Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Creemore articles in today's Star

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Creemore articles in today's Star

Post by GregClow »

There's a great set of articles in today's Star (by Jon Filson, natch) about the Creemore buy-out and the resulting "changing of the guard" in Ontario's micro scene:

Small is beautiful
Now that Molson has bought Creemore, will it cheapen one of Canada's microbrewing gems? The No. 1 microbrew spot is now up for grabs and Steam Whistle is heir apparent.

Competitors eye Creemore taps
Now that it's part of a massive conglomerate, Creemore's position as the "little guy" is gone. And its unofficial status as Ontario's flagship beer in the GTA has been put at risk as a result.

Forget the Creemore babes
Molson to maintain low-key advertising campaign

Mr. Filson, if you happen to be reading this (I suspect that you are probably a lurker around these parts) - kudos on another excellent feature. It's great to see regular coverage of good beer in one of our major dailies.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Thanks for posting this Greg, I read with much enjoyment this morning - I do not usually expect well written micro articles over breakfast. But Mr. Filson has been doing this for the past several months (it seems like once every few weeks in the food section) and you're right, it is nice to see. I thought the pictures were hilarious (although before I realized they were a mock up, I think I already muttered "It Starts Here....")

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Just don't cheapen out Creemore lager like you did Urbock and keep the 1/2 liter bombers.

Who is this dork that thinks Steam Whistle is in the "heir apparent"?
Aventinus rules!

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Just don't cheapen out Creemore lager like you did Urbock and keep the 1/2 liter bombers.
Psss....Molson can't hear you. This posting was about The Toronto Star article, and the author. What are you going on about? Ranting against Molson? I think much has been said about the subject but by all means, keep on going, it is not tiresome in the least...
Who is this dork that thinks Steam Whistle is in the "heir apparent"?
No one is suggesting the Creemore and Steam Whistle are equal in terms of quality, taste, and/or reputation, but when looking at "heir apparents" I think you can make a good argument that Steam Whistle is in a good position to pick up the reigns as Ontario's go-to micro (in the way Creemore was). The article also addresses that Steam Whistle might not have had the highest reputation amongst connoisseurs in the past and this may hurt it. The author, the "dork" according to you (nicely put, guy takes the time to write about the Ontario Micro scene, you dismiss him as a dork for making a decent argument; I can think of a few choice descriptions for you Mr. Pootz), is just proposing who may be able to benefit from the purchase that's all. Did you even read the article before going on one of your typical nonsensical blurbs?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

pootz wrote: Just don't cheapen out Creemore lager like you did Urbock...
What do you mean by "cheapen out"? The urBock has been great these last couple of years, IMO.

Or are you're referring to the rumours that Molson is going to kill off the urBock? If so, you should go and actually read the articles, where you will see that they have no plans to do so.
pootz wrote: Who is this dork that thinks Steam Whistle is in the "heir apparent"?
As tupalev said, try reading the articles before throwing out insults like this. Filson has proven himself to be a knowledgable and enthusiastic supporter of craft beer in Ontario. I don't always agree with his assessment of particular beers, but he's far from being a "dork".

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I agree - the last Urbock I bought recently was great, it's not Weltenburger but then not every beer has to be! I found it really special. And it had enough gentleness to appeal to a large audience, just as it us, unchanged, 'un-frankenbeered.'

We are so afraid of change yet change happens whether or not we fear it.
In Beerum Veritas

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I haven't as yet read the articles in Toronto Star and look forward to doing so.

The takeover of Creemore is of interest but its significance is, for me, limited. There are many craft brews out there, and many are just as good or (again in the humble view of this scribe) better than Creemore Lager. Creemore's previous owners found the right time to sell and more power to them. If MolsonCoors keeps the taste the same, fine. If it changes it, well, I personally won't care since there are so many good craft brews out there. Possibly any change MolsonCoors makes to the flavour may be one I'd like since at present, while I like Creemore, it is by no means my favourite craft lager in the market.

Gary

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

old faithful wrote: Possibly any change MolsonCoors makes to the flavour may be one I'd like since at present, while I like Creemore, it is by no means my favourite craft lager in the market.

Gary
I wouldn't hold my breath on MolsonCoors making a positive change to the taste of Creemore beer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Micros WILL come and go regardless, the niche always gets filled.

I agree people are making so much of this - I only compulsively bought UrBock recently because it was 'pre-Molson', aside from liking it better than the lager and I'd miss it the odd time.

But Creemore's NOT my go-to beer, and besides... the "name" being bought out is no worse than any tiny Ontario micro disappearing for other reasons.

Let's get off the soapbox. Keep buying real indie micros if you want to put your money where your mouth is. Tell your friends about it.
In Beerum Veritas

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

When Sleeman started to brew the Upper Canada beers I found them much better than before. Creemore - I had a pint tonight at the Pour House - has a distinctive palate, earthy-like, dryish, grainy. The taste is not quite like any other beer (of any style) I know. I hope it stays around but I don't rule out that it can be improved. I did read those Star pieces and thought they were well done although again I think the idea for micro fans should be to try many beers continually not just one and thus the loss of one micro should not be overrated. Nor do I see any trend developing from the buy, necessarily - the same kind of thing happened in the States (e.g. the Bridgport investment by A-B I think it was, the purchase of Celis' Texas venture by Miller, etc.) years ago and it didn't bode greatly for the industry there one way or the other. In terms of lagers here, I like Cameron's lager on draft, when very fresh it tastes very good, it has an elegant, refined palate, probably Warsteiner is like that in Germany. (There is a Luxembourg pils I am reminded of, too, the name escapes me for a minute). Apart from that, I like Upper Canada Lager and recall a tasting once at Steve's place where he offered up, blind, Rebellion (post-Sleeman purchase) and challenged us to pick it out, which I could not but we all agreed it was great. I need to try Walkerville's Lager, haven't gone there yet. Lager is hard to get right, but we've got some fine ones here. Belle Guele too by the way is pretty good.

Gary

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

old faithful wrote:When Sleeman started to brew the Upper Canada beers I found them much better than before.
Gary
Agreed. But different scenario, no?
In Beerum Veritas

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

When Sleeman purchased UC, they eliminated the dreaded 'UC taste' which was a background infection/flavour that could be detected across all brands from the .9 to the stout.

Unfortunetly, Sleeman turned the UC line into mostly flavourless products (possibly all lagers) that have virtually no aroma and minimal taste. The real indicator of their direction with this is the UC "Red" I sampled at the Rebel House the other day. It makes Rickards look flavourful. If they are trying to build a super-premium line to compete regionally with their own Sleeman lineup, then they shouldn't have put consumers goods marketing weenies in charge of it. The Dark is bland, the wheat is bland and this red is pathetic. Wrong direction guys!

(step off soapbox)

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Well again, different viewpoints, different taste expectations. I think the UC products are good products, the lager tasted fresh is very good but the palate is not a heavy one, clearly. I can't stress enough the condition. The other day I had an Arkell in a pub and it was half-sour, really sad because it can be so much better. Ditto for Upper Canada Lager (this at a different place). I should have known because the places were not "micro haunts" and turnover on the good stuff must be really slow. But anyway flavour is personal..

Gary

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Wow OF, I read Rob's post and immediately thought of Arkell, which I tried recently in bottle and it was remarkably bland, flavorless stuff. They could work on that.

I have had very decent UC draught on tap in recent years, but maybe I was just grateful it wasn't defective. UC used to be really unreliable in bottles I remember.
In Beerum Veritas

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Yes, and as Rob said there was apparently a problem with infection prior to the Sleeman takeover, but Sleeman got that out and the beers are clean and tasty now. Not hugely complex, no, but good quality pure beers. Regarding Wellington County, the Arkell and County bottled beers seem a little lighter than they were but Iron Duke is better than ever and so is Imperial Stout, so I plan to focus on those. As far as draft goes, generally I like all the Wellington County on draft (cask or other) but occasionally you get one that is too old, from lack of enough turn-over in the bar. I plan to ask for a taste in the future, to avoid disappoitment.

Gary