Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Visiting the Ginger Man Pub in Austin, TX

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jmcnally

Visiting the Ginger Man Pub in Austin, TX

Post by jmcnally »

Each year, I attend the South by Southwest Interactive conference in Austin, Texas, and each year, one of my buddies hosts a huge gathering on the first night as a mixer. This year, we're gathering at the Ginger Man Pub http://www.gingermanpub.com/austin/a-frame.html.

They claim to have more than 150 beers available and I'm sure there will be a lot of American microbrews that I've never tried before, or even heard of.

If any of you care to take a look at their beer list (tap and bottle), and feel like making any recommendations, I'd really appreciate it. My preferred beer type is darker ales and stouts.

Cheers!

Manul

Post by Manul »

In the order of my preference:

Great Divide Hercules IPA
Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA
05' Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
Stone IPA
Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale

flip

Post by flip »

I'd try the Real Ale Phonix Double ESB.

My parents moved to San Marcos, TX (about 30 minutes south of Austin) a few years ago. When I was down for Christmas I picked up a Real Ale sampler pack and liked them so much that we actually went to the brewery to check them out. I tried the Phoenix Double ESB at the brewery and liked it quite a bit. That and their Full Moon Rye Pale Rye Ale were my favourites.

Their beers aren't quite as adventurous as the DogfishHead, but I thought they had character and were pretty good. Definitely worth a try for a local beer.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

The Live Oak Hefe Weizen is well rated on Ratebeer i think.
triple karmeliet on tap would be quite the experience I expect. yumm!

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

Wow, I am very envious...

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

I had the Hercules IPA, which was nice, but too hoppy for me to enjoy more than one pint. Then I went to Young's Stout, then Guinness. Thanks for your suggestions. If I can get back there when it's not a crowded party atmosphere, I'll see if I can try some of the others.