Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Calling all lurkers/newbies

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

Al the beerblogger wrote:It is quite striking, reading these forums, how my interest is almost entirely focused south down I-81 and the delights to be found in Syracuse and beyond.
Hi Alan,

You might be a good resource for me. Although I live in Kitchener, I’m originally from Cornwall and try to cross the border into the States as often as I can on my way home. A few weeks ago I took a trip down to Potsdam and was able to get a pint of the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout at Maxfield’s…great stuff that is! I can normally pick up some Lake Placid, Magic Hat, and Victory and once found some Stone at CJ’s. Is there any other good beer places to be found that is quick and accessible on my trips to Cornwall. I’ve also been to a few places in Canton and found some great stuff.

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

Keith's Man wrote:Crazy about the Keith's guy eh! Still, it won't stop me from promoting the beer.T
If you could get them to stop claiming it's an IPA (it's not) that would be a step in the right direction.
Last edited by HogTownHarry on Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

jmcnally wrote:Among my favourite places to drink beer, besides the Granite, there are the Bow and Arrow (or the Bone Marrow, as I have dubbed it), C'est What? and, in my younger years, the Black Sheep pub at Yonge and Sheppard.

I despise the Firkinization of Toronto's pubs, and though I've been to the Biermarkt or whatever it's called once, I didn't like the (lack of) atmosphere.
Hear hear!

I used to hang out at the Black Sheep in the mid-80s now and again - darts and bad bands (remember The Forking Eejits?)

Bier Market is pretty soulless - C'est What has atmosphere, BeerBistro has class (and great food and high prices), and Smokeless Joe and Volo are worth checking out - I, like several others here, am a huge fan of the atmosphere, service and beer selection Ralph (owner) has put together - I'd say you owe it to yourself to hit Volo asap - very reasonable beer prices, good craft brews on tap - just go. 1 block north of Wellesley on the east side - NE corner of Yonge & Dundald.

I'm heading there Monday and Friday of next week, possibly tomorrow too!

Welcome aboard, all!

- Harry

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

Hey Beer Geek,

Right now my main NYS shops are in Syracuse and Ithaca. I have had no luck in Canton when I was there a couple of weeks ago and am happy to hear about Maxwell's next door in Potsdam. I am going to the NCAA Div. 1 hockey game SLU v. Yale Saturday and may check them out - Brooklyn Chocolate Stout is worth the drive.

I am also going to stop at a new place I just heard about in Oswego on Monday before coming back loaded down and fully receipted for the border guys. I have arranged a small "photo shoot" of the place through email wth the owner so should have a post about it.

Alan

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

Thanks Al. There are several guys from Ottawa that frequent this site also. If you find anything interesting close to the boarder, please post a new thread and keep us up to date.

Here's some info regarding Maxfields & CJ's.
http://ratebeer.com/Place/new-york/pots ... s/1148.htm
http://ratebeer.com/Place/new-york/potsdam/cjs/1149.htm

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

Hey - maybe I will have to find a way to pop over to CJs when I am in the area. That looks better than I was thinking. Jefferson and St. Lawrence Counties of New York really suffer from their lack of a distributor willing to distribute micros. What makes the store in Ithaca so good is it is run by a wholesale distributor or so I was told. Every bottle dust free. There seems to be a good one in Albany, too, but that is more of a hike: http://www.brew-crew.com/beer/

Alan

taurus56

Post by taurus56 »

My name is Deborah and I'm thrilled to find this site. I had no idea there was something like this in Toronto. Thanks to the Star for publishing that article the other day.
I've been drinking beer since I was 14. I seem to be a bit of an oddball since most women I know either don't like beer or won't drink anything other then Coor's light, Blue light, etc. I've had many surprised reactions from men over the years from the beers I have ordered. Most of them have reacted with surprise that I liked beer at all.
I'm willing to try any beer once. I really like ales and plisners, especially Urquell and Steam Whistle. I'm starting to try porter's and if anyone know's of any I should try let me know.
Anyway, it's great to be here and I hope to be a regular visitor and contributor.

DougShoemaker

Post by DougShoemaker »

Welcome to the site taurus56,
If You haven't tried these already, I would suggest the Fullers London Porter and the Okocim Baltic Porter.

Cheers, Doug

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Welcome to the site, Deborah.
taurus56 wrote:I'm starting to try porter's and if anyone know's of any I should try let me know.
Sadly, there aren't a lot of posters easily available around here, but those that are tend to be decent.

From Ontario breweries, we have the Mill Street Coffee Porter which is a personal favourite of mine, and it's available at the Beer Store and LCBO. Scotch Irish Black Irish Plain Porter is great as well, but Perry at Scotch Irish hasn't brewed it in quite a while, and even when it was around it was draught-only and hard to find.

For imports, the two mentioned by Doug above are both fantastic and well worth checking out.

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

taurus56 wrote:My name is Deborah and I'm thrilled to find this site.
A big welcome aboard, Deborah.

Don't feel odd about being a female beer lover - visit BeerBistro or Volo most evenings after work and you'll be surprised how many women drop in at both places for a chat, a light meal, and a few pints.

And if you haven't been to Volo (or BeerBistro or Joe's or ...) I can't recommend it highly enough. My wife loves the place, she's particularly fond of the Denison's Weissbier on tap, and if you experience a cozy, friendly well-run place with a solid craft brew selection on tap and a good bottle selection, Volo's a great starting place.

I'm heading there after work on Monday for a few (cheap) pints and my wife and I are having dinner there on Friday - there should be at least a couple of BarTowel'ers there Monday, come on by and introduce yourself!

You won't be sorry .... well, maybe you'll be sorry about meeting some of us, but Volo's worth the visit :P

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

taurus56 wrote:I'm starting to try porter's and if anyone know's of any I should try let me know.
I'm not much of a porter drinker myself though I will try stuff I normally don't drink at beer festivals. I did find that Black Oak's Nut Cracker Porter to be something I could drink occasionally with food. I think it's just a seasonal brew though so keep an eye out for it ahead of Christmas this year.
lister

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

Deborah! - don't listen to him!

Come over to the Dark Side .... it is your destiny!

(or is that gravity?)

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

Hi everyone, I'm Frank and I'm a longtime lurker here.
I don't live in Toronto now, but I did spend two years in the Younge and Eglington area of Toronto a few years ago. And I vist Ontario 3 or 4 times a year. Mostly Ottawa.
I love stouts and porters but I'll try (and enjoy) them all.
The LCBO in Ottawa had Rogue Chocolate Stout as one of its seasonal offerings last year and I loved it! I read about it on here before I went up, and had to look for it. One of the best I've ever had. Thanks to bartowel.com for letting me know about it.
I found two bottles of Young's Double Chocolate Stout in Fort Mcmurray last October and it was a treasure.
I live in Newfoundland and the pickings are slim around here. But the Newfoundland Liquor Corp is getting better. They are bringing in Propeller London Porter from Halifax regularly.
I'm travelling to Ottawa (Orleans actually) again next weekend for four days,any suggestion what to try while I'm up there?
ST. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout is a regular Ontario treat.
I'd love to try the Tsarina Katerina Imperial Stout, is it available in the LCBO stores? Or the Black Irish Plain Porter?

Thanks
Frank

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I'm travelling to Ottawa (Orleans actually) again next weekend for four days,any suggestion what to try while I'm up there?
Hey, maybe we could hook up and trade a bit of your brews!

I have some very interesting things in my cellar that I am sure you'd like.

Drop me a line if your interested. My list of availabilities is on my blog (the www link below).

Ian

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Keith's Man wrote:Crazy about the Keith's guy eh! Still, it won't stop me from promoting the beer.

T
Nor should it.

I mean look at those sales numbers, great work!
In Beerum Veritas