Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Les 3 Brasseurs

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

old faithful
Bar Fly

Les 3 Brasseurs

Post by old faithful »

I visited one of the 3 locations in Montreal of this (mostly) French brewpub chain, at McGill College and Ste. Catherine Streets. Big, impressive-looking facility with the mini-brewery on the right as you walk in. Excellent beers, the Xmas version of the Amber (biere ambree) was paticularly good, richly malted, spicy (maybe Styrian hops, or possibly Brewers Gold), very French Flanders "garde" in style. The blanche was also excellent, with a particular refractive shimmer that I don't recall in other beers of the type.

It was well worth a visit. I visited the very first location, in Lille, France in the late 1980's and the beers and menu in Montreal are very similar to the original. Today in France there are (according to the menu) about 20 locations with another 10 or so elsewhere in the world and more planned.

The menu states that a Les 3 Brasseurs will open in 2006 in Toronto at 275 Yonge Street.

Gary

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlac ... laceID=260

The fact that they are thinking of sending one to Toronto is interesting.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

there is not a high rating, they are HQ in France. If they want to come to TO, all power to them and I will be at their doorstep.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

On the menu (I brought home a copy) it refers to a website, www.les3brasseurs.ca.

Most of it is en francais, and there is a fair amount of information on the beers and menu.

The beers at Ste. Catherine Street are very good. A couple of years ago at the first Montreal location, St-Denis Street, the beers weren't bad, but this time they reminded me much more so of the Lille originals.

Gary

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Between this news, the announcement about Mill Street turning the Distillery location into a brewpub, and the continuing rumours that there will be a Gordon Biersch in the new Yonge/Dundas retail complex, it looks like downtown Toronto is is finally heading back in the right direction when it comes to brewpubs.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

GregClow wrote:Between this news, the announcement about Mill Street turning the Distillery location into a brewpub, and the continuing rumours that there will be a Gordon Biersch in the new Yonge/Dundas retail complex, it looks like downtown Toronto is is finally heading back in the right direction when it comes to brewpubs.
Maybe in terms of QUANTITY. Unless Mill St. steps up seasonal/limited offerings production thats not really news, and the reviews of 3 Brasseurs beers are hardly stellar. I liked some of the seasonals at GB but existing places like the Granite offer beers of comprable, or better, quality.

We'll see...

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

GregClow wrote:the continuing rumours that there will be a Gordon Biersch in the new Yonge/Dundas retail complex,
HA! That's assuming that complex ever actually gets even a smidge further along let alone finished. How long has that hoarding been up? Since early to mid '90s? At the rate they're moving the pyramids would have been built faster... :roll:

As far as Les 3 Brasseurs, when we were in Montreal back on the May long weekend, we visited the St. Denis location. The girlfriend liked the blanche very much but I didn't find anything that wowed me. The "mix-in-some-liquer-for-some-flavour" thing didn't work for me. They didn't mix well. Assuming we visit Montreal in June next year I'll have to go back to the place again, maybe try another one. I'll also be dragged off to the Toronto location once that opens.
lister

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Well, it's 2+ years behind schedule, but it looks like this place will FINALLY be opening soon(ish):

There's a Notice of Liquor License Application in today's Star that has them listed, with Nov 26th as the deadline for submissions of comments for or against the license.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

GregClow wrote:Well, it's 2+ years behind schedule, but it looks like this place will FINALLY be opening soon(ish):

There's a Notice of Liquor License Application in today's Star that has them listed, with Nov 26th as the deadline for submissions of comments for or against the license.
Let's hope so! Last time I walked by there was a facade but no building behind it!

The Yonge & Dundas area is desperate for a good bar - usually when I'm in the area it's a choice between walking to beerbistro or up to the Elephant at Gerrard.

I think L3B could do well in that spot when they finally open.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

I visited the St. Catherines location on Thanksgiving weekend. The three or four varieties I tried were less than impressive and all seemed to share a common base. But, I did like the feel of the place and it was quite busy. It was good to see lots of people out trying some non macro beer. If you're getting one in TO I would think it's a good thing.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Latest word I've heard on this place is that they're hoping to open in June.

I haven't walked by that address recently. Is it still just a facade in front of a big hole in the ground, or is there actually a building going up behind it now?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Cass wrote:The Yonge & Dundas area is desperate for a good bar - usually when I'm in the area it's a choice between walking to beerbistro or up to the Elephant at Gerrard.
For future reference for anyone who happens to be in the same situation in the future: They actually have a couple of decent beers available at the Imperial, on Dundas just east of Yonge.

And it's hard to beat their old skool tavern decor and the great old jazz in the upstairs jukebox. :wink:

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

There's been a roof on the Trois Brasseurs for a while now and I've seen workmen milling about inside from time to time.

When I was last in the Imperial, sometime in the summer, I was informed that the upstairs jazz jukebox was broken and I got the impression that it wasn't going to be fixed any time soon.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

TwoPint wrote:When I was last in the Imperial, sometime in the summer, I was informed that the upstairs jazz jukebox was broken and I got the impression that it wasn't going to be fixed any time soon.
Ah, that's too bad. It's been quite some time since I'd been there, so I wasn't aware of this.

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

they used to sell Labatt 50 in quarts...at the Imperial.

okay,not fancy beer..but nothing like a 50 in a quart bottle....