Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Dogfish Head 60 MInute IPA

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

A wrote:Why not try getting some better-than-average US beers in like even Sierra Nevada Pale Ale? Rather than expecting the masses to jump on an insanely-hopped beer. I mean lets get real.
DFH 60 Minute isn't insanely-hopped. It's a really nice IPA, that's all, still very drinkable... The 90 minute is more like a Double-IPA, and I think it's fair to say the 120-minute is insanely hopped!

I'll be buying AT LEAST a case, probably more, it's a totally awesome brew and I'd most certainly like to support the LCBO brining in American Pales, IPA's, etc... I think at the very least, they should be stocking all of the defacto good American Micro's like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Pete's Wicked Ale, Red Hook ESB, Harpoon, etc, perhaps another Sam Adams style, or bring in some of their seasonals, and then from there, start branching into some of the more extreme styles like Imperial Pale Ales & Stouts, etc... I suppose the danger here is perhaps these beers will just take craft/micro brew dollars away from Ontario Craft Brewers??

Peter/Esprit - Could you get your beer buying contacts at the LCBO to perhaps meet a bunch of us Bartowels for a few pints at Volo's some night? I'd love to have an opportunity to learn more about how they make their buying decisions, what their thoughts are, goals are, etc...
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

60 minute is insanely hopped for regular beer drinkers. 120 minute is insanely hopped for us :)

I've always liked Pete's Wicked Ale. Thats another one that I'm sure would do well up here.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

While I'd love to churp in my two cents to this discussion I think that you've all done a good enough job assessing the situation. We BarTowellers all share a similar view (or should I say discontent!!!) with the LCBO.
Without restating what you've all just written, sufficient to say I agree, I empathize and I suffer like the rest of you. But only one thing...

The Chicory Stout was damn good as a standard session stout. Common people, it's nothing that makes your head spin like other DFH stuff (or other hardcore U.S. micros) but it was a nice beer. I enjoyed and wish we had it offered year round. Of course I'd rather see some of DFH's other amazing products, but let's not take that out on the stout now.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

I didn't realize until I tried the Chicory Stout, but chicory is the flavour that I don't like in coffee.

The 60min, I look forward to.

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

I popped one of my 60 minutes last night and while it is hoppy is it likely a notch less so that say Sgt Major IPA especially as there is bigger yeast creaminess and malt graininess balancing. They would make a good side by side...if I could find any Sgt Majors at the LCBO in Kingston!

I would think 60 min is a beer any bartoweller would be safe buying at least a six of.

RyanWright

Post by RyanWright »

I for one love IPA's and pale ales and will be buying at least a case of the 60 minute! I brought back a six pack from Cleveland last summer and enjoyed it very much. Hopefully there will be enough bartowellers buying this that the lcbo will bring in more of this beer style from U.S. breweries in future.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

RyanWright wrote:Hopefully there will be enough bartowellers buying this that the lcbo will bring in more of this beer style from U.S. breweries in future.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to matter a whole lot how many bartowellers buy up the seasonal beers - the best we an expect is a reissue of the same beer next year.

Does anybody know an example where the LBCO brought in more beers of a particular style/brewery after good sales in a promotional release? Or permanently listed one?

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

RyanWright wrote:Hopefully there will be enough bartowellers buying this that the lcbo will bring in more of this beer style from U.S. breweries in future.
It's not very likely. Most of the beers in every seasonal release sell out everywhere (or at least in the major stores in the major cities) and we still hear rumours of the LCBO cancelling this program due to low sales -- it doesn't even make sense. Every release we scramble all over the city to find the last few remaining bottles of this beer and that beer and yet it appears it's still not enough -- I don't know what more we can do. To use the Dogfish Head Chicory Stout as an example, there isn't Toronto downtown store that has any left but there are 80 in Brampton. WTF good are they there?
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

biegaman wrote:The Chicory Stout was damn good as a standard session stout. Common people, it's nothing that makes your head spin like other DFH stuff (or other hardcore U.S. micros) but it was a nice beer.
Too bad people get their shorts in a bind over the name, Chicory is just one subtle herbal ingrediant in this stout (which also HAS coffee, Andicus) and being as it was a war-time coffee substitute does not detract from Chicory's positive qualities. Bad naming choice I guess!
In Beerum Veritas

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

The name didn't bother me - I was STOKED to try this beer! Sounded awesome. Tasted ... significantly less than awesome. Still like the name, though.

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

I checked my blog note on the Chicory Stout and was reminded of the wierd tanginess in it presumably from the St. Johnswort, which is itself a sort of happy making herb and an odd ingredient because of it.

What did the guys at the LCBO lab make of that! And what the hell do they do at that lab anyway?

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Blankboy wrote: [I don't know what more we can do. To use the Dogfish Head Chicory Stout as an example, there isn't Toronto downtown store that has any left but there are 80 in Brampton. WTF good are they there?
---> same with the one store that had Rodenbach sitting around??!?!?!?

I won't even try to understand the LCBO's reasoning:
"Seasonals are poor sales"???
It seems to me like that must be a lie or an issue of (why I quote Blankboy) distribution.

They re-release Jenlain Gingembre? A fellow BarToweler and myself didn't even realize this was a seasonal because most stores around us still had the product from last summer on their shelf. Nevermind, Jenlain Gingembre speaks for itself.

For anyone who followed the show Arrested Development (may it rest in peace or be picked up by Showtime!) you can see a stricking parallel. The LCBO claims poor sales but yet do nothing to promote their seasonals! They put no effort into advertising these beers and do nothing to promote a higher level of beer appreciation which would lend itself to better sales. As David Cross pointed out with AD, when a show wins (I won't even list the number of awards and accredations) and ratings are still poor - then clearly it's not the show at fault - it's the network. The LCBO fails to realize it's not these beers - for those who know (us, here) can attest these are some of the world's best.

Now, of course we all know where this brings us. The market here in Ontarrible is "MolBatt" county. It's not so much that the LCBO "fails to realize" it's rather they don't care to. The LCBO's jurisdiction seems to be to support the MolBatt market; in large part to protect domestic industry. We all know some of these "poor sales seasonals" are staples at any liquor store in the States. Ask a store owner in the US if they'd consider dropping Orval, or DogFishHead, or Rochefort, or Samuel Smith products from their shelves. Not likely they would.
This is not about about sales, people!!!
The LCBO has a pretty strong monopoly remember? I think most of us BarTowelers understand the conspiracy here...

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

As a side note...

Our "Beer Store" braggs of 350 beers of which only 2 stouts, 1 porter, 2 bocks (if you consider Faxe Festbock as one, the only other being Niagara Eisbock at *select few* locations), 0 barleywine, 0 scotch/wee heavy, 0 gueuze/lambics, and only a couple Unibroue products to represent the VAST Belgian selection of styles. I could go on and on.

YET, they offer an abundant selection of "strong", "dry", and "ice". Dry??? DRY???
Isn't that what you call a county that doesn't allow alcohol? Wasn't that prohibition period?

Most of you know all this already, but I figured I would contribute to the discussion.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Belgian wrote:Chicory is just one subtle herbal ingrediant in this stout (which also HAS coffee, Andicus)
Interesting. I didn't realize that. Regardless, I assumed (yeah, I know) that the dominant taste in a chicory stout would be chicory. That dominant taste is what I didn't like about the stout. I'm not even sure how to describe it... a kind of sour bitterness? I like sour beer (Rodenbach) and bitter beer (take your pick) but the combination is just unusual and unpleasant to me. Whatever it was named, I would've had the same opinion, but perhaps may have blamed it on another ingredient.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Well not liking the CS is not liking it, sure. I read up on Chicory and it has some damn healthy properties eg. it cleanses the liver. This sure isn't a manistream classic style of beer but not everything was always so mainstream in beer, one can argue.

Al Beerblogger, you sure Barrack Street doesn't carry the S-I IPA, check the LCBO website. I've seen it listed in K-town I'm pretty sure! I could also hook you up with some Sgt. Majors on a trip down there, if no luck.
In Beerum Veritas