Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

West Flanders trip

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Manul

West Flanders trip

Post by Manul »

I'll be visiting Bruges next month and also I'll try to cover as much as possible of the West Flanders. I have Westvleteren on my list - I know there is no access inside but I am planning to return with two cases of Westy12 and would also like to taste their beers at that cafe close to the abbey.Any other worth visiting beer related places you guys may know of - your input will be greatly appreciated.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Bruges is a beautiful city with most of the traffic kept outside their ring road. You are going to have a great time.

In 1999, we visited two cafes of note:

1) Brugs Beertje (5 Kemelstraat): 200+ beers, an absolute must-visit

2) Garre (1 De Garre): smaller, more intimate cafe. down a small blind alley and a little hard to find

We also picked up a copy of CAMRA's Good Beer Buide to Belgium, Holland, and Luxembourg (ISBN 1-85249-139-6) which helped _immensely_ when the beer menu was entirely in Flemish (as it was at Brugs Beertje).

As for Westvleteren, you should call ahead to see what beer they have available that day (057-401057 for a recorded message). Apparently, the lines can get very long for the 12. If you see a bottle or two at a store in Bruges, you might want to pick it up just in case (not sure how common it is to find it off-site; I got one at a place in Ixelles in Brussels).

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

One other thing to mention: if you have a chance, make the effort to visit one of the war cemetaries near Ypres. We took a 2-3 hour tour with an organized group and it was a very rewarding experience.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

In Bruges, definitely check out De Zolder at 53 Vlamingstraat. Nice place.