Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer Books

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Beer Books

Post by GregClow »

A post this morning from lagerale regarding the book "Notes On A Beermat" reminded me that I've been meaning to start a thread regarding beer books.

I'm curious to know what books about beer & related pursuits are on the shelves of other Bar Towellers. Any books you'd particularily recommend? Or warn others away from?

I'll try and post my own list & thoughts sometime soon, but in the meantime, let's hear from the rest of you.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Just finished this book:

http://www.manwalksintoapub.com/

Bloody hilarious. A good primer on British Beer history as well and offers and interesting look at how we've come to be the lager obsessed society we are now. Even praises and gets in a few shots at CAMRA as well. This was a great Christmas gift from a buddy and I can't recommend it highly enough.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

There are some great books out there. I have a decent library of them, having started collecting back in the 70's. Recently I threw out a number and kept what I felt were the more important ones.

First, as we see from the various threads, some people are interested to delve into the subject more than others. Some books tend to have more a social and historical bent, which appeals to some and less to others.

Michael Jackson's books on beer are a must for anyone who wants in-depth consumer information but also the larger historical perspective often with bits of social observation thrown in. As Michael Hancock once told me, Jackson's books are "entertaining": beer is the main focus but only a part of the story in a sense. His key books for me are the seminal 1977 World Guide To Beer and the Beer Companion volume of some years ago. The pocketbooks are very good too but he hasn't updated the last one in some years, still that last edition (from early 2000's I think) is well worth having.

In Canada, Steve Beaumont's books are indispensable and benefit in particular from Steve's accurate and lengthy taste notes, he writes some of the best in the business.

Beyond that there is a huge range and new ones coming out all the time. For some, especially a beginner looking to acquire volumes of permanent value, buy anything (basically) Jackson has written on beer and the books Steve Beaumont has authored.

Finally, All About Beer, the U.S. beer magazine, is a great way to keep up to date on mostly U.S. developments. And, it reviews most new beer books of interest so that is a way to learn about new books on beer.

If you join the U.K.-based Campaign for Real Ale, you will get their periodical, What's Brewing. It tends to have a real ale focus and can be a bit strident in my view but its heart is in the right place and it will keep you updated on the beer scene in the U.K.

Gary

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Looking up tupalev's recommendation "Man Walks Into a Pub" I came across the following two books that look interesting, anyone read them?

300 Beers to Try Before You Die

Beer: The Story of the Pint

"Everything's better with monkeys!"

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Man Walks Into A Pub is very good and offers the angle of the ad agency guy because the author used to work in that business. It has a humourous bent but under that guise contains a lot of solid business and other information.

Notes on a Beermat is very good, too, one of my favourites.

The Cornell book pictured is superb, another must, but quite historical in its approach.

Gary

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Man Walks Into A Pub is very good and offers the angle of the ad agency guy
Although he talks about the history of Beer Ads, I didn't get the Ad agency angle from his writing at all (I didn't read his bio, so I didn't know). Comes off more like a guy who likes to drink in good pubs. Saying that he is writing as a former ad agency guy would likely scare a few people off, so I thought I would share my 2 cents.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

A few topics ago, I mentioned the book, "The Brewmaster’s Table: Discovering the Pleasures of Real Beer with Real Food" by Garrett Oliver of Brooklyn Brewery. I still haven't finished it, but I like the author's style and everytime I read a chapter, I feel like drinking whatever style he was describing. What's even better is his passion for pairing great beer with various food styles - something that can turn a good beer and good food into a great experience! Highly recommended....
Lagerale

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

For those looking to get insight into the craft brewing world would do well to pick-up "Brewing up Business" by Sam Calagione, president of Dogfishead. Its an excellent look at the philosophy behind the company and to the struggles he faced in growing his company. I find it a hilariious read, but that may be because it strikes such a chord with me.
The second book on this subject is the just realeased "Beer School" by Steve Hindy and Tom Potter, founders of Brooklyn Brewing. This book is required reading if you have ever thought of opening your own brewery. Its really terrific.
"Every day above ground is a good one."

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

PRMason wrote:For those looking to get insight into the craft brewing world would do well to pick-up "Brewing up Business" by Sam Calagione, president of Dogfishead. Its an excellent look at the philosophy behind the company and to the struggles he faced in growing his company. I find it a hilariious read, but that may be because it strikes such a chord with me.
The second book on this subject is the just realeased "Beer School" by Steve Hindy and Tom Potter, founders of Brooklyn Brewing. This book is required reading if you have ever thought of opening your own brewery. Its really terrific.
I second the recommendation for Calagione's book, with the caveat that it does tend to lean a bit heavy on the business side of things at times. Great to hear about more about the history of such an interesting company.

Beaumont's Premium Beer Guide (?) Was very cool as well and was my first intro to a lot of great beers. The Canadian Guide is practically a mandatory read but by virtue of the pace of technology is quickly obsolete as breweries come and go or add products. Hmmm I havent pulled either of those off the shelf in a while.. may have to do that soon.

Cheers,
Jeremy

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I agree that Man Walks Into A Pub is not about the business of selling beer although I got numerous insights into that process from the book in light of the author's background, at least that's how I recall it, but it is indeed a good recent history of English beer and is very interesting and well-written in a light-hearted way. I think he became intrigued by beer as such when he started that job (unlike many of his counterparts around the world unfortunately!).

A book that is frankly about the beer flogging game is Lagerheads, which came out two years ago and last year again in a revised edition. It was written by a National Post business writer. It offers many insights into the world of mass beer but is hardly about beer as such. I counted 4 references to microbreweries in the Index. As late as 2005 they simply didn't rate on the radar screen for a book like this.

It remains an interesting book on the beer advertising and marketing businesses for those interested in that part of the beer world, I wonder if Cass (who is an ad executive) has read it. There are many good stories in it, eg how Pamela Anderson first came to national prominence.

Gary

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Most of my books & interest is in homebrewing.

For a good start, I'd recommend:
The Brewmaster's Bible: The Gold Standard for Home Brewers by Stephen Snyder
Dave Miller's Homebrewing Guide: Everything You Need to Know to Make Great-Tasting Beer Paperback by David G. Miller

For some deeper reading & awesome reference:
Designing Great Beers : The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles Paperback by Ray Daniels
New Brewing Lager Beer : The Most Comprehensive Book for Home and Microbrewers
by Gregory J. Noonan

For an artsie approach:
Radical Brewing: Recipes, Tales and World-Altering Meditations in a Glass by Randy Mosher

(I read about 20 books before I jumped right into all-grain brewing).

Charlie Papazian's stuff is a good read... I really liked "Brew like a monk", and some of the classic style series stuff is great as well.

Here's the Brewers association recommended reading:
http://www.beertown.org/education/reading.html

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Responsible Drinker wrote:For an artsie approach:
Radical Brewing: Recipes, Tales and World-Altering Meditations in a Glass by Randy Mosher
I'll second that recommendation. I bought this for some bedtime reading and it made me want to start brewing again. Now, just to find the time...

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

McCarthy's Bar
The Great Lakes Beer Guide, Jamie MacKinnon
Ireland's Pubs, Sybil Taylor
anything by Jackson, esp. The Beer Companion and The Great Beer Guide
several by Roger Protz
and Notes on a Beermat, of course

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

McCarthy's Bar
Loved it and the follow up "Road to McCarthy". Not beer books per say, but good pub books and a great laugh. I was very saddened when I heard the author passed away a year and a half ago.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

inertiaboy wrote:I'll second that recommendation. I bought this for some bedtime reading and it made me want to start brewing again. Now, just to find the time...
Thirded though we've got plenty of time, it's getting the ingredients that's been tough. We should get cracking though so that there'll be some brews for summer.

I've got about five or six other brew books scattered about...
lister