Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Scotch Irish Tsarina Katerina

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

biegaman
Bar Fly

Scotch Irish Tsarina Katerina

Post by biegaman »

Is there any still left to buy a case or at the very least a place try it? Do Scotch Irish plan to release another batch next year?

*Also my condolences to Perry

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

There are a few cases left. Drop me a line if you would like a case. I think Volo may have it on their list now and perhaps beerbistro as well, if you would like to sample it.
"Every day above ground is a good one."

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

If you like stout it's well worth a try, or jump right in & get that case - only 165 made BTW.
In Beerum Veritas

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

By all means get a case - I still have an unopened case left and I'd be interested in buying another ... Perry, if you're making any more trips to Toronto in the near future, and you happen to be up at Volo, or any of the other downtown watering holes (Smokeless, Beer Bistro etc) I would be interested in another case, if you were bringing a few to Hogtown in the Scotch-Irish mobile.....

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

This beer is getting great reviews. Is there anywhere where I'd be guaranteed a sample, or is it all gone?

Steve Spong

Post by Steve Spong »

The last time I checked, there were bottles to be had at Volo and BeerBistro. If you want to double-check, you should call and find out.

Steve Spong

Post by Steve Spong »

Has there been any word on a 2006 vintage? We need to start getting some great local beers that can be put down for aging and be able to do verticals in five or six years time.
"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

Kid Presentable

Post by Kid Presentable »

beerbistro still has plenty of tsarina

kp

beanmedic

Post by beanmedic »

One less after I scooped one up on Thursday. Very nice.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Funny, my initial tasting impressions were a bit exotic ('aroma has wet humus, aged black olive...') but with each TK I pull from the case it seems more 'normal' and integrated than I remember. I think good stouts always surprise me just a little until I get to know them. That's good! It means there's a slight get-to-know-you challenge waiting rather than just a linear, repetitive experience. Maybe some beers like Orval and Westmalle were a little like this for me too.

But don't listen to me, I'm just one shmoe here.
In Beerum Veritas

Steve Spong

Post by Steve Spong »

I can see what you mean for most beers, although I have to confess that I have never warmed up to Orval, no matter how often I try it. I really want to like it, but my God, I just can't stand the stuff. It's a visceral response, even though I can identify where some people would like it. Like the Schlenkerla and the Petrus Oud Bruin. Though the award for worst beer I've ever had would probably be the Sam Adams Triple Bock. I opened it and shared it with about half a dozen friends and not a single person would drink it. That's a frightening concept if you know some of my friends (you know who you are!).
"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Petrus Oud Bruin is actually pretty accessible to me, just a little tart and mysterious. Rodenbach grand Cru (very tart) is one of very few brews I cannot tolerate, it's just too funky and musty and I get sick from it!

And I do like Schlenkerla but I see no reason to drink it that often, because I just don't see the appeal of ingesting smoke.

Other beers I've hated & then loved are Saison Dupont (the 'beeriest', most tantalizingly unusual brew on the planet) and Kostritzer Schwartzbier (deep dark grainy goodness.) I was also originally not fond of full-bodied beers like Aventinus Weizen-Doppelbock or Rochefort 8, that is until my palate began thinking in terms of 'malty' rather than just 'sweet'. Now I crave malty rich body in beers to an extent.
In Beerum Veritas

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Steve Spong wrote:Though the award for worst beer I've ever had would probably be the Sam Adams Triple Bock. I opened it and shared it with about half a dozen friends and not a single person would drink it.
I actually quite liked it:

"Vintage 1997. Some of the reviews for this beer crack me up, they rate it like it’s a common lager or something and totally miss what the brewer was even going for. I mean it says it right in the description: "...has the depth and complexity of a fine cognac, vintage port or an old sherry." Anyways, it pours a unique looking syrupy dark reddish purple with no head (as is to be expected). The aroma, well I’ve never smelled a beer like this before! I smell whisky, maple sugar, wood, burnt malt, some hops and much more -- such a complex aroma! The flavour is just as interesting with some fruit, alcohol, hops, burnt malt, maple syrup, soya sauce and heck, even some cola -- and that’s just in the first sip! I enjoyed it but it’s definitely strong so take your time and sip this sucker slowly. And definitely share it with some friends. I’d hate to have tried a young bottle of this but at 9 years old it’s quite a pleasant and unique experience."
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Steve Spong

Post by Steve Spong »

The notes in your description make it sound undeniably delicious, and a beer that I would love now. It was quite a few years ago now that I had it, and perhaps my palate has grown to the point where I would enjoy it. Nevertheless, it was one of those experiences that remains undelibly imprinted on my consciousness in such a way that I'm not sure if I could approach it with an open mind.

Having said that, there have been a few beers that I have grown into and out of. I was always a big fan of Scotch ales, but in the last year or so I've lost my interest in them. Indeed, the last couple that I had I was unable to finish because of the overwhelming malty sweetness that I simply found cloying. I always loved the McEwan's, but the last bottle I had was waaaay too sweet. I love barleywines, but they have a depth and hop balance that I find lacking in the scotch ales.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Blankboy wrote:I’d hate to have tried a young bottle of this
Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. I had a bottle of the '95 Triple Bock; it was bloody awful. From what I remember, it didn't exactly fly off the shelves of the LCBO, so it was one of those beers that you'd pass by time and again and think "should I buy more?" And every time I'd think "nah, I still have one bottle." Eleven years later and I still haven't opened that bottle...