Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

You know you're in trouble when...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

You know you're in trouble when...

Post by Rob Creighton »

On yet another disappointing marketing note but a positive one for Lakeport, a 3/4 page ad in today's London Free Press has Labatt Genuine Honey claiming '24 for $25' and using the line,

'If you pay less, it's not genuine honey'

Immediately under this is a '100% pure Canadian honey' logo.

This is the lowest and most desparate I have seen a megabrewer behave yet. I hope the volume of the Lakeport Honey goes up because of this... hell I might even buy a case myself just out of spite. :oops:

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

Rob Creighton wrote:On yet another disappointing marketing note but a positive one for Lakeport, a 3/4 page ad in today's London Free Press has Labatt Genuine Honey claiming '24 for $25' and using the line,

'If you pay less, it's not genuine honey'

Immediately under this is a '100% pure Canadian honey' logo.

This is the lowest and most desparate I have seen a megabrewer behave yet. I hope the volume of the Lakeport Honey goes up because of this... hell I might even buy a case myself just out of spite. :oops:
I see they've put all their brainpower behind this one. Out of curiosity, are they even bothering to brew this one themselves or have they farmed it out to Gluek as well?

I agree, though, that Lakeport should be flattered. I don't like their beer but exploiting the longstanding Molson/Labatt policy of charging way too much for their flagship brands is something I definitely approve of. And I see Ms. Minhas has moved in to the market as well? Good. May she get filthy stinking rich putting the screws to the big guys.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

I have tried all the Lakeport brands and quite frankly, I can't see any difference between them and any of the MolBatt offerings, discount or not. To paraphrase another brewery, "They are what they are." Lakeport has the decency not to pretend to be a micro, or even to be in the premium end of the market. Theresa is honest and upfront about what Lakeport is all about.
Have you noticed on the Labatt Genuine Honey print ads, they have a symbol, I believe an octagon, that looks like Molson's. When I first look at the ad, I spotted the symbol and thought it was a Molson plug. Anyone smell lawsuit? :wink:

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

New Mol-bat corn squeezin's aren't even on the radar screen for the people I socialize with.

People have discovered you don't have to pay their premium prices to get sudz that taste the same....on the other end of the spectrum imports/craft/premium brands are pulling taste oriented buyers off mega sudz for good.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the Hacker-P Helles and other import Pils, wits and weizens that will make the summer heat disappear....and this year there are a significant number of my Molbatt swilling golf buddies that have converted to trying good beer.

The future is bleak for the megas
Aventinus rules!

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

I'm told that the 24 for $25 doesn't include tax...or deposit of course. But not including the tax is kind of deceptive...

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Calling it beer is deceptive too.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

BeerMonger wrote:I'm told that the 24 for $25 doesn't include tax...or deposit of course. But not including the tax is kind of deceptive...
Are you sure about that? It sounds unlikely. Deposit, perhaps, but the tax part?

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

Well, I can't vouch for it myself but the other half was going to pick some up for the young'un and the employee told her that it didn't include tax and steered her to another brand.

beanmedic

Post by beanmedic »

HAHA. That employee got fired.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

BeerMonger wrote:I'm told that the 24 for $25 doesn't include tax...or deposit of course. But not including the tax is kind of deceptive...
According to the Beer Store website, the full price with tax & deposit is $27.40. So the $25 includes tax.

I saw two different people carrying a case of this stuff in my neighbourhood during a brief walk yesterday. I think it'll do well for Labatt in the short term at least.

TerryW

Post by TerryW »

GregClow wrote:I saw two different people carrying a case of this stuff in my neighbourhood during a brief walk yesterday. I think it'll do well for Labatt in the short term at least.
The power of advetising $$$'s. Heck, my dad even bought a case and I've been workin' so hard to move him along, too. Beerwise that is.