Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer Books

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Wouldn't it be depressing if you read the book and you'd tried them all already... Sh*te, I guess I can die now... Bummer... :(
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

I have a half-written essay about my books in a half-started periodical called The Journal of Culture and Brewing. One thing I was trying to get to was the idea that homebrewing books are really indispensable for getting into beer, as is homebrewing I suppose. I also like Beer: The Story of the Pint and Man Walks Into a Pub.

One book I have to add to it is Travels With Barley which I just read. While it is a little folksy and light, it is also well written and somewhat expansive about the state of beer in the present day US.[/url]

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

Uncle Bobby wrote:
Old Faithful wrote:I can't understand why Coors/Molson and Molson before that won't resurrect the beers Molson sold in the 1920's like true Porters, Stouts, IPA's and Brown Ales, at least to promote interest in their product and heritage.
Gary,

I once had a book of historical beer recipes written by a crazy old English guy who went so far as to malt his own grain. He said that many of his recipes had been gleaned from the major breweries, many of which had archives of recipes dating back hundreds of years.

The recipes existed only in the recipe books of these breweries -- none of them were ever produced any more. For some reason they had allowed this fellow to reproduce them in his book.

Here's a link to the article I had read originally... in 1992 while I still lived in London. (Who says beer kills brain cells?!) Turns out the article was by Michael Jackson (should've guessed), and he has now posted it to his website.

http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000070.html

It looked intially like the book might still be available. (I had wanted to order a copy for my buddy so that I can get mine back!) Unfortunately, CAMRA, the current distributor has told me that the book is presently out of print.
I am quoting myself (always a sad sign) from an earlier string on old beer brands and types. The title of the book is "Old British Beers and How to Make Them" by Dr. John Harrison and includes medaeval recipes for beers "hopped" with rosemary.
::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Some of my picks:

Tim Webb's "Good Beer Guide to Belgium" is essential reading for anyone interested in Belgian beer.

"Farmhouse Ales" by Phil Markowski, "Wild Brews" by Jeff Sparrow, and "Brew Like a Monk" by Stan Hieronymus aren't for the casual reader, but all are fantastic.

It's nice to have something like Carl Forget's "Dictionary of Beer and Brewing" on hand.

Anything by Michael Jackson, of course, including lesser-known books like "The English Pub" and "The Great Beers of Belgium" (which is scarce on this side of the Atlantic, but I'm hoping that the recently-published 5th edition will be available from Amazon). Oh, and everyone's seen "The Beer Hunter" TV series, right?

"Beer Glorious Beer" is an excellent collection of essays on British brewing--past and present--edited by Roger Protz and Barrie Pepper.

Berliner Weisse

Post by Berliner Weisse »

My most recent purchase was "The Brewmaster's Table' by Garrett Oliver of the Brooklyn Brewing Co.. So far not a bad read, when time allows.

B.W.

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

The first beer book I ever read was Ian Bowering’s In Search of the Perfect Brew. A pretty good read, but I soon soured on Bowering because of what I perceived as his weak writing skills and some ideas of his with which I couldn't agree.

I really devoured Jamie MacKinnon’s The Ontario Beer Guide when it first came out. It’s quaint to look at now, but at the time it was leading edge. In that book MacKinnon wrote well with a great deal of passion and lots of humour – to my mind, his aforementioned Great Lakes Beer Guide is leaden in comparison.

Michael Jackson is king. His Beer Companion is my bible for beer. His Ultimate Beer and Great Beer Guide are just beautiful to look at, if admittedly a bit limited in written content.

The thing about Michael Jackson for me is that he is a great writer – not just a great beer writer. I have never forgotten this little bit in one of his pocket guides regarding Theakston’s Old Peculier:
In bottled form, it is as satisfying as a chaste kiss. If chilled, so is the kiss.
That’s great stuff.
Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

In that book MacKinnon wrote well with a great deal of passion and lots of humour – to my mind, his aforementioned Great Lakes Beer Guide is leaden in comparison.
Fair enough - it may be the Ontario Guide I was remembering fondly - read both several years ago now.

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

Micheal Jackson's "Beer Companion" is the book that started my interest in better beers, and got me dreaming of going to Belgium, England, Germany etc.

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

I just picked up a book called Beer in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance by Richard W. Unger (U. Penn pub.) at the Worlds Biggest Bookstore (or whatever it is called) in Toronto and noticed there was another copy there. These books have such limited runs I thought someone might like the heads up. Pricey at 75 bucks but it is an academic text, hardcover 2004, and I expect it to be chcok full of facts that I will only be able to discuss with whoever picks up the other copy.

antirealist

Post by antirealist »

Al the beerblogger wrote:I just picked up a book called Beer in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance by Richard W. Unger (U. Penn pub.).
Oddly enough...

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

I was just about to post asking about a good "encyclopedia" and remembered to search first. Thanks, all. Now I'm giving the thread a bump. If anyone has anything else/new to add, please...

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Theres a book (The Essential Reference of Domestic Brewers and Their Bottled Brands, 2nd Edition) that Stephen Beaumont recently recommended under the Bright Beer section of his website. It sounds interesting from a beer geek perspective and likely has tons of interesting tidbits....
Lagerale

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

A tip for those looking for beer book bargains: There's a book clearance place on Yonge a block or so north of Volo that has a few beer books available.

I picked up "Lager Heads", the book about the battles between Molson and Labatt that Gary mentioned earlier in the thread. I also saw a couple of Beaumont's books, several copies of Jamie MacKinnon's "Great Lakes Beer Guide" (published in 1997, so it's not that timely, but still interesting), and one or two others. There were also a good number of books about wine and spirits.