Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Spring release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Zithal

Post by Zithal »

Belgian wrote:
Zithal wrote:
Belgian wrote:Right now it's showing everywhere on lcbo.com.
Apparently, everywhere does not yet include the Kitchener/Waterloo area. *sigh*.
Yeah, most of the world completely forgets about Kitchener and Waterloo...

I'm only kidding!

(But how 'bout I call you "Small Town"?)
I'm the Small Town guy with Big Contacts! Friend just moved to Philly, a half hours drive from Victory. Growlers of the Storm King and Hop Devil are coming my way... eventually...

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Regardless of how much we (i.e.: bartowellers) buy of this beer, there's still going to be tons of it left in the system. Check out all the stock outside of the GTA - not that I don't think there are good beer lovers out there, but when the LCBO in Collingwood still has 62 bottles of Orval on the shelf (for example), I don't think they're going to sell 6 cases of DFH60.

The moral of the story is: no matter how fast we buy, we might never see this again.

-Josh

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Quite right the 60 minute may never be back, however the demand is notable and unprecedented. It's freaky how well it is moving so far, so let's see if that carries on & whether anyone at the LC notices.

And the 6 cases in Collingwood? Sorry, but that store is a complete joke since there's no market there - it's where they send good beer to rot!

Queen's Quay (Cooper Street) sold fifteen cases of Dogfish yesterday afternoon, and people are asking for it every ten minutes, so why bother.

Instead, Coxwell & Gerrard is a less-obvious store, easy to find the IPA there. Look for stores like that, avoid disappointment.
In Beerum Veritas

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Just got an e-mail from Mariah Calagione at Dogfish. They seem relieved the beer finally got to customers here and are glad we're enjoying it. Too early to ask her about repeat orders from the LCBO (or private orders for that matter) but I will follow up with her when stocks of the 60 min. IPA dry up.

I encourage everyone to both e-mail Dogfish and the LCBO (Peter supplied the addresses in an earlier post) to show your support for this beer. If the LCBO can be convinced to order quality U.S. micro beer more often, and the American breweries can be convinced all the hassle is worth it, we all stand to gain.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jon Walker wrote: I encourage everyone to both e-mail Dogfish and the LCBO....
Especially Dogfish -- this is just a small company and so any 'moral' support for them dealing with the frustrating, political LCBO really counts! Send a nice hello, tell them their beer really matters here & thank them for dealing with the pain-in-the-butt Ontario system.
__

This IPA really is very Real Ale like, which is the idea.
In Beerum Veritas

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

Just got back from the Bayview Village store. While in the beer section (which is totally redesigned), I saw an LCBO employee wheel out two cases of the DFH 60 Minute towards the front cash. Of course I followed to inquire and discovered the recipient to be Brian Morin's wife, so you will likely see these on Beerbistro's menu soon.

Once I received my case, I overheard the LCBO employee inform the customer service rep that if they receive any calls about the DFH 60, inform the caller there is a limited supply left and it's on a first come, first serve basis; no reservations.

They have 2 six-packs left. It's all about timing!
:wink:

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

Just in case anyone wants to send an email to the following people thanking them for the fine job they did securing the DFH and other spring releases, I found these addresses in another thread. Thanks to esprit for these...the search function is the dog's breakfast, but anyway.

Director Beers & Special Markets Kate-Mallett Thomas
kate-mallett.thomas@lcbo.com.

Category Manager Beer Leanne Rhee
leanne.rhee@lcbo.com.

Acting Product Manager Beer Jackie McAskill
jackie.mcaskill@lcbo.com.

clasher

Post by clasher »

Belgian wrote:
Zithal wrote:
Belgian wrote:Right now it's showing everywhere on lcbo.com.
Apparently, everywhere does not yet include the Kitchener/Waterloo area. *sigh*.
Yeah, most of the world completely forgets about Kitchener and Waterloo...
I, for one, don't blame them.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

e-mail address should read:

kate.mallett-thomas@lcbo.com.

The most important people to write to are the LCBO people as they will determine if anything is re-ordered. Sam and Claus at Dogfish love the response from Canada as well but orders speak more than compliments.

Zithal

Post by Zithal »

Just got off the phone with one of the K/W LCBO's and they mentioned that since the article on the beer was released, there's now not enough product to ship to the outlying cities. Toronto Metro a few other places have it, but they won't be shipping ANY our way.

Great. I've only been looking forward to this release since last Fall.

On one hand I SUPER PISSED OFF that I can't get any without a road trip. On the other hand, this better be a BIG F'N wakeup call for the LCBO. I doubt it. They'll just bring in more Euro-Lagers.

John Aitken

Post by John Aitken »

As much as I enjoy the Dogfish 60 min. I think it is important that we all still support our local brewers as well, I bought 1 case of the dogfish but I will stop at that as I would prefer to give my money to the local Ontario/Canadian brewers who need our support.

John Aitken

Post by John Aitken »

Just another thought, does any local craft brewer ship out of the country or is the customer base for them just local/Canada

Zithal

Post by Zithal »

John Aitken wrote:As much as I enjoy the Dogfish 60 min. I think it is important that we all still support our local brewers as well, I bought 1 case of the dogfish but I will stop at that as I would prefer to give my money to the local Ontario/Canadian brewers who need our support.
I do. I make a bi-weekly run to Guelph to pick up some Tankhouse Ale (as it's not available in KW). I'll then head to Burlington occationally to get some Sgt. Major IPA.

I agree that we should support local brewers, but it hard when they have very little that matches the quality and character of the micros to the south. The discovery of Premier Gourmet and the American market was one of the best/worst things to happen to me.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Zithal wrote:On one hand I SUPER PISSED OFF that I can't get any without a road trip. On the other hand, this better be a BIG F'N wakeup call for the LCBO. I doubt it. They'll just bring in more Euro-Lagers.
Are you SUPER SURE they won't "IST" you a few cases? Have you asked a store manager at one or two LCs in your area?

Transferring from, say:

2946 BLOOR STREET WEST - or - 3020 ELMCREEK RD.

Have you really asked? It is highly uncharacteristic of the LCBO (as a pseudo-egalitarian big-brother entity) to leave some areas out in the cold without even trying to look like they're making an effort.

Kingston just got five cases of DFH at one store that told people it wasn't coming, so anything is possible... you should explain your plight, they should at least consider an IST request on basic principle. Just because something's in brisk demand doesn't give them the right to throw up their hands and say 'too much work for one day' and forget generally fair policy ----- it's the ONTARIO liquor board, THEY chose to represent a whole damn province, so let them deal with these complications.

They just delivered 22 cases to Kingsway, for God's sake... push them a little on the 'fair policy' thing and get your two cases transferred to Smalltown Kitchener.
Last edited by Belgian on Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

John Aitken

Post by John Aitken »

Ok I'm a hypocrite, I have 4 cases coming from Great Divide, but I guess with all the Hype I am seeing about the dogfish I wonder why we can't support our locals with such enthusiasm.