Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Oh by the way...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

PRMason
Bar Fly

Oh by the way...

Post by PRMason »

Sgt. Major IPA won a silver medal at the Canadian Brewing Awards! Gold Medals went to: Phillips Original IPA, Old Yale Sargent's IPA( both from B.C.) and Wild Rose Industrial Park IPA of Calgary. This is the first medal of any kind we have won, so it's quite exciting.
P.S I'm posting a lot because my wife and daughter (Katarina-get it?) are out of town and I'm getting to old for drinking and whoring, so this is it.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

PRMason wrote:Sgt. Major IPA won a silver medal at the Canadian Brewing Awards! Gold Medals went to: Phillips Original IPA, Old Yale Sargent's IPA( both from B.C.) and Wild Rose Industrial Park IPA of Calgary. This is the first medal of any kind we have won, so it's quite exciting.
P.S I'm posting a lot because my wife and daughter (Katarina-get it?) are out of town and I'm getting too old for drinking and whoring, so this is it.
My excuse is too much time at a workstation. :D

Let me be the first here to say, well done and well deserved, Perry.
In Beerum Veritas

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Well deserved, indeed! Congratulations, Perry.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Congrats, Perry!

Speaking of the awards - did anyone go to the ceremony, and does anyone have a complete list of winners?

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

I have just sent Cass the press release the CBA sent me. It has the complete list of winners.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Congrats Perry! And the same to the guys at Wild Rose. Perry have you sampled their Industrial parK Ale? Very mellow.
Aventinus rules!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

GregClow wrote:Congrats, Perry!

Speaking of the awards - did anyone go to the ceremony, and does anyone have a complete list of winners?
Wasn't this a while ago? The Wine Access magazine awards thingy? If it was I went. It was ok but they tend not to get the far away stuff.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

JerCraigs wrote:
GregClow wrote:Speaking of the awards - did anyone go to the ceremony, and does anyone have a complete list of winners?
Wasn't this a while ago? The Wine Access magazine awards thingy? If it was I went. It was ok but they tend not to get the far away stuff.
No, we're talking about the Canadian Brewing Awards that took place at the Bier Markt this past Wednesday. It was one of the off-shoot events of the Fort York festival.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

The Canadian Brewing Awards were held in April in Toronto. It is sponsored by Wine Access/Taps magazine. The awards "ceremony" takes place much later in the year.
Kudos to Doug from Church-Key. Along with my silver for the IPA, he got a Gold for the Holy Smoke and a Bronze for the Chocolate Porter.

the.brewer

Post by the.brewer »

Greg,
I know it is confusing but the awards that were held at the Bier Markt on Wednesday were the Ontario Brewing Awards. These awards are runs by the same company that runs the Fort York festival. The Canadian Brewing Awards are run by Taps Magazine. The competition was held in April and the awards will likely be at the Duke of Westminster in several months time. Results are available in next issue of Taps Magazine. Sorry, I've just realised that I have repeated most of your message, Perry.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Thanks for the clarification, Perry & Michael. Between the Canadian awards, the Ontario awards, and the Golden Tap awards, it's all getting very confusing! :-?

Were any of the out-of-province award winners available for tasting at last year's ceremonies at the Duke? I'm interested in trying a few of them.

And does anyone have the winners list from the Ontario awards that happened this past week?

propeller

Post by propeller »

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that Propeller (from Halifax) Brewery's London Style Porter won the gold medal at the 2005 Canadian Brewing Awards in the Porter category.

This fall our 650ML Extra Special Bitter will be available at the LCBO for their Autumn Ales Promotion. We are going to submitting the Porter for a future selection.

Congrats to all the winners! The list of all 2005 Canadian Brewing Award Winners will be available soon on publovers.com

Cheers,
Chris

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

propeller wrote:This fall our 650ML Extra Special Bitter will be available at the LCBO for their Autumn Ales Promotion. We are going to submitting the Porter for a future selection.
Congrats on the medal-winning Porter, Chris... and Bon Courage with its eventual release here.

I don't know if I've tried many Propeller products, I will certainly grab the ESB or others when I see it. I'm always delighted with how many good micro brews we've got here in Canada, and I do my tiny part to encourage the movement upward.
In Beerum Veritas

howardt

Post by howardt »

Hello Bartowellers,

I am late to this thread and apologize for giving it a rip after the fact. In response to Jon's (John's) article, I agree with three things that I read in the bartowel. First that he is a 'dork', second that he wrote a good article and third that it is time to move on (except for my last word on the subject).

On being a 'dork', the writer of the article went out of his way to set up a babe, some hay bales and the rest of that shite. $25k or $50k worth of newsprint color 'adworthiness' that he chose to toss off on a regrettable stunt. Imagine if he had devoted that space to the great beer cap poster the Small Brewers unveiled the next day. Imagine if he had just covered that real news event that many small brewers worked hard to pull off. I guess it would have been less leverage for the few who took up the Star's tabloid appeal. Apparently it sells newspapers though, since at least one of you found it entertaining.

I can say first hand that the 25 or more women who work at our brewery found it insulting. As did I.

On the article being good. Beyond the window dressing it was ok. Unfortunately it was the wrong article on the wrong day. The brain trust of the Ontario Craft Brewery industry hosted a media event the next day to launch their campaign and show off the goods. Jonny took a pass clearly knowing more than the collected souls who actually make the beer. Hardly a relevant craft brewer writer.

And the last word. Some of you know that I am no longer President (or a shareholder) of Creemore Springs. This is amicable and less fodder for discussion than the gal in the greenfeed. I will stay tuned into the brewery and have no doubt that it will remain the best producer of lager style beers in North America. In fact, I still get to take part in the Friday am taste panels.

One of you said that this is less interesting now. And I agree. For those of you stuck on an indie or nothing approach to beer, I wonder if you maintain the same moral purchasing high ground for everything - from toasters to toothpaste. Many of you also love the indie nature of our local scene and spend freely on imported brands now (similarily) owned by giants. I also understand that previous posts or comments of mine may appear hypocritical to my current 'everything is alright' pose. So what. Judge a beer by the beer...I know a good one when I see it.

Howard Thompson

past president and ceo, Creemore Springs Brewery

ps

Just drank the 'Affligem Blond'. Nice Belgian abbey try.

[/quote]

howardt

Post by howardt »

oops wrong thread :oops: