Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Portland Oregon, Spring Beer Fest

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

burgermeister

Portland Oregon, Spring Beer Fest

Post by burgermeister »

Thought some of you might find this amusing. My parents live in Portland so my siblings and I typically plan trips out to visit around one of the beer festivals in the area. This year none of us could make it so the parental units went on there own. What follows is my father's report from the festival. Not the kind of review you might get from the ratebeer crowd but I found it entertaining. Being in their 70's, my parents probably don't fit the micro consumer profile, but they do enjoy good beer none the less. Here's my dad's review:

Beer Geeks,

Well, it has been a month since the Spring Beerfest, so I suppose it's time to do some kind of report.

First of all, a Beerfest just isn't the same without one or more children along. So, we found it less enjoyable than in the past, even though we avoided any "smoked salmon" ales.

First stop, Walking Man Brewing. No Homo Erectus this year which was a little disappointing. But, instead, there was "Somnambulator" Doppelbock and "Knuckle Dragger" Amber (I think). This was the high point of the afternoon. All down hill from here. Somnambulator turned out to be the "People's Choice" first choice and Knuckle Dragger was second. I can only describe Somnambulator as "Full Bodied" and very tasty. Knuckle Dragger, which must rate at the top of the IBU scale, was a little too bitter for MA. Megan (sister) would probably think it perfect.

Then, in no particular order,

Roots Organic Brewery (just opened in SE Portland in March), pouring Roots Organic Red, rated good by us, and Roots Organic IPA, rated not very good.

(About here, we stopped for lunch. A Gyro for MA and some Barbequed Ribs for PA. Food was pretty darn good, if expensive.)

BJ's Brewery, which is a California based chain with Brewpubs at Jantzen Beach and near the Lloyd Center. Probably a lot like Rock Bottom. Pouring Pirahna Pale Ale, rated not very good, and Bad Boy Leroy Brown, rated good with some chocolate tastes.

Flying Dog Brewery (can't remember where they're from), Pouring Hellerhound Bock, which got our "lawnmower beer" award, and Old Scratch Amber Lager, rated not very good.

Then came the grand finale, Liberator Brewery in Troutdale, pouring Carol's Specklebelly Amber and Lewis & Clark Dark. These tied for the "Bad Shit Award". Maybe we were just ready to leave.

Next year, we hope to have some company.

PA

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Awesome review! Especially the bit about the "smoked salmon" ales. :lol: