Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Buy at the brewery

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Buy at the brewery

Post by JerCraigs »

Gunny wrote: At the very least, pick a six of bottles up from the Brewery. The Brewer's margins are much better when purchased from the Brewery. I grabbed six Pils and a dozen Pale Ale this afternoon from the Brewery. I'm currently enjoying the Pils and noticing nuances that I didn't with my last purchase.
Gunny posted this in another thread and I decided it was worth repeating. This is true for ALL breweries I believe - selling straight from the brewery means they don't have to pay the associated LCBO/TBS fees. So if you have easy access to your local brewery its probably worth the trip.

Plus, it doesn't get much fresher than straight from the source.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

I was going to ask about this. I've always assumed that was the case, and have had people suggest it, but never knew for sure. I'm lucky enough here that I also get the option of supporting private retail stores vs. the NSLC, as the locals are available at both.

I do have a follow-up question, though. Would buying direct from the brewery have an impact on sales at gov't stores to the point where an LCBO manager says that's not selling as much as my Molbatts stuff/Eurolagers so I better get rid of it? I doubt there's enough people that would make a point to always go to the brewery rather than the gov't store, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

I think the same thing applies to Ontario wineries. They often have the same wine (and typically many others not available at the LCBO) at the same price, but recoup more per bottle.

Now, if only breweries could be as "visitor friendly" as some Niagara wineries.... :wink: