Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Imperial Stout Orders are rolling in!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

A beer's aging ability is really a function many things. Good acidity is required in the young beer to preserve it. This acidity mellows out with age, making the beer taste "smoother". The use of dark or roasted malts in a beer drops the pH considerably, hence most dark ales age better than pale ales. Alcohol is a factor as well. It serves as a preservative as well as a necessary part of the beer, so the stronger a beer is, technicaly, the longer it should age. I'm not sure if that applies to Olde English 800 Malt Liquor, though if I had one around, it would age forever. Hops are also an integral part of the equation. They are a natural preservative and in large doses, add immensely to the age-ability. So to sum up: Dark malts- the Tsarina is a seriously black beer, Alcohol-9% in this case, hops- 80 IBU's worth= a sure formula for aging. Please ensure that it is kept in a cool, dark place as free from vibration as possible as well.
Because this is the first time we brew this, we have no way of knowing how long to age it. In any case, you won't have to rush to drink it. All that and I still have not given a definitive answer on maximum age ability have I? :wink:
"Every day above ground is a good one."

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

PRMason wrote:Because this is the first time we brew this, we have no way of knowing how long to age it. In any case, you won't have to rush to drink it. All that and I still have not given a definitive answer on maximum age ability have I? :wink:
I apologize, this question was not to unfairly put you on the spot. That's a better than fine explanation of how a beer structured like TK generally behaves, which (combined with some common sense) will help us optimally appreciate this beer whether it holds up a few years or a few decades - we can't expect a crystal-ball prediction.

When TK appears to arrive at maturity we might say "I think it's peaking now." Of course that may be highly subjective, and it's easy to forego future gains because we "like it already now!" That's the trade-off and there's no precedent to follow.

So, without having insane expectations over a case of beer, we'll probably all want to try one or two right away and compare tasting notes over months and years of ageing. It's a very unique circumstance to participate in.
In Beerum Veritas

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

PRMason wrote: I'm not sure if that applies to Olde English 800 Malt Liquor, though if I had one around, it would age forever.
If the 1978 vintage Billy Beer I had this past weekend is any indication, the Old English 800 will not hold up anywhere near forever.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Perry, sorry for being impatient but I was wondering if you had an idea as to when we will be able to pick up the Tsarina?
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

I anticipate that the beer will be ready mid-Sept. I want to talk to Ralph at Volo about having a small get together there where many of you (the ones with vehicles) can pick up you order in Toronto. I will keep yopu all posted as to the exact date and other info.
"Every day above ground is a good one."