Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

mystery German beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

mystery German beer

Post by GregClow »

I had the following query arrive in the news@bartowel.com inbox, and I can't figure out what beer this guy is looking for:

"2 years ago we were able to purchase, from the LCBO, a German BEER(WITH NO ENGLISH WRITING ON IT ), that was an original wood brewed and tasted as such. i never bothered to write the name down. can anyone help me??"

Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Really vague question. "An original wood brewed," what does he mean?

Rauchenfelser Steinbier is of a style that was originally brewed in wooden vessels. You can't put fire under wood (duh) so they threw in searing hot rocks for the boil.

(Marktoberdorfer brewery.)

Oh and it was sold here 3-4 years ago maybe, perhaps longer.
In Beerum Veritas

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

My guess is he's referring to the Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen. He probably mean's smoked instead of "wood brewed".
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Blankboy wrote:My guess is he's referring to the Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen. He probably mean's smoked instead of "wood brewed".
Ah, good call! You're probably right.

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

If that is the smoky one then I tried it...not rushing to get anymore but to each his own.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

It's pretty smoky alright. Think of deeply wood-smoked ham and a bit of hardwood ashes mingled in there just for bite, and that's pretty much Schlenkerla Märzen.

Steinbier is more session-drinkable and, while smoky gets its 'burny' character from the caramelization of the malt sugars onto the searing hot stones rather than the malts being smoked beforehand. It is not a 'smoked beer' though the taste may suggest it somewhat.

Yes it was sold here at LCBO in swing-top 500ml bottles with funny Nazi-era font script. Sorry but its true.
Last edited by Belgian on Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

So is Schlenkerla the beer that the guy was looking for? It would be my first guess, too, but Schlenkerla is pretty widely available; you'd think that someone who was looking for it would easily find it--and recognize it, given the distinctiveness of the label.

Has Rauchenfelser Steinbier ever been available in Ontario? I could be wrong, but I don't think it has--not at the LCBO, at least.

I find it funny how Raftman--a beer with, to my nose, not a whiff of smoke--gets constantly categorized as a smoked beer. And now it's a smoked witbier??? I think you've created a new beer style there, Belgian. Can an imperial smoked witbier be far behind? Someone inform BJCP immediately! :D

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Wheatsheaf wrote:So is Schlenkerla the beer that the guy was looking for?
I sent him the info, and he wrote back to say thanks, so I guess it was probably what he was looking for.

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

BeerMonger wrote:If that is the smoky one then I tried it...not rushing to get anymore but to each his own.
Man, I love this stuff! I always keep it stocked in the fridge. In fact, I had one yesterday.

I agree that the Raftman isn't very smoky smelling or tasting. As an alternate, the Church Key Holy Smoke is pretty good too.

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

DAN-D-MAN wrote:
BeerMonger wrote:If that is the smoky one then I tried it...not rushing to get anymore but to each his own.
Man, I love this stuff! I always keep it stocked in the fridge. In fact, I had one yesterday.

I agree that the Raftman isn't very smoky smelling or tasting. As an alternate, the Church Key Holy Smoke is pretty good too.
I'm a fan of smoked beers too, I think it's certainly a unique taste/flavor and some folks just don't really dig that flavor in a beer, to be honest, I couldn't drink pint after pint, but if I'm having an evening where we're sampling a bunch of beers, I love a little 4-6oz glass of this in there somewhere... It's also good when you're camping, around the campfire... Yeah... Or have it with some smoked Gouda...?
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com