Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sleeman IPA

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Just a footnote that the beer should be sampled for best effect (as any good pale ale) at around 50 F, or even warmer.

Gary

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

old faithful wrote:When it comes to beer, I, like many others, like some and not others, in the end that is all I can say, and my preferences are not for everyone, to be sure. Gary
Sorry I stirred up some contention around Gary's often supportive attitude - ie. if he finds merit in something, he at least gives it that. It's been helpful a few times:

Hockley Dark is a really smooth characterful brown ale I definitely appreciate, thanks to the advice; on the other, Elora ESB has also some merits but its particular grainy/fruity profile is NOT for me, and I LIKE bitters. Both beers are a bit overlooked and deserve some verbal support.

So, that's what this forum is about, no? - merit, AND personal taste. I would never go near Sleeman IPA had it not been mentioned.
In Beerum Veritas

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Well, I try to boost what I like. Dogsbody is another English bitter-style I like a lot but I don't see it that often in Toronto, Perry was mentioning some of the logistics issues to me recently. Elora ESB definitely has a particular profile - grainy/fruity is a good description, but as you said too is one that should not be overlooked. Regarding Hockley Dark, quite honestly I tried it initially not expecting much because the basic Hockley golden-coloured beer is okay but not a ground-breaker, but Hockley Dark could not be more different and it just tastes good, too! Sleeman IPA will, I believe, Belgian, surprise you by its quality. Its body is fairly substantial but the Goldings are where the action is in that beer. It is interesting that some Sleeman beers are said to be from a specific page in the recipe book, others are said to be "inspired" by the book, and the IPA is the latter type, "inspired". I wonder in what respect they departed from what the book says. But doesn't matter really because they've made something very good, IMO.

Gary

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I bought a 12 of this to try it out. Firstly, it is quite expensive, even by micro standards. I find it an enjoyable ale, in a "session ale" sort of way, but it maintains enough of the Sleeman house character that it is not truly distinctive, IMO. I don't mind a Sleeman in a pinch so I find this to be a pleasant ale, kind of a Sleeman Cream Ale on steroids. I suspect if you are not a Sleeman fan you won't be fond of this one either. I'd say the Porter is still Sleeman's best effort, but this is not bad at all.

Zithal

Post by Zithal »

I honestly have to wondering if I'm drinking the same beer as everyone else? I found this beer personally offensive and could not finish a bottle of it.

The only part of the style they got correct was the colour. Everything else was WAY off.

The nose smelt like a bad lager, while the I could barely stomach the liquid going down my throat. After the first couple tastes, I let the beer sit so that the temperate would rise a bit.

Even then, there was nothing there. No hop presence both in the smell or the taste. To me, it tasted like a badly made pilsner.

There's the possbility that the beer had gone bad (which is often the case with Sleeman product's in their clear bottles), but I'm not completely sure that this is the case here.

Strong recommendation to avoid.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Zithal wrote:I found this beer personally offensive and could not finish a bottle of it....

Strong recommendation to avoid.
Well... any beer that personally offends me, I would want to avoid socially.
In Beerum Veritas

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

I had a bottle of this at a buddy's place on Sunday. I'd give it one thumb up, I'd be unlikely to purchase it. While I'm glad to see that Sleeman's are taking a stab a producing some decent beer that could potentially justify their self proclaimed "Premium" tag, the IPA still falls well short of what they could be doing, it's stuck somewhere between the Upper Canada Pale, and something decent.

I certainly wouldn't say this is on par with Granite's IPA.

I didn't pick up much aroma of hop, but the bitterness is there... If I had a choice of this over other macro stuff, I'd take it, but I'd prefer drinking other craft-brewed beer for sure... Tankhouse for instance absolutely beats this hands down for flavor, character, hoppiness, etc...

As to whether it's like the IPA's from the 1800's, I can't say, I was born in 1972... And until I actually see this recipe book, I'm a little suspicious, it sounds an awful lot like a cute marketing ploy... and clear bottles suck...

By the way, it's my Birthday today :)

Cheers everyone!
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

Happy birthday, ya beer-drinkin' madman!

(and I have my doubts that they really use a "recipe book")

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Happy Birthday JWalter!

Re: Sleeman IPA: I've heard from "someone" that the beer on the shelves is not the beer the brewmaster wanted to make. Apparently he was pressured from the "suits" to make it less hoppy then he wanted to.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Happy Bday!

Congrats on the recent win over the gooners...
(and I have my doubts that they really use a "recipe book")
Probably from the same page in the recipe book as the ice cold smooth original draught.

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

The Toon Army sez Happy Birthday!
Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Happy birthday Mr.Walter.

To the tune of "Daydream Believer"...

Cheer up Alan Shearer,
oh what can it mean to a...
fat Geordie bastard and a...
shite football team.

Just kidding! :D We're crap this year too. It's Chelsea's year again anyway...I'll buy you a pint next time we cross paths.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Hoppy Beerday!

In fact let's all toast the man with a Sergeant Major's IPA... fine idea! G'night!
In Beerum Veritas

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

When I picked this up the other day, the store I got it from still had a dozen or so cases of Sleeman's porter.
Aventinus rules!

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

pootz wrote:When I picked this up the other day, the store I got it from still had a dozen or so cases of Sleeman's porter.
They re-released the Porter this year along with the IPA. I think I read somewhere that they're making the Porter part of the regular line-up now, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.