Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Breaking through the bottom of the barrel

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I'd just like to say thanks to Rob and all the others that put out Algonquin Honey Brown. I was wondering what happened to the brew beyond finding out a couple of years ago of Brick buying them. Sadly it follows the long line of products disappearing that I really like. :(

I wish someone would bring out a HB with the taste and quality that matches the Algonquin one. If a more or less clone is made, would Molson's be all over the brewery that made it?

I clearly have different taste preferences than many of you here particularly a sensitivity to bitterness. Rickard's has been the closest, for what I look for in a honey brown, to the Algonquin version. It's not neck and neck close, more like miles apart but closest of the rest. (Having it frequently on tap and easily available in bottles plays a small part too.) I hope you don't consider that an insult. I view that more as a sad state of affairs for all the honey browns out there. I've tried as many as I could find. Muskoka is getting another shot after an alright tasting several months ago.
lister

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Different tastes are always welcome Lister, it makes the board much more interesting.

Ever since my homebrew honey disaster last year, I've been quite afraid of any beer with the word honey in it. Having said that, I tried a very good Polish Mead at a friend's place in Buffalo last year - best honey alcoholic beverage I have ever had, hands down.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Beer/Be ... OfID=10314

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

tupalev wrote:Different tastes are always welcome Lister, it makes the board much more interesting.
I think so too. It's good for discovering new things to try. Sometimes it works (Denison's and Magnotta's weissebiers) and sometimes it doesn't (Headstrong PA and Sgt Major's IPA.)
Ever since my homebrew honey disaster last year, I've been quite afraid of any beer with the word honey in it. Having said that, I tried a very good Polish Mead at a friend's place in Buffalo last year - best honey alcoholic beverage I have ever had, hands down.
I don't think you should be afraid of any commercial honey beers. Doing our brews we've had a few "disasters" but that hasn't put us off the commercial versions.

That mead looks like an interesting brew. :D Was it picked up at Premier Gourmet or someplace else? We're going to be doing a run down to PG sometime this summer. After reading about the beer I think I'd definitely like to bring home a couple of bottles.
lister

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

That mead looks like an interesting brew. Was it picked up at Premier Gourmet or someplace else? We're going to be doing a run down to PG sometime this summer. After reading about the beer I think I'd definitely like to bring home a couple of bottles.
Sorry Lister, I don't know where the guys got it, I'm just glad they shared!

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

I was in on this mead with tupalev that night, and I have to say my chest hair has grown back nicely! Lister, from what I’ve gathered from your posts and the styles of beer you like (similar to mine), you may not want to load your car full of Lednicki Miód. I remember it having a very nice honey taste but at 14% alcohol, it punches you in the mouth! Still worth a try though.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Beer Geek wrote:I was in on this mead with tupalev that night, and I have to say my chest hair has grown back nicely! Lister, from what I’ve gathered from your posts and the styles of beer you like (similar to mine), you may not want to load your car full of Lednicki Miód. I remember it having a very nice honey taste but at 14% alcohol, it punches you in the mouth! Still worth a try though.
I don't mind the higher alcohol level. I have that and higher all the time with wine, martini's and mixed drinks. *hick* I do drink stronger beers too. It's the bitterness that bothers me.
lister

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

I was in on this mead with tupalev that night, and I have to say my chest hair has grown back nicely! Lister, from what I’ve gathered from your posts and the styles of beer you like (similar to mine), you may not want to load your car full of Lednicki Miód. I remember it having a very nice honey taste but at 14% alcohol, it punches you in the mouth! Still worth a try though.
Ah, c'mon BeerGeek, what's the matter, can't handle your mead? Just kidding, it was potent in your face stuff, but strangely, I found it the perfect nightcap to a long day of drinking (say, better than that pizza you ordered). Good times, I encourage anyone interested to check out the Buffalo fest in September this year.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

tupalev wrote:Good times, I encourage anyone interested to check out the Buffalo fest in September this year.
Assuming that one actually happens this time... But let's hope so!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Andicus wrote:
tupalev wrote:Good times, I encourage anyone interested to check out the Buffalo fest in September this year.
Assuming that one actually happens this time... But let's hope so!
It happened last year without a hitch, so I don't see any reason why it won't happen this year. The one that was cancelled was two or three years ago.

swall

Post by swall »

It is wrong on every level. 170 year brewing tradition???? Not.
Well, if you add up the total number of years each of John's Breweries have been brewing (Okanagan Spring, Shaftebury, Unibroue, Guelph and the Maritimes) it just might add up to 170!

"Original Draught is the first of its kind for our brewery." - what??? good beer, bad beer...what???[/quote] It is the first of its kind. They are able to call it Draught and not Draft because this beer in not pasturized.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

GregClow wrote:It happened last year without a hitch, so I don't see any reason why it won't happen this year. The one that was cancelled was two or three years ago.
Yep. My mistake. I was the one that "didn't happen" last year! It was the year before that it didn't happen.