Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Return of the drivethru

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

screw2000

Return of the drivethru

Post by screw2000 »

From thestar.com this morning:

----

Apr. 18, 2005. 01:00 AM

24 bottles and 6 cans? Pull up to the 2nd window

LONDON—If drive-throughs work for coffee and doughnuts, then why not for that other great Canadian staple — beer?

A drive-through lane — the only one in Ontario — is being added to the Beer Store in London as part of a test marketing project.

The new lane will operate much like a fast-food outlet. Customers will see a "menu" board of beers and order from a speaker box.

They will drive to a window to pay for the beer and then pull up to a door, where Beer Store staff will place the beer in the trunk.

"People have other choices. We want to give people reasons to choose beer," said Scott Simmons, vice-president of marketing and business development.

Experimental lanes were installed at the outlet and a handful of others 15 years ago, but they were dropped after a few years because of lack of interest.

But fast food drive-throughs have soared in popularity in recent years, so it seemed like a good time for the Beer Store to try the concept again, Simmons said.

The new drive-through lane should be open for the Victoria Day weekend.

CANADIAN PRESS

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

We've had those here for a while. One quote in the article caught my eye, though:
They will drive to a window to pay for the beer and then pull up to a door, where Beer Store staff will place the beer in the trunk.
There was a case a few months ago where a guy in a pickup truck was stopped and had a case of beer and a bottle of wine behind his seat. The cop fined him because there's an antiquated law in NS saying that the driver of a vehicle is can not have access to any alcohol being transported, ie, it can't be within reach. The cop even made him dump out the alcohol. He fought it in part by videotaping NSLC employees at drive throughs putting purchases in peoples' vehicles, not in the trunk, and by doing so, really "aiding and abetting" the crime he was charged with. It didn't work for him, but shortly thereafter the justice minister instructed the RCMP not to charge people under that same law and that the law would be changed ASAP. I wonder if that case is what prompted the "placing of beer in the trunk".

burgermeister

Post by burgermeister »

Bobbyok wrote:...
There was a case a few months ago where a guy in a pickup truck was stopped and had a case of beer and a bottle of wine behind his seat. The cop fined him because there's an antiquated law in NS saying that the driver of a vehicle is can not have access to any alcohol being transported, ie, it can't be within reach. ....
Same laws exist in Ontario. Alcohol containers are not to be transported in the passenger compartment of a vehicle. They have to be out of reach in the trunk. Not sure what the ruling would be for SUVs, Vans, stationwagons etc. I guess having the beer case in the cargo area would be considered "out of reach".

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I frequently have beer in the back seat just because its a pain in the butt to put it in my trunk, especially in the winter when it explodes when I forget. My defense in court if ever charged will be that the law is discriminatory and that for a man of my size, in such a small car, even the trunk is reachable.

DukeofYork = Richard

Post by DukeofYork = Richard »

This seems ridiculous with beer and wine, because in most cases it is fairly easy to tell whether the seal has been broken. Why does it matter whether you can reach a corked bottle of wine? Aren't a number of states happy with the 'open container' regulations?

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Well, this is rather coincidental. I just stumbled across this old thread, and last Friday I went through Woodstock and saw a Beer Store with a drive-through. Can't say I knew there were any drive-through Beer Stores in Ontario.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

S. St. Jeb wrote:Well, this is rather coincidental. I just stumbled across this old thread, and last Friday I went through Woodstock and saw a Beer Store with a drive-through. Can't say I knew there were any drive-through Beer Stores in Ontario.

There's In in Cambridge as well. Never had the pleasure of using it though....

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I used the one in North Waterloo to get 4 bottles of Badlands Brewing, cause I felt like being a dick. They weren’t impressed, lol
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.