Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Pint Switcheroo in Bars

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Pint Switcheroo in Bars

Post by Belgian »

Ever had the experience of ordering something and being pretty sure they ran out and tried to fool you with something else?

At a certain popular King St East pub, I ordered something British I hadn't tried before, and the pint they brought had the identical color, head, carbonation and aroma of the Keiths two friends had ordered. I only noticed these details because it tasted really mediocre.

I didn't confront the server because it was only an uneasy sense of being jerked around and I couldn't prove anything.

It's my opinion this pathetic practice is lazy and insulting, and such places do not need my business, if they're doing this. Grr!
In Beerum Veritas

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

There are any number of taps out there that are not pouring what they say they are pouring. This is usually a problem for macros rather than micros.

My take on it - if you can't tell what you are drinking, why do you care?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

(which doesn't really apply to your case, since you could in fact tell)

Colin @ Canada

Post by Colin @ Canada »

Rule #1: Never ever try to fool the customer.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Belgian wrote: I didn't confront the server because it was only an uneasy sense of being jerked around and I couldn't prove anything.
You should've said something, it could have been an unintended order screw-up.

I've been sereved the wrong beer a good number of times, even at reputable beer places like the Victory, and it has almost always been cause by a busy server/pourer making an unintended mistake.

Recently, I was at The Horseshoe, and I ordered a pint of Wellington. It was foaming a fair bit, so the bartender set it aside to let it settle before topping off the glass. He was chatting with someone, and when he grabbed the glass to top it off, he was distracted and started filling it from the Amsterdam Blonde tap. Luckily I was watching, and he happily pulled me another pint. I can just imagine what I would've thought of the beer if I hadn't seen this and the bartender didn't catch the mistake. :o

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GregClow wrote:
Belgian wrote: I didn't confront the server because it was only an uneasy sense of being jerked around and I couldn't prove anything.
You should've said something, it could have been an unintended order screw-up.
Well you're right. I think sure this place regularly runs out of certain beers, and the servers can't be bothered running back and forth changing orders & so to them it's like 'screw this gig.' The 3 glasses were identical to everyone except her, hmm...

Nothing like a server playing games if you question it too (don't ask me about the rancid Beamish incident.) But you're right, gotta ask politely yet be prepared to be fiesty.
In Beerum Veritas

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Amongst the worst case scenario's;
I walked into the cooler of a country hotel just west of Kitchener that chained 5 kegs together on every line.

Looking for the Formosa Light line to check on the problem they were reporting I discovered 5 individual brands linked in a chain including Canadian, Coors Light, Export and our regular Formosa. It actually didn't taste too bad but was foaming because of a bad keg seal on the lead keg.
Go figure.

Images

Post by Images »

*cough**cough*coolbeer*cough**cough*

Sorry, something caught in my throat. :wink:

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Images wrote:*cough**cough*coolbeer*cough**cough*
Yeah, I'm always amused when I see the Cool Beer truck doing keg drop-offs at the grotty bars in my neighbourhood, none of which actually have any Cool tap handles on display...

How the hell have those guys managed to get away with it for so long?

Images

Post by Images »

GregClow wrote:How the hell have those guys managed to get away with it for so long?
From what I hear - pricing.

And what's MosLab gonna do? Hire someone to "audit" the taps under cover buy buying a pint of each? Now there would be any interesting job. I could just see the questioning of the auditor if it goes to court...

Lawyer: So, you were in full control of your senses at the time of the audit?
Auditor: Yes.
Lawyer: How long were you at place "x"?
Auditor: Approximately 1 hour
Lawyer: And how many drinks did you have?
Auditor: 3 pints.
Lawyer: :o Yeah right, in "full control". I move to dismiss!

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Funny, yesterday I went to a local Vietnamese restaurant for a big bowl of their great Pho...they have an Amsterdam fridge but almost evertime I ask for an Amsterdam they're out...the last two times they said they had Amber so I ordered a pint. Both times I got a pint of blonde, non-descript beer which I found hard to imagine was Amsterdam Amber. As I've never had the Amber before, can anyone confirm that it is actually amber in colour and not this piss-yellow stuff I had.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

I went to a local Vietnamese restaurant for a big bowl of their great Pho... Both times I got a pint of blonde, non-descript beer which I found hard to imagine was Amsterdam Amber
pho noodles and faux beer? :roll:

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

esprit wrote:Funny, yesterday I went to a local Vietnamese restaurant for a big bowl of their great Pho...they have an Amsterdam fridge but almost evertime I ask for an Amsterdam they're out...the last two times they said they had Amber so I ordered a pint. Both times I got a pint of blonde, non-descript beer which I found hard to imagine was Amsterdam Amber. As I've never had the Amber before, can anyone confirm that it is actually amber in colour and not this piss-yellow stuff I had.
Yes it is amber in colour. Maybe it was their Natural Blonde. Their website has pictures of the beer in clear bottles.

http://www.amsterdambeer.com/beer.html
lister

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

inertiaboy wrote:
I went to a local Vietnamese restaurant for a big bowl of their great Pho... Both times I got a pint of blonde, non-descript beer which I found hard to imagine was Amsterdam Amber
pho noodles and faux beer? :roll:
Part of me is laughing at that joke, but another part is thinking: wait a minute, those words don't actually rhyme.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GregClow wrote:
Images wrote:*cough**cough*coolbeer*cough**cough*
Yeah, I'm always amused when I see the Cool Beer truck doing keg drop-offs at the grotty bars in my neighbourhood, none of which actually have any Cool tap handles on display...

How the hell have those guys managed to get away with it for so long?
In Medaeval Germany they would all be bound and dangled headfirst in their so-called beer...

Sometimes the old ways are good ways.
In Beerum Veritas