Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What session beer do you keep for guests?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jan Primus

What session beer do you keep for guests?

Post by Jan Primus »

...that you can readily get here, and don't mind drinkin yourself? An ipa would fit the bill nicely (but I've already posted about that)...Creemore used to be my crowd pleaser to share, but now I don't feel like supporting Molson's so much...

borderline_alcoholic

Post by borderline_alcoholic »

I tend to go with the following:

General list Imports: St Peter's English/Organic Ale and Duvel - the latter being less of a session ale, but it generally goes down well with most people (moreso than any other generally available beers I find) and the way I see it, they can just drink it more slowly.

Perennial locals: Black Oak Pale Ale, Mill St Coffee Porter and Wellington Imperial Stout are the main ones. I also have Mill St Tankhouse, but it is more of an acquired taste.

And if all else fails, people can always move into the spirits. These days, I even won't wince too much when people add mixers. :D

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I can't really answer that given the parameters you set. The beers I like my friends either don't want to drink OR I don't want to share. The beer I stock for friends is generally beer I don't touch...usually Blue or Canadian.

It's sort of like my scotch collection...I'm not going to pour a glass of Ardbeg Provenance for someone who couldn't tell it apart from a shot of Bells. But if someone WANTS to learn about the good stuff and expand their horizons I'm happy to share. Same goes for beer.

If I were to stock a beer for others that I'd drink too I'd probably say Pilsner Urquell, Tankhouse Stock or Creemore. But again, I'm unlikely to drink any of those while I have better stuff (for my palate) available in my supply.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

This is stuff I actually drink but guests, when I actually have some, should have no issues with:

Big Rock Grasshopper Wheat
KLB Raspberry Wheat
Robert Simpson Confederation Ale
Cameron's Cream Ale
Muskoka Honey Brown
Mill St. Organic Lager
Northern Red Maple
Amsterdam Dutch Amber
Amsterdam Natural Blonde
Steamwhistle Pilsner
Stone Hammer Pilsner
Catfish Cream Ale
Niagara Apple Ale

Of course then there's the ones that I haven't tried yet from some of the brewers above, like Northern, Muskoka and KLB Cream Ales for example.
lister

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

My list is something like:

Tankhouse
Creemore
Black Oak Pale
Black Oak Nut Brown
Black Oak Saison (when it's availabe)
Wellington County Ale (although it's gone way downhill the last couple of years, IMO)
Blanche de Chambly
Cameron's Auburn

There're probably a few more, too.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Everyone I have offered Hockley Dark to has liked it. It is a class act, and one can suffices for two servings if you don't want your guests getting plastered on your liability. I think the fuller, longer flavor makes it less of a guzzling beer than some Sleemans, etc.
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:Everyone I have offered Hockley Dark to has liked it. It is a class act, and one can suffices for two servings if you don't want your guests getting plastered on your liability. I think the fuller, longer flavor makes it less of a guzzling beer than some Sleemans, etc.
Even those people that don't normally like dark beers?
lister

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Well, I'm an agent but, unfortunately, most friends aren't beer people. St. Peter's English is inoffensive enough that it appeals to pretty much anyone. Last week was my week to bring beer to our weekly Platform Tennis Summer League (don't ask) and I brough Duvel, Chimay Premiere, St. Peter's English and La Choulette Blonde. This is a crowd of Keith's and Molbatt drinkers but we ran out of St. Peter's in the first 1/2 hour and, after that, the La Choulette Ambree was much appreciated....the came Duvel and the odd bozo who wanted to walk around guzzling a 750 of Premiere. Even though not a beer crowd, my fellow members all proclaimed my beer offerings to be the most interesting and the most likely to expand their beer horizons. By comparison, this week' beer guy brought Keith's, Sleeman Honey Brown and Budweiser and everyone started complaining about the lack of quality...there is hope!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

esprit wrote:Well, I'm an agent but, unfortunately, most friends aren't beer people. St. Peter's English is inoffensive enough that it appeals to pretty much anyone. Last week was my week to bring beer to our weekly Platform Tennis Summer League (don't ask) and I brough Duvel, Chimay Premiere, St. Peter's English and La Choulette Blonde. This is a crowd of Keith's and Molbatt drinkers but we ran out of St. Peter's in the first 1/2 hour and, after that, the La Choulette Ambree was much appreciated....the came Duvel and the odd bozo who wanted to walk around guzzling a 750 of Premiere. Even though not a beer crowd, my fellow members all proclaimed my beer offerings to be the most interesting and the most likely to expand their beer horizons. By comparison, this week' beer guy brought Keith's, Sleeman Honey Brown and Budweiser and everyone started complaining about the lack of quality...there is hope!
Way to spread the Gospel peter!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

lister wrote:
Belgian wrote:Everyone I have offered Hockley Dark to has liked it. It is a class act, and one can suffices for two servings if you don't want your guests getting plastered on your liability. I think the fuller, longer flavor makes it less of a guzzling beer than some Sleemans, etc.
I tell them 'dark' is not a flavor and to those peoples' surprise, yes.
In Beerum Veritas

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Belgian wrote:
lister wrote:
I tell them 'dark' is not a flavor and to those peoples' surprise, yes.
I've met many chicks and even a few (chickenshit) guys who refuse to try a dark beer, they all say they once tried Guinness and it was way too strong or bitter for them.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Jon Walker wrote:I can't really answer that given the parameters you set. The beers I like my friends either don't want to drink OR I don't want to share. The beer I stock for friends is generally beer I don't touch...usually Blue or Canadian.

It's sort of like my scotch collection...I'm not going to pour a glass of Ardbeg Provenance for someone who couldn't tell it apart from a shot of Bells. But if someone WANTS to learn about the good stuff and expand their horizons I'm happy to share. Same goes for beer.

If I were to stock a beer for others that I'd drink too I'd probably say Pilsner Urquell, Tankhouse Stock or Creemore. But again, I'm unlikely to drink any of those while I have better stuff (for my palate) available in my supply.
Yes these are challenging paremeters to work within...that's what got me to post, there must be some readily available and enjoyable without a seasoned palate.,,no point in sharing expensive beers with friends who would likely prefer Bud. I've wasted way too many a Rochefort 10 on people who were more impressed with its alc content than the flavour.
I wouldn'y feel right to serve people some Buds and then drink my trappists from a chalice in front of them. I can't really enjoy drinking a crap beer at all so drinkin a bud at home is not an option for me....maybe I should revisit Pilsner Urquell, it was one of the few beers that got me into good beer...do prefer ales though, damn I wish I coiuld get a solid ipa, maybe it's time to go to Premier Gourmet and stock up on some there,

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:I tell them 'dark' is not a flavor and to those peoples' surprise, yes.
True dark isn't a flavour but they do tend to be heavier, more bitter and usually has a flavour I'm not too keen on than what I usually like to drink. I certainly don't find them good "drinks only" drinks. Some of them are okay after some initial drinks and with food. That's my experience, taste and opinion. Whatever floats your boat.

If I spot a single can of Hockley I'll pick it up or if it's on tap I'll give it a half pint try. My expectations are low though.
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Well "Dark Beer" is as much a vague category as "Light Coloured Beer" and I'm pretty undiplomatic so I call the bullshit of it. Preconceptions aren't facts, and there are a range of tastes in the 'dark' spectrum we can get to know.

Hockley Dark (sold single 2.55) is styled after nice fresh Brit ales that you can easily slide back, fruity, refined and supple. So if you get past the colour which freaks you out it's actually smoother than a lot of lagers, and less junky on the finish. If anything, some people won't say it's heavy or bitter, they'll whine that it's not just like a big roasty dry stout (which is not the intended style so that's a naiive expectation.) It's a lack of education in styles.

The dark appearance won't help the marketing of Hockley Dark but that is what we beer geeks are around at parties for, bridging that gap of education.
In Beerum Veritas

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Lister has a clear preference for unhoppy, un-dark beers. Many of his other posts indicate this. To each their own...but I would agree that his inference that "dark beer" equates to heavy or bitter is overly simplistic. I could certainly pick many "dark" beers from around the world and in a blind folded sampling I doubt you could pick out the dark ones by taste or smell.