quality associated with that brand. Time will tell.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

If this does turnout to be like the Sleeman/Unibroue deal, where the Unibroue product supposedly isn't going to be tinkered with, this could be good news for me as Creemore might actually make its way to the East Coast. Molson and Sleeman are very different beasts, though, especially with Coors thrown into the mix. I wouldn't expect they'll be as accommodating as Sleeman appears to be with Unibroue. But I expected Unibroue to be on its way downhill after that sale, so we'll have to wait and see.

Any media or other confirmations of this news? I haven't seen anything other than here.

Mother G

Post by Mother G »

A former executive at Sleeman (now in charge of Innovation and Development at Molson) will assume the role of "President" of Creemore.

The intention is to run it separately.

Industry "experts" say that Molson will attempt to create a Specialty Division ( a la the former Oland Specialty Brewing Company at Interbrew / Labatt) and move Heineken , Corona , MGD and Rickards over there.

The Capliano Brewing Company in B.C. ( I think that's just a shell name , not a real brewery) will brew Creemore out West.

The deal should be completed tomorrow (Friday) and announced Monday.

Things just keep getting curiouser and curiouser!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Mother G wrote: The Capliano Brewing Company in B.C. ( I think that's just a shell name , not a real brewery) will brew Creemore out West.
Capilano Brewing is the fake microbrewery that Molson created years ago to market Rickard's as a "craft" beer. Basically, this means that they'll be brewing Creemore in Molson's Vancouver plant.

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

GregClow wrote:
Mother G wrote: The Capliano Brewing Company in B.C. ( I think that's just a shell name , not a real brewery) will brew Creemore out West.
Capilano Brewing is the fake microbrewery that Molson created years ago to market Rickard's as a "craft" beer. Basically, this means that they'll be brewing Creemore in Molson's Vancouver plant.
The brewery is known as the Capilano Brewery, just as many breweries in England have a name of their own, separate from the company. The Capilano Brewing Company, however, is a non-entity in terms of brewing.

And I keep hearing rumours - wholly unsubstantiated at this point - that Molson is going to close that brewery. Of course, I'm still waiting for a Creemore announcement, too.

DukeofYork = Richard

Post by DukeofYork = Richard »

Does this mean we should buy Molson/Creemore stock before the announcement hits?