Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Montreal - Help me out!!!! (please)

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

beanmedic

Montreal - Help me out!!!! (please)

Post by beanmedic »

I will be going to Montreal in a couple weeks. My goal is to try as many of the fine beers there as possible. My question for other bartowelers is this: What beers should I bring home with me (as opposed to consuming there)? I would love it if i could have some recommendations. What is not to be missed?

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

You're not the only one going to Montreal in a few weeks.

Something about a Ratebeer Summer Gathering I believe...

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

I've had good luck with the Bieropholie beers http://www.bieropholie.com/. Their Imperial Stout and Calumet are especially tasty.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Bieropholie: get anything they make; you can't go wrong with any of their beers. Particularly impressive is their Imperial Stout (which is amazingly full-flavoured considering its modest 7% abv).

Unibroue: anything you can't get here, obviously, but Seigneuriale and Edition 2005 would be a few new ones to look out for. If you find yourself at a St. Hubert's, try the beer that Unibroue brews for the restaurant (you can't buy some to bring home, unfortunately).

Charlevoix: another great small brewery. Reach for the Triple and Blanche first.

Brasseurs RJ: I think Escousse (a black lager) is fantastic. The Blonde and Brune d'Achouffe are OK, as are a number of their other beers.

You're venturing into hit-or-miss territory with the rest. Schoune and La Barberie may have ironed out some of their problems by now, so start with them. Ratebeer will point you in the direction of the better beers.

At places like Metro Joanette, the import section is pretty much dominated by Belgium's Riva group of breweries which make beers like Vondel (very good), Liefmans (Goudenband, Kriek, Frambozen--all a bit pricy), Dentergems Wit (bland), Jan Van Gent (not bad), and Straffe Hendrik (the Rousse/Brune is very good--if you can find it).

At the SAQ, pick up some La Chouffe and McChouffe, maybe some Samichlaus, some Floreffe Dubbel, and some corked, yeast-encrusted, 750ml bottles of Saison Dupont to taste alongside the 250ml bottles that will be available here.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Schoune and La Barberie may have ironed out some of their problems
I was real hit and miss with La Barberie at Metro Joanette during my trip in April. Two were pretty solid, two were pretty average, and two were off. Stronger and hoppier produced better results for me.
Charlevoix: another great small brewery
I picked up their Vache Folle Milk Stout. Pretty tasty and quite a bit different than anything in Ontario, methinks.
Bieropholie: get anything they make; you can't go wrong with any of their beers. Particularly impressive is their Imperial Stout (which is amazingly full-flavoured considering its modest 7% abv).
The 2005 vintage now weighs in at 7.7% and is well-balanced. It was the first beer my wife wanted after the kid arrived. We're looking forward to trying this one beside Perry's Tsarina Katarina.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Check the ratings at Ratebeer...Other than that I recommend the Bieropholie stuff, as well as stocking up on some Unibroue 750s. I picked up 2005, Seigneurale, and some Don de Dieu my last trip.

Charelvoix Triple is aweseome. I gave it a 4/5. I have been less impressed with some of their other offerings.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Quebec is just a sexy province I think. Beer, ladies, food and all.
In Beerum Veritas

chico

Post by chico »

A other good place to buy good bières québécoises in montréal, it's the dépanneur Bonisoir tôt ou tard on 2500 rachel east, they have all the quebec micro brews you like, even better then métro Joannette. You will find the beer of the newest microbrasserie called à l'abri de la tempête and many others

beanmedic

Post by beanmedic »

Thanks a lot guys, this gives me a few great ideas.