Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Food Questions

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

DukeofYork = Richard

Food Questions

Post by DukeofYork = Richard »

I have noticed on Ratebeer that beer lovers often have good food advice (perhaps there should be a "Food and Beer" section here?). Toronto is maddening sometimes because it is impossible to find certain food products. So I ask you all, in your infinite wisdom:

1. Where can one buy a decent loaf of bread in Toronto, for a reasonable price? (I know the obvious - St. Lawrence Market ... but I'm looking for authentic, crusty German rye, downtown, for less than $6 a loaf!)

2. British marmalade - does anyone know where to find stuff that isn't Robertson's (the Newcastle Brown Ale of marmalades, I'm afraid)

3. Cheap cheese - any secrets? I usually ask for the specials in Kensington ... I once got 3 pounds of English cheese for 12 bucks.

This would be a nice, ongoing thread ...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Excellent thread idea,

1) Holzofen Brot (Wood over bread) fresh twice a week at Prague Deli is the real thing (second only to bread from Golden Rooster in my home town Kingston.)

2) No clue in Toronto. Tried Whole Foods Yorkville?
But there's a Tea Room in Port Hope that sells top British packaged goods, it's on the main strip, south side.

3) No clue. I stock up on Maple Dale from the factory north of Belleville, but if I could get Isle of Mull or Gloucester etc from a cheaper source than Alex "Eighty a Kilo" Farms, I'd be all over it. How're the Italian cheese shops or places farther afield?
-- let's make a deal: check out more 'ethnic' markets for cheese and report back here!
In Beerum Veritas

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Belgian wrote: 3) No clue. I stock up on Maple Dale from the factory north of Belleville,
I think I stopped there on the Victoria Day weekend. i bought some excellent "extra old" cheddar, and went to town on the plates of free samples of 2 and 5 year old cheese. Best buffet ever! I mean uhm... yeah. :oops: hehe.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cool!

They used to be the sleeper deal at Loblaws, then the prices went up.

So now I give my money to the Micro Cheesery.
In Beerum Veritas

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Thanks for the tip about the Prague Deli, I'll have to check it out.

Unfortunately, my imagination is limited to the two Markets, St. Lawrence and Kensington. St. Lawrence has great stuff, of course, but it's far from cheap. As for Kensington, World of Cheese gets lots of business but the less flashy Cheese Magic is far superior, has better deals and they'll give you plenty of free samples.

I hate to admit it, but Marche makes a good dark rye and if you show up late enough in the day, the price is right. I used to go to this great German bakery in Newmarket when I worked up there, but that's a bit of a trek just for a couple slices of bread, nicht wahr?

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

I used to get my crusty German (Jewish) rye bread from Yitz's at Avenue Road and Eglinton. Only three or four bucks for the big loaves. Available in light, dark, marbled, caraway or plain.

But if you have food questions generally -- and the three you have posted here sound like a pretty good fit -- I would post to Chowhound.com. It's a foodies' message board which to a large extent tries to resist simpy talking about Susur and Lee and Susur Lee and all the rest of the locally venerated prodigies who cook and construct little sculptures for fat-assed boomers.

Go the main page to read the manifesto -- quite funny.

http://www.chowhound.com/

Or go straight to the Toronto board. I post there using the same pseudonym, including a recent review of a German restaurant in deepest Scarbs.

http://www.chowhound.com/canada/boards/ ... ronto.html

That said, I would also be interested in posting food/slash/beer related threads here.

Regards,

Uncle Bobby
::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Here's a question - where can you find the most authentic montreal smoked meat downtown? (a la Schwartzes)

PierreBiere

Post by PierreBiere »

The Cheese Boutique in Bloor West Village (45 Ripley Avenue, closer to the Queensway, actually) is an excellent place for foodies and cheesies - they even have their own cheese "cave" for aging special cheeses. A very European-feeling place that takes good food seriously.
Check out a description at http://www.toronto.com/profile/149260

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

re: Montreal Smoked Meat in Toronto:

Reuben Schwartz
327 King W
Toronto, ON M5V1J5
Phone: (416) 596-9201

http://www.toronto.com/profile/630758

Funny you should ask, I actually had one for dinner tonight, I was working late, my office is in the Holiday Inn on King (King & Peter), this place is right across the street... Great Montreal Smoked Meat sandwiches... Don't forget to get a Black Cherry Soda too!

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

I've read a couple of press reviews of Schwartz's since they opened and all were bad..can't comment myself as I've never been there and it's not a particularly convenient location parking-wise although I will get around to trying it one day. The many criticisms included them trying to make hay of the reputation of the unrelated shrine of smoked meat on Montreal's Main...I've eaten there and it's like dying and going to Jewish deli heaven.
I can usually get a fairly good deli sandwich (I'm a pastrami fan) at Mel's on Bloor West near Bathurst...good, not fabulous and the beer selection sucks. I desperately miss Switzer's which used to be on Spadina north of Dundas right across from their biggest competitor, Shopsy's...the best pastrami and knishes in the city...probably serving Peking Duck or Moo Goo something in that location now.
I'm in New York twice in August thisyear, once with the fam-damily for a weekend then with a friend for our annual "If he's still alive, let's go see Eric Burdon & the Animals wherever they happen to be playing" trip. Now New York is still a deli-lovers haven...the best known places are terribly commercial and touristy and terribly expensive by Canadian standards but they're head and shoulders above most Canadian delis.
OK, I'm on my second Rochefort 10 and I've lost track of the subject....as Emily would say, nevermind!

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

To the best of my knowledge Reuben Schwartz is the only Toronto deli that makes its own hand-carved smoked meat using the traditional dry brining and cooking methods - in fact they’ll show you the back room operations if you ask.

The owner claims he has old man Schwartz’s recipe. I find their meat to be well spiced but rarely tender enough, and for that reason not as good as Schwartz’s nor that of The Main, both of which I find to be good but overrated (Esprit mentioned some American delis being “head and shoulders above most Canadian delis,” and I concur heartily).

The Corned Beef House, one block away from Reuben Schwartz’s, uses machine-sliced smoked meat shipped in from Lester’s in Montreal (who themselves have it supplied by a distributor using industrial methods). Not traditional, but it does make a fairly good sandwich.

The Centre Street Deli gets its meat, I think, from Snowdon Deli in Montreal, while Mel’s Montreal Deli gets theirs shipped in from Lester’s – both serve sandwiches that are fairly good but not great.

Well anyway, enough of this, except that to my mind Shopsy’s and The Pickle Barrel especially are the worst deli experiences to be had.
Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SLIGHT RANT HERE:

Why does casual dining suck so horribly in Toronto?

It LOOKS like a major city... sure doesn't taste like one. And forget eating reasonably after 9pm.

It's often a half-assed refuelling exercise rather than food with taste, substance and nutrition. This is not just to heap insult, it just means we lack a bit of pride and sophistication other large cities have with food.

It was the 'delis are better in the US' comment that got me going here. best wishes to the places that really try, Jules, etc.
In Beerum Veritas

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Don't know that I agree with your take on casual dining in Toronto. There are numerous hidden gems out there where one can superb food at incredible prices you just gotta know where they are. I regularly browse through publications like NOW and read almost every restaurant review in every publication I come across and I've found some great spots. Here's just a short list:

PIZZA - Vesuvio's on Dundas St. West in the Junction. One of about 20 pizzerias in the neighbourhood but I have been patronizing them for about 35 years (I'm not kidding). Without a shadow of a doubt, one of the best thin crusted (by that I mean normal thin, not paper thin) pizzas on the face of the earth. Anyone who I've taken there or who has had some when it's been delivered raves about it...that is unless you're from Ottawa and enjoy pizza with 2 inches of Mozzarella on it made some Lebanese guy who doesn't eat the stuff himself.

ITALIAN SANDWICHES - San Francesco's on Clinton north of Dundas/sout of College for their steak. Usually tender, fabulous tomato sauce, smothered in super sweet fried onions and hot peppers added according to your tastes. At one time I would also have recommended their veal back when all the meat was cut on the butcher's block in this tiny hole in the wall but the veal is prepared commercially now and just doesnt' cut it. Then there's California Sandwich's original location on Claremont north of Dundas plus 7 new locatons around the city. This is where to go for veal...unbelievable portions of crisp veal cutlets on a kaiser smothered in a very good sauce.

PHO - (pronounced "fa")There are so many good places to enjoy this Vietnamese meal in a bowl that I won't try to name them...actually, I can never remember having had a bad bowl. My local hangout is on Pacific Ave. just south of Dundas St. and their beef & chicken in a big bowl full of rice noodles, scallions and a broth that is to die for just can't be beat. Along with this you get a plate of raw bean sprouts, lime and asian basil to put in your bowl as you see fit. For about $6.50 it's a complete meal and my wife has never finished one.

INDIAN - Again, too many good ones to mention. Little India along Gerrard has many gems. My local is North of Bombay on Dundas St. W. and it is an absolutely beautiful restaurant (many good Indian places are dives) and their food is to die for. They also deliver locally and their butter chicken and their eggplant curry are just unbelievable.

KOREAN/SUSHI - Living in the west end I regularly patronize the many restaurants in Little Korea on Bloor from Christie to Bathurst. Well priced Sushi but try some of the Korean items as well. Often spicy but great noodle dishes or Bulgoki (marinated steak fried on a propane griddle at the table) served wrapped up in lettuce leaves with sauce and raw garlic and fried onions and mushrooms. Love their spicy squid dishers. Great buckwheat noodles and the best is that most of these joints bring you anywhere from 10-15 little plates of appetizers, no charge, after you have ordered. All sorts of interesting tidbits, most of a vegetarian nature but very tasty.

OK, so it's just before dinner and I'm starving so I've got to stop this but the point is I think that there is plenty of good casual dining in Toronto and I don't think we hold a back seat to anyone overall although we may suffer in a few categories like deli food. If it's ethnic, chances are we've got something as good or better than New York or any other major U.S. city you just have to get out there and discover it. Any of you wishihg to post some of your faves should feel free to do so cause I'm always lookig for new places.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

I'd put in a plug for the Whistling Oyster! Nice variety and I've never had anything that I didn't really enjoy. I haven't been there for a year or two, but hopefully it's still as good. Best thing I ever had there was a seafood medley on cous cous with an incredibly large amount of shrimp, scallops, mussels, calimari and I think, clams. Absolutely delicious. They've also got a nice selection of appetizers and Dim Sum.

I don't know the exact address, but it's in the vicinity of Roy Thompson Hall.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I could go for some thin pizza, I'll try Vesuvio's next time I get my cheese in Little Italy.

Terroni on Victoria is also pretty good pizza, and the good, casual wine selection by the glass is unusually broad.

Baton Rouge around the corner on Yonge is a big chain, but good for seared sushi tuna and other Cajun.

There are a few exceptional hidden gems... it really pays to do research because to pick a place at random can have scary results (we're not in Montreal after all are we.)
In Beerum Veritas