Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Quote of the Day

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Josh Oakes

Quote of the Day

Post by Josh Oakes »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ory/Front/

"We're not in the cheap beer game," Mr. Sleeman says.

Old Milwaukee, PBR, Stroh's, Schlitz...need I say more?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Josh Oakes wrote:"We're not in the cheap beer game," Mr. Sleeman says.

Yes, but notice that none of them have Sleeman in the brand name.

Sleeman's has always been very, very careful to keep their budget beers completely seperate from their "premium" line. Very good marketing on their part, as I'm sure most people aren't even aware that Sleeman brews the beers you mention, they likely think that they are just cheap American imports.

While the quality of his beers may be questionable, it's hard to argue against the fact that Sleeman is a pretty smart businessman, at least when it comes to keeping the "premium" shine on the core Sleeman brands.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

"Now, we've got a cool bottle and we think our beer's got some increased value . . . the consumer walks into the beer store and says, 'Well, a $16 difference, Mr. Sleeman -- I love your beer but I just don't see why I should pay that much more.' "
EXACTLY! I am not a huge advocate of the bargain brands but if it comes to a 24 of those, or a 24 of Molbatts/Sleeman, price is the deciding factor. Because they are simply NOT $X better.

Now, I will happily pay a premium for say, St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout. Why? Put the two beside each other and one IS that much better.

Lesson? Pay more for quality not for advertising hype. Apply to other industries as you like.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

And if the bottle was really that cool, wouldn't they demand more than a 10 cent deposit? :D

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

Josh Oakes wrote:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ory/Front/

Even Sleeman's annual report talks about being in the cheap beer game (they use the phrase "value segment"). Dude must be getting senile or something.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Josh Oakes wrote:
Josh Oakes wrote:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ory/Front/

Even Sleeman's annual report talks about being in the cheap beer game (they use the phrase "value segment"). Dude must be getting senile or something.
Or he drinks his own wares. :wink:
Aventinus rules!