Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New at the LCBO

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

DougShoemaker

New at the LCBO

Post by DougShoemaker »

There are two new beers at the LCBO. From Argentina available in six-pack only, Cerveza Patagonia, a clear bottled Corona look-a-like, and Shok, which appears to be Labatt's answer to Molson Kick.

Happy Hunting, Cheers, Doug

DukeofYork = Richard

Post by DukeofYork = Richard »

Please be advised that you will be receiving papers from my lawyer. This post cost me one perfectly good set of pants. Back and front.

Everyone else who wants to stay out of court ought to put disclaimers on posts regarding beers of an extremely unusual and/or interesting nature.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

DougShoemaker wrote:There are two new beers at the LCBO. From Argentina available in six-pack only, Cerveza Patagonia, a clear bottled Corona look-a-like, and Shok, which appears to be Labatt's answer to Molson Kick.

Happy Hunting, Cheers, Doug
I guess dirty frat boys will have to be careful when asking their buddies to toss them a Shocker :evil: 8)

baiser

Post by baiser »

I've also seen Bishop's Finger, another english pale ale from the same brewer as spitfire, on the shelves.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

DougShoemaker wrote:From Argentina available in six-pack only, Cerveza Patagonia, a clear bottled Corona look-a-like
If anyone picks up a six-pack of this, I'd be interested in getting a bottle for RateBeer purposes.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

baiser wrote:I've also seen Bishop's Finger, another english pale ale from the same brewer as spitfire, on the shelves.
A 'Pale Ale"? Are you sure? This is more of a ruby-red, malty ale, with nice fruity after-tones. A must try if you can get hold of some.

baiser

Post by baiser »

Nope, I'm not sure :-? I guess I should be more careful what I assume. I thought it looked pale when I peered through the bottle, but I haven't picked one up yet.

pintbypint

Post by pintbypint »

GregClow wrote:
DougShoemaker wrote:From Argentina available in six-pack only, Cerveza Patagonia, a clear bottled Corona look-a-like
If anyone picks up a six-pack of this, I'd be interested in getting a bottle for RateBeer purposes.
I unfortuantely did. It was quite awful. Unfortuantely I'm in Windsor or I'd give you one. You aren't missing anything :)

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

The "corona look alike" is the Isenbeck S.A. Premium lager tarted up with higher alcohol, new name (Patagonia) and a trendy clear bottle for Canadian export.

Had one yesterday ....Corona is much better IMHO if that is any recommendation.
Aventinus rules!

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

The selection at my LCBO is getting tiresome. Pretty much the same stuff on the shelves that they had this time last year. I just came back with wine and didn't bother with the beer.

Recently I was in N Ireland where I enjoyed some other beers by Adnam's and Fuller's (brands usually available at LCBO) that I'm yet to see here. Fuller's Golden Circle and Adnam's Original Broadside (something like that) and enjoyed both immensely. It would be great to see either at the LCBO.

In Ireland I was somewhat annoyed to see Brooklyn Lager and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on the shelves of what is probably Belfast's best beer store ("off-licence"). I say annoyed because we live so much closer and have a free trade agreement with the US yet we still don't get these beers at either the LCBO or the Beer Store. :cry:

Publican

Post by Publican »

Philip1 wrote:The selection at my LCBO is getting tiresome. Pretty much the same stuff on the shelves that they had this time last year. I just came back with wine and didn't bother with the beer.

Recently I was in N Ireland where I enjoyed some other beers by Adnam's and Fuller's (brands usually available at LCBO) that I'm yet to see here. Fuller's Golden Circle and Adnam's Original Broadside (something like that) and enjoyed both immensely. It would be great to see either at the LCBO.

In Ireland I was somewhat annoyed to see Brooklyn Lager and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on the shelves of what is probably Belfast's best beer store ("off-licence"). I say annoyed because we live so much closer and have a free trade agreement with the US yet we still don't get these beers at either the LCBO or the Beer Store. :cry:
I've picked up Adnams Broadside in Buffalo and IMHO it's a much better ale than Adnams Suffolk Strong ( thank god there are still some bottles around). I see adverts for Sierra Nevada in What's brewing almost every month, they are sold in Safeway in the UK.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Publican wrote:
Philip1 wrote:The selection at my LCBO is getting tiresome. Pretty much the same stuff on the shelves that they had this time last year. I just came back with wine and didn't bother with the beer.
I'm ambivalent about the LCBO and its selection - obviously they can't stock every beer, but the overall selection can get stale - probably part of a balance to keep certain regular buyers happy.

As far as the LCBO an institution, it makes some frustrating choices, but would there be a general availability of certain products without it, at these prices? I suspect we MIGHT instead get a much more fragmented, random selection with uncertain pricing and storage issues.

I wonder if we would miss some aspects of the LCBO but not others.
In Beerum Veritas

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

We've submiited Broadside to the LCBO at least 2 or 3 times only to be rejected each time so we and the supplier are about ready to throw in the towel.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

esprit wrote:We've submiited Broadside to the LCBO at least 2 or 3 times only to be rejected each time so we and the supplier are about ready to throw in the towel.
How are these selections made???....is there a chimp throwing darts at a "yes-no" dart board deep in the bowels of LCBO HQ?? :-?
Aventinus rules!

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

you have to get 13 bureaucrat buyers to universally agree to something-how can you get progress?