Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Toronto Summer 05

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

djmike

Toronto Summer 05

Post by djmike »

hey ,

A group of us will be travelling to TO summer 05 and have trying to find some info on beer / drink prices in TO ?

What is the average price of : Pint Draught Miller ?
Pint Draught House Beer ?
Bottle of Miller / Bud

Also , I've struggled to find any sites of what we call " Off Licences"

i.e . Places thats sell beer/spirits but are not pubs.

What prices should we be expecting for such establishments ?

and finally , what is the quality of Canadian Cider in comparison to say Magners/Bulmers/Strongbow ?

regards

**djmike**

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Hi, djmike...
djmike wrote: What is the average price of : Pint Draught Miller ?
Bottle of Miller / Bud
First of all - this website & forum isn't very friendly towards mainstream beers. So don't be surprised or offended if you get some responses blasting your taste in beer.

Regarding the questions above - Miller is not a very popular beer up here, and while Bud is more common, the mainstream beers that you'll be more likely to find in bars will be Canadian brands like Molson Canadian and Labatt Blue.

Prices will vary quite a bit depending on the area of town, the type of establishment (casual bar, upscale bar, restaurant, dance club...). But you can probably expect to pay somewhere in the CDN$4-$5 range for a pint of mainstream beer. Bottles are usually a bit cheaper, but don't expect the dirt-cheap happy hour specials you often find in the US - our gov't regulations and taxation don't allow for it.

And what exactly is a "House Beer"?
djmike wrote: Also , I've struggled to find any sites of what we call " Off Licences"

There are only three places that you can buy beer to take home in Ontario - The Beer Store (a chain of stores owned by Molson, Labatt & Sleeman, although they sell beer by many other breweries as well) and the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario - gov't run liquor stores), and at breweries (but if you're just looking for mainstream macrobrewery stuff, that's not really an option). You can find out locations, selection & prices at http://www.thebeerstore.ca and http://www.lcbo.com respectively.

I can't answer your last question as I'm not really a cider drinker.

Enjoy your visit!

Greg

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

djmike wrote:hey ,

A group of us will be travelling to TO summer 05 and have trying to find some info on beer / drink prices in TO ?

What is the average price of : Pint Draught Miller ?
Bottle of Miller / Bud

Also , I've struggled to find any sites of what we call " Off Licences"

and finally , what is the quality of Canadian Cider in comparison to say Magners/Bulmers/Strongbow ?

regards

**djmike**
Having already established that I'm an elitist shit, I'll leave the questions about those horrible excuses for beers to others.

Off-licenses...there are two. LCBO and Beer Store. The forum archive will contain many rants about our wonderful bottle shops. But suffice to say, they stock ample amounts of Miller and Bud, albeit at prices that do not reflect the relative production costs. You will find these stores at carefully measured intervals, as with any Soviet-structured operation. If you stick to downtown, the LCBO will be more common.

Their web sites are www.lcbo.com and www.thebeerstore.ca

As for ciders, the most common ciders here are Magners, Strongbow and Blackthorn. There are some ultra-sweet, disgusting ciders like Grower's that you'll find in bottles but those are, how shall I put this delicately, not geared for the male palate. Finding a local cider on tap will require concerted effort and in my opinion isn't really worth it as Strongbow (sadly I must say) is better.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I'm guessing your post is a prank, so...the guys you should really ask are over at http://beerteam.ca/
They are Toronto's self proclaimed experts of binge drinking holidays and will no doubt give you better guidance in your quest than you'll get from most of us here.

Manul

Post by Manul »

You're killing me Josh... :D

djmike

Post by djmike »

hmmm....<cough> beer geek <<cough>

seriously though, cheers for imput.

yours ,

Trolley McTroll.

ps : whats the quality of the Guinness like ?

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

ps : whats the quality of the Guinness like ?
I'd say it's fairly dark... 8)

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

As mediocre as it is everywhere else on this continent.

djmike

Post by djmike »

ahh...

pity.

I had a nice creamy one in St. James' Gate , the original brewery, yesterday...I'll miss it when I leave....