Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Divide private order interest?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

I contacted LCBO Private Ordering today and here's what I've found out:

1) lab tests were done for Oak Aged Yeti and Hercules in May 2005 so we would not need to pay for tests for these if we can order soon (tests are good for 12 months)

2) lab test would need to be done for any other products if we order more than 5 cases. the lab fee is $135 per product

3) I can get a quote for an aggregated order from multiple people provided everyone orders under their own name

The LCBO asked me to send an email to Great Divide about minimum orders per product. If they are willing to ship only five cases of, say, Old Ruffian within the context of a larger order, then we may be able to get pretty well everything.

Once I get a reply from Brian at Great Divide, I'll forward a quotation request to Sylvia at the LCBO and keep everyone updated.

This actually looks pretty promising...

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Thanks Inertiaboy. This looks good. A couple of comments:

Let's load up on Oak Yeti and Hercules, split 5 cases of Ruffian, and don't worry about normal Yeti. That should mean no lab fees if I am reading that correctly.

Hypothetically, but might it not be easier for one person to order this under their name and then collect from everyone once it comes in? Or maybe that's not easier (and illegal), who knows. I might be willing to do it if it was Toronto only and depending on the people involved.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Yep, you're definitely reading it correctly. Provided we can order while the lab tests are still valid (and it looks like we can), we should be able to get a truckload of the Oak Yeti and Hercules and up to 5 cases of any other product without having to incur any $135 fees (provided we can order only 5 cases from Great Divide).

We'd have to come up with some scheme for limiting orders to five cases because it needs to be done under the recipients' names. They were quite adamant on the phone about this, even before I had a chance to explain what we wanted to do. Having one person order it all and then distribute it to individuals is deemed to be illegal. I'm sure that splitting cases between people is also considered illegal (it is in Quebec for private ordering), but holding private tastings is likely fair game.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Got it, thanks. Keep me posted, I'll be happy to help out in any way I can, I'm going to be living right down by the Copper Street Store / Private Order pick up spot soon!

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

inertiaboy wrote:Having one person order it all and then distribute it to individuals is deemed to be illegal. I'm sure that splitting cases between people is also considered illegal (it is in Quebec for private ordering), but holding private tastings is likely fair game.
Ummm, we don't have to tell them. If I want to order 40 cases of something and then sell some cases to my friends I can certainly do so. In fact I've done it many times.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Blankboy wrote:Ummm, we don't have to tell them. If I want to order 40 cases of something and then sell some cases to my friends I can certainly do so. In fact I've done it many times.
Uh, making posts like this to a public message board where LCBO employees might be lurking probably isn't a great idea...

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

GregClow wrote:Uh, making posts like this to a public message board where LCBO employees might be lurking probably isn't a great idea...
Hence the username with no contact info. :)
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

From the LCBO private ordering? I thought they were pretty picky in terms of having names and addresses for folks, even if you were an agent. I agree with you, if I want to buy some and then give it to my friends, I should be able to (and if they want to give me money for it - not at a profit - so be it), but I'm sure the rule is in place so no one decides to set up Joe's Bottle shop out of their garage or something. And going in to buy 40 cases, after inquiring about the product already, under one person's name, just raises a bunch of red flags.

Or I'm giving the entire organization too much credit.

That's right sir, I do want to drink 40 cases of Great Divide by myself, on my own, is there a problem?

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Great work, inertiaboy.

Put me down for a case of Oak Yeti.

Manul

Post by Manul »

I've already filled out a quotation req for Hercules 2 weeks ago. If it turns out to be a agregate order, I'm going to pay for my 6 cases when I pick em up at Queensquay.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

A wrote:Put me down for a case of Oak Yeti.
Me too, and if more cases are needed to make the order happen, let me know what else can be / need be ordered.
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Sure, I'll jump in for a case of Hercules if you need more participants.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Do we have any idea on price at the moment? Will we before we need to commit?

I'm in for a case of Yeti (oaked, I guess), so long as the price is not stratospheric.

(BTW: Anyone know how many per case? I'd assume 12x650ml?)

-Josh

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

We definitely don't need to commit until we see the pricing. The LCBO will provide a quote before we need to order. No ETA on when we can get that. I expect it will be quicker that I thought before because the LCBO has ordered with Great Divide before.

The beers are described at the Great Divide site. It looks like Hercules, both Yetis, and Old Ruffian are 22oz, so probably 12x650ml.

John Aitken

Post by John Aitken »

Never had a Yeti yet. but would be interested in getting a case.