Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Creemore articles in today's Star

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Mother G

Post by Mother G »

Their is a new Upper Canada brand on the way.

Upper Canada Pale Ale will be introduced shortly.

It is not intended to reach the Keith's consumer. It is intended to reach people who like a hoppier ale that has significantly higer BU's than most North American style Pale Ales.

It may not meet the needs of all of the individuals here but the intent is to "raise the bar" and demonstrate the willingness to deliver beers that are fuller in flavour.

I look forward to trying it. I think that Upper Canada beers still have a solid place in the Premium Beer category and think this offering will further ground that.

Apples to apples I guess. Not for everyone but really ... in life what is?

Looking forward to some nice hot weather this weekend and the chance to enjoy it with good beer!

Have a good weekend everyone.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Mother G wrote:Upper Canada Pale Ale will be introduced shortly.

It is not intended to reach the Keith's consumer. It is intended to reach people who like a hoppier ale that has significantly higer BU's than most North American style Pale Ales.
Interesting & promising news. I look forward to trying this.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

tupalev wrote: Psss....Molson can't hear you. This posting was about The Toronto Star article, and the author. What are you going on about? Ranting against Molson? I think much has been said about the subject but by all means, keep on going, it is not tiresome in the least...
Who is this dork that thinks Steam Whistle is in the "heir apparent"?
The author, the "dork" according to you (nicely put, guy takes the time to write about the Ontario Micro scene, you dismiss him as a dork for making a decent argument; I can think of a few choice descriptions for you Mr. Pootz), is just proposing who may be able to benefit from the purchase that's all. Did you even read the article before going on one of your typical nonsensical blurbs?
Hmmmm....I'll just leave this snotty screed with the fact that I hold your opinions in the same validity you seem to hold mine.

Hard to say where this unfathomable hubris comes from :roll:
Aventinus rules!

Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

Please correct me if I am wrong. Isn't Creemore the only beer on the market that is fresh. I mean its non-pasteurized, no preservatives. Like draft beer. Creemore can only keep for a while then it goes bad. Is it rumour or doens't Creemore pick up their beer and dump it after two weeks of shelf life.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Please correct me if I am wrong. Isn't Creemore the only beer on the market that is fresh. I mean its non-pasteurized, no preservatives. Like draft beer. Creemore can only keep for a while then it goes bad. Is it rumour or doens't Creemore pick up their beer and dump it after two weeks of shelf life.
Welcome to the forum Mad Hatter. I'm not sure where to start with this except to say that there are many fine Ontario micros that are non-pasteurized and fresh available for your consumption! Now I'm not too familiar with the SW Ontario scene, but I would guess you would have access to some of these. I'll let the more articulate and knowledgeable forum members explain further, but if you need suggestions, I know the Bartowel community would be only more than happy to provide a few. Cheers and happy drinking.

Jeff

howardt

Post by howardt »

Hello Bartowellers,

I am late to this thread and apologize for giving it a rip after the fact. In response to Jon's (John's) article, I agree with three things that I read in the bartowel. First that he is a 'dork', second that he wrote a good article and third that it is time to move on (except for my last word on the subject).

On being a 'dork', the writer of the article went out of his way to set up a babe, some hay bales and the rest of that shite. $25k or $50k worth of newsprint color 'adworthiness' that he chose to toss off on a regrettable stunt. Imagine if he had devoted that space to the great beer cap poster the Small Brewers unveiled the next day. Imagine if he had just covered that real news event that many small brewers worked hard to pull off. I guess it would have been less leverage for the few who took up the Star's tabloid appeal. Apparently it sells newspapers though, since at least one of you found it entertaining.

I can say first hand that the 25 or more women who work at our brewery found it insulting. As did I.

On the article being good. Beyond the window dressing it was ok. Unfortunately it was the wrong article on the wrong day. The brain trust of the Ontario Craft Brewery industry hosted a media event the next day to launch their campaign and show off the goods. Jonny took a pass clearly knowing more than the collected souls who actually make the beer. Hardly a relevant craft brewer writer.

And the last word. Some of you know that I am no longer President (or a shareholder) of Creemore Springs. This is amicable and less fodder for discussion than the gal in the greenfeed. I will stay tuned into the brewery and have no doubt that it will remain the best producer of lager style beers in North America. In fact, I still get to take part in the Friday am taste panels.

One of you said that this is less interesting now. And I agree. For those of you stuck on an indie or nothing approach to beer, I wonder if you maintain the same moral purchasing high ground for everything - from toasters to toothpaste. Many of you also love the indie nature of our local scene and spend freely on imported brands now (similarily) owned by giants. I also understand that previous posts or comments of mine may appear hypocritical to my current 'everything is alright' pose. So what. Judge a beer by the beer...I know a good one when I see it.

Howard Thompson

past president and ceo, Creemore Springs Brewery

ps

Just drank the 'Affligem Blond'. Nice Belgian abbey try.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

On being a 'dork', the writer of the article went out of his way to set up a babe, some hay bales and the rest of that shite. $25k or $50k worth of newsprint color 'adworthiness' that he chose to toss off on a regrettable stunt.
Does you know the meaning of the word ironic? That's what I got from it. I thought it was hilarious. But to each his own, you obviously have (had) a more vested interest than I.

Imagine if he had devoted that space to the great beer cap poster the Small Brewers unveiled the next day
I saw a great Small Brewers poster last year. Unfortunately, politics prevented it from being distributed. Typical, but I'm not surprised. Everyone made their choice and I hope the Craft Brewers are successful with their new launch.

Howard, I've been a big fan of your brewery since its inception, but save the name calling for those who deserve it. The article, specifically the pictures were bloody ironic, if you and the women who work at Creemore take that seriously than you're even more uptight than I, and most will tell you I'm pretty uptight.

I think you'll find many in the Bartowel community are amongst the small minority who seek out independent producers of food and beverage. Consumer goods are a little harder and not a fair comparison, but do not discount the effort.

From my conversations with the writer, he is a chap who does this on his spare time unpaid because he enjoys micros, thus it is not breaking news or anything of the sort. I would expect top see an article on the craft brewers launch and their efforts in the future.

Of course Creemore is less interesting now. They sold out to the "evil" Molson, or Coors in many eyes now. What's worse than that? I wish all associated the best of luck, and I do not blame them, but I can't deny the integrity aspect hurts a little. I hope you're right and that the product does not change from being the world class beer that it is, and in the short term I believe you, but after a number of years of living in cynical big city Toronto, I think the integrity of Creemore will be compromised somehow in the future for sure. I hope I'm wrong.

Jeff

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Hmmmm....I'll just leave this snotty screed with the fact that I hold your opinions in the same validity you seem to hold mine.

Hard to say where this unfathomable hubris comes from

Pootz, I had not visited this thread since your comments.

You are the one who started the unnecessary name calling to an author on "our side" (the good beer fight). I'll take my "snottiness" over you ignorance any day. My "unfathomable hubris" (nice big words there) comes from when people comment on things they do not seem to read, or post nonsense in general. I will continue to chat about such cases. If I have grouped you in this description without merit, you have my apologies, but I stand by my comments; you're name calling just pissed me off that's all. Take what you give.

You're thoughts on my opinions mean absolutely nothing to me but thanks for sharing.

Jeff

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

howardt wrote:For those of you stuck on an indie or nothing approach to beer, I wonder if you maintain the same moral purchasing high ground for everything - from toasters to toothpaste.
Implying we're hypocrites on that confused-moral basis is fallacy and, frankly, sounds like a tiny bit of a defensive dodge to say that (and why be defensive, who cares?) No, my toaster wasn't hand-made from scratch by a few craftsmen in Elora, but that's incredibly irrelevant to how the integrity of a brewing method affects a beer.

Fortunately a good 15-year Philips toaster doesn't need to be manufactured with an artisanal ethic, as truly great beer often does.
howardt wrote:ps

Just drank the 'Affligem Blond'. Nice Belgian abbey try.
Do try the Achel 8 next time you get a chance. Incredible candy-store aromas, and just on another level entirely.
See, in the end, we just like fine beer, and all this "high-moral vs justifying corporate sellout" is all rhetorical BS, for in the end the beer will speak... we will either still like Creemore or it will become simply irrelevant as Keiths now is.
In Beerum Veritas

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

tupalev wrote:

Hard to say where this unfathomable hubris comes from

Pootz, I had not visited this thread since your comments.

You are the one who started the unnecessary name calling to an author on "our side" (the good beer fight). I'll take my "snottiness" over you ignorance any day. My "unfathomable hubris" (nice big words there) comes from when people comment on things they do not seem to read, or post nonsense in general. I will continue to chat about such cases. If I have grouped you in this description without merit, you have my apologies, but I stand by my comments; you're name calling just pissed me off that's all. Take what you give.

You're thoughts on my opinions mean absolutely nothing to me but thanks for sharing.

Jeff
I just call 'em as I see em.
Aventinus rules!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Hmm, there are too few members here for acrimonious BS, you could always do the logical thing and go fo a beer. Because at the end of the pint nobody is better than anyone else.

Life's too short dudes, move on (or at least confine it to e-mail :D )
In Beerum Veritas

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

howardt wrote:I will stay tuned into the brewery and have no doubt that it will remain the best producer of lager style beers in North America.
Sorry, but isn't it a bit presumptuous to call a brewery that has only ever brewed two styles of beer "the best producer of lager style beers in North America"? I'm not saying that the statement is in the same league as Carlsberg's "probably the best beer in the world" nonsense, but it does seem a little over-the-top to me.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

[America"? I'm not saying that the statement is in the same league as Carlsberg's "probably the best beer in the world" nonsense, but it does seem a little over-the-top to me.[/quote]

Thanks, dude..I was hoping somebody would speak up on this. I'll sneak back to my corner of the bar to stay out of all the flaming that goes on here

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

howardt wrote:I guess it would have been less leverage for the few who took up the Star's tabloid appeal. Apparently it sells newspapers though, since at least one of you found it entertaining.
Hardly a relevant craft brewer writer.
I will stay tuned into the brewery and have no doubt that it will remain the best producer of lager style beers in North America.
For those of you stuck on an indie or nothing approach to beer, I wonder if you maintain the same moral purchasing high ground for everything - from toasters to toothpaste. Many of you also love the indie nature of our local scene and spend freely on imported brands now (similarily) owned by giants.
Spoken like a true "Brewery Giant", comments like these makes me think that Creemore has already begun to change.

I also have to add that I think it is great that the Ontario Craft Brewers are actually using the word “Craft” instead of “small brewers”. I know Creemore has been against the use of the word “Craft”, thinking that people will associate it with people brewing beer in their bathtub. :-? I never quite understood their rational, I think it’s the perfect word to describe the hands on, small batch, quality beer producers in Ontario. I can’t wait for the day Molson decides to use the word “Craft” in their marketing for Creemore. Since Howard sold out to the Devil, all he will be able to do is site back at the Friday morning beer tasting and bitch about it.
Last edited by Beer Geek on Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Beer Geek wrote:I can’t wait for the day Molson decides to use the word “Craft” in their marketing for Creemore. Since Howard sold out to the Devil, all he will be able to do is sit back at the Friday morning beer tasting and bitch about it.
Howard, you must remember, has done nothing evil or immoral. I know you are being facetious but if Creemore ceases to meaningfully exist ('IF') well then, this is no more a crime than if brewers just stopped making it. That's life.

I wonder if we'll see handcrafted Creemore clones from real Ontario micros! They can even come up with a similar name like "Evermore" or "Creedence." That would get Molson's panties in a bind I bet, legal or not...
In Beerum Veritas