Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming soon...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Coming soon...

Post by GregClow »

I was at Smokeless tonight for the first time in quite a while, and Joe filled me in on a few things that will be coming soon.

The most exciting news (for me, at least) is that the fantastic Sri Lankan beer Lion Stout will soon be available at the Beer Store. This beer is considered by many people (including myself) to be one of the best stouts in the world, so it'll be great to have it easily available.

Also coming to the Beer Store is France's Fischer Amber (at least I'm guessing it'll be the amber - he said it would be a 6% ale from Fischer). The reviews for this one on Rate Beer aren't great, but it may be worth trying at least once.

As for the selection at the bar, Joe is trying to bring in more Ontario micros that he hasn't generally carried before. He visited Hockley Valley last week and brought in both the Lager and Dark Ale in cans, and he's planning a trip out to Glenora Spings soon to bring back their three beers. Nothing amazing, but at least it'll be a few new things to try for some of us.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

thanks for the heads up! Presume the imports will be in singles, so its an easy try.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

That is good news. i have been waiting to try the glenora's for some time and this is just in time for my big push to try all the Ontario beers I haven't gotten around to before I move out east for school.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

GregClow wrote: Hockley Valley last week and brought in both the Lager and Dark Ale in cans
Hockley only makes Ales I believe. Both the Gold and Dark were at least. Maybe they've changed but I don't think so.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

northyorksammy wrote:thanks for the heads up! Presume the imports will be in singles, so its an easy try.
The Fischer will likely be in singles, since it seems to be most commonly available as a 500 mL swing-top.

I'm not so sure about the Lion Stout, though. The one bottle I had a couple of years ago was a standard 355 mL, and it's rare to see those as singles at the Beer Store, so I suspect it might be a 6-pack.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Rob Creighton wrote:Hockley only makes Ales I believe. Both the Gold and Dark were at least. Maybe they've changed but I don't think so.
Yes, you're right. I was thinking that the Gold is a lager for some reason. Those are the two that they have at Smokeless.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

If you're looking for any Glenora Springs beers, I'm afraid you're too late.
The brewery is now closed. There may be some bottles of Triple Chin stout around in the LCBO stores, but the brewery is toast.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

PRMason wrote:If you're looking for any Glenora Springs beers, I'm afraid you're too late.
The brewery is now closed. There may be some bottles of Triple Chin stout around in the LCBO stores, but the brewery is toast.
Crap. I guess someone should tell Joe before he drives all the way out there to buy some! :-?

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Not a huge surprise about Glenora. The brewery was located in Prince Edward County not far from my step Father's house. As a result I was very familiar with their products from numerous samplings during the holidays. In my opinion they has some quality control issues that lead to very inconsistent batches. Some of the triple chin I tasted was pretty good, other times not so good. They were also catering to a very small market in the county and seemed not very successful at reaching out to larger draft beer markets like Kingston, Ottawa and Toronto.

Regardless, sad to see any local micro go down.

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

Jon Walker wrote:Not a huge surprise about Glenora. The brewery was located in Prince Edward County not far from my step Father's house. As a result I was very familiar with their products from numerous samplings during the holidays. In my opinion they has some quality control issues that lead to very inconsistent batches. Some of the triple chin I tasted was pretty good, other times not so good. They were also catering to a very small market in the county and seemed not very successful at reaching out to larger draft beer markets like Kingston, Ottawa and Toronto.

Regardless, sad to see any local micro go down.
Well, I won't shed any tears. The quality control problems existed the entire lifespan of the brewery. This is because the proprietor has a God complex and doesn't think he can make an infected beer. He actually blamed the LCBO for infecting his beers, as if that were even possible. Plus, I had infected beer that had been purchased at the brewery! If he'd listened when I told him he had an infection rather than pretend he's too good to have those kinds of problems, we wouldn't have guys writing four years later about "inconsistencies".
Last edited by Josh Oakes on Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Why don't you tell us how you really feel Josh. :o

Seriously, never tried their products, despite their relative closeness to my hometown Quinte area. I was actually thinking of dropping by this summer. Oh well, the County is still a lovely visit. Is Waupoos still brewing their Cider out that way?

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Josh, I think guys like Michael Hancock, Ken Woods, Charles MacLean and even Bill at the Judge would say you sound WAY TOO MUCH like me. Thanks, I needed that. :lol:

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Guys, I think we are missing what's important here - that *I* never got to try them.

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

Rob Creighton wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Josh, I think guys like Michael Hancock, Ken Woods, Charles MacLean and even Bill at the Judge would say you sound WAY TOO MUCH like me. Thanks, I needed that. :lol:
Yeah, I'm not always the most tactful guy in town. I'm not much for small talk or chit-chat which I know bugs some folks. And I'm not afraid to disagree with my friends and still be friends.

But these guys really got me going. Glenora still holds as the only brewery that actually threatened me. That's impressive.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

PRMason wrote:If you're looking for any Glenora Springs beers, I'm afraid you're too late.
It seems that this brewery has been revived, as someone posted to RateBeer this weekend that they visited the brewery recently and picked up a couple of bottles. Not sure if it's the same person/people behind it or a new crew - one of the new reviews mentions the former brewmaster from Elora being involved, but I seem to recall some connection between Elora and Glenora in the past (or maybe I'm just getting them confused due to the similar names).

Whatever the case - they're back.