Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Calling all lurkers/newbies

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Cagiva650 wrote:Hi everyone, I'm Frank and I'm a longtime lurker here.

I'm travelling to Ottawa (Orleans actually) again next weekend for four days,any suggestion what to try while I'm up there?

Thanks
Frank
As you mentioned St.Ambroise I'd suggest you try to find The McAuslan Scotch Ale. It recently went back into production after several years on hiatus, but the batch is small and seems only available in Quebec and a few stores in and around Ottawa. No idea how good it is...the old version (circa 2000) was pretty good.

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

Several of us shared one of the new McAuslan Scotch Ales on Thursday night - it was disappointing. Not bad, just not worth the $7 sticker price.

Cool scotch slip can packaging, though.

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

I'll have to have a look for that McAuslan Scotch Ale.

Thanks for the generous offer Ian, but I don't have anything to trade.
I would be happy to bring up a couple bottles of Propeller Porter if you would like to try that. Its not as exotic as some of those you have in your celler.

I saw "Samichlaus extra forte bière ale Autriche" on the SAQ wabsite as being available in Hull. Its an Austrian beer, is it like the legendary Swiss Samiclaus?

Frank :D

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

Pretty sure they're one and the same. Very strong, very sweet and yeasty/woody.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Cagiva650 wrote:I saw "Samichlaus extra forte bière ale Autriche" on the SAQ wabsite as being available in Hull. Its an Austrian beer, is it like the legendary Swiss Samiclaus?
They are listed differently on ratebeer:

- the old Swiss version
- the new Austrian version

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

Hurliman - crap, I forgot about that one. My bad.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

To anyone I have not welcomed yet, ciao bello!

And any xx-chromosomed lurkers, don't be shy to join in. Some of us are decent, respectable people to chat with. (I can think of at least two.)
In Beerum Veritas

Berliner Weisse

Post by Berliner Weisse »

Hello all:

I have been a lurker for sometime now. I have to admit that I have had some diffiulty with my password not being recognized, but now all seems well. Those of you, I know, I'm aquainted with, and those of you I don't know, seem like total strangers. But don't you strangers feel bad, some of my best friends were strangers to me until I met them :P .

Favorite beers? Most, as long as they are drinkable. Creemore tops my list, followed by any fine wheat beers including anything produced by Michael Hancock. The first good sampling of North American wheat beer I had the chance to taste wa at the Sudwerks in Davis Ca., then Denison's, and next would have to have been a wheat beer produced in Calgary of all places, by the now defunct Banff Brewing Co.. Not the bottled format, as it was fitered for the Alberta market and sold as a pale ale, but straight from the fermenter as god intended it to be.

Not big on North American mass produced beers. I have had the pleasure to sample a great many beers, enjoyed most and found fault with others. Unfortunately some [not just imports] do not travel well :cry: .

Until next time,..................Berliner Weisse