Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Spring release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

LCBO Spring release

Post by esprit »

Well, the Spring beers are finally starting to hit the stores. I see that Mort Subite Gueuze and Weltenburger Asam-Bock are in stores in the Ottawa, London and Hamilton areas but not yet in Toronto...I'm sure we'll see them here during the next week. Dogfish Head has yet to even be listed on the site so I'll inquire about it's status on Monday as it should be the hghlight of the release.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Just earlier today I stopped by one of the bigger LCBO's out here in the east end. I noticed they had made room for the incoming seasonals and already had the Trafalgar Bock up on the shelves. I asked the manager (who actually seemed rather knowledgful of his products) when he'd be expecting the seasonals to arrive...

While he couldn't give me exact dates he mentioned that he was shown a list of 28 new beers that will be introduced between now and the summer. I didn't believe it at first, and figured (as with the Beer Store) they count different size packaging as unique brands alltogether. I said 'I understand there is 6 or so in this seasonal release, but...' and this manager insisted he had read the list, and 28 new beers are on the way in the coming months.

I don't wanna get anyones hopes up (including my own). Can you clarify any of this Peter? Was this guy just confused? He was quite sure and seemed to have a good grasp of all his products. But 28 new brands? Common! No.. really?

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

They are expecting the shipment at my local LCBO on April 5th or 6th...I will advise...after I clear it out of course :lol:

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

Check this out...particularly the top row...

http://www.vintageassessments.com/np-apr1-2006-af.html

Steve Spong

Post by Steve Spong »

biegaman wrote:Just earlier today I stopped by one of the bigger LCBO's out here in the east end.
Which LCBO was it that you were at? I'd like to drop by and check it out. More crucially, what were some of the beers that were on the list? If it's some Olde English variant, then it's hardly news, but if it's something really excellent then we can all start awaiting arrivals with baited breath. I'm intrigued and potentially hopeful.
"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

I'm sorry to say that the LCBO is in fact introducing many new brands in the coming months....none of you will be happy. More euro-lager crap even high alcohol in can...I don't have the list but it's incredibly uninspiring. We didn't get a single listing and, in fact, most of the purchases were not put out for tender.
We have the LCBO's call letter for the next year and, again, it's dismal. Their new environmental obsession means that if it isn't in a can, they're not going to buy it. The first call is for premium UK ales in a can under $2.50. If you can find a beer like that then you're Sherlock Holmes. Two days ago I heard that both the Beer Category Manager and Product Manager have departed as of Friday. They wouldn't tell me where they were going or who was replacing them. Pretty much the same way the Soviets dealt with leadership changes The category is a revolving door and it's unlikely we'll see anyone with a knowledge of good beer in any senior position there.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

esprit wrote:I'm sorry to say that the LCBO is in fact introducing many new brands in the coming months....none of you will be happy. More euro-lager crap even high alcohol in can...I don't have the list but it's incredibly uninspiring...We have the LCBO's call letter for the next year and, again, it's dismal...

F*&%#in H@*ll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew it! Those... ahh man. Well guys, that's it, I'm moving. See ya...
esprit wrote: They wouldn't tell me where they were going or who was replacing them. Pretty much the same way the Soviets dealt with leadership changes
Haha that's funny... and it explains all this Eastern Euro favouratism.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Peter, screw it, if they mess with this situation any more I will buy all my beer directly from you rather than support these LC freaks. Or I will shamelessly drag it across the border. It's unacceptable.

I only hope the LCBO's perpetually dismal selection practices put them at great risk of financial disaster, even though the losses will cost a lot of tax revenue initially. Our short-term loss may serve as the well-composted manure for future gains.

You see, LCBO, people are not fools - we the Public are not becoming less sophisticated, but instead the Public's taste is improving very much in Ontario. And your system of selection now completely overlooks taste, for what are basically irrelevant criteria. The LCBO needs a reality check and a real business plan in order to proceed in a manner that is responsible to Ontario consumers, and responsible not just in lip-service but also in practice.
In Beerum Veritas

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Belgian wrote:Peter, screw it, if they mess with this situation any more I will buy all my beer directly from you rather than support these LC freaks. Or I will shamelessly drag it across the border. It's unacceptable.
[/b]
either way the LC will still get their cut...they're like a communist mafia.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jan Primus wrote:
Belgian wrote:Peter, screw it, if they mess with this situation any more I will buy all my beer directly from you rather than support these LC freaks. Or I will shamelessly drag it across the border. It's unacceptable.
either way the LC will still get their cut...they're like a communist mafia.
They WILL get their cut, or find some way to throw up increasingly Nazi-like policies discouraging participation in more selective importing.

Josh O. on RateBeer was just writing about the ludicrously poor East-Euro lagers that are being inappropriately 'dumped' (simply no other phrase) on our market. Obscure pisswater beers for which on ratebeer.com Canadians comprise a full 25 of all the 27 ratings. Pathetic! Proving these are beers that would have NO VIABLE FOOTHOLD IN A GENUINE CAPITALIST MARKET such as in the United States.

Why are the LCBO blocking out viable, quality competition from Mill Street Tankhouse and even US brewers... only to force unwelcome and undesirable EAST EURO lagers down our gullets?

What is going ON here?

I mean, HOW do these disgraceful shenanigans support the growth of North American industry??

And... do we need a govenment agency deciding for us, against all real-world market wisdom, what mediocre beer we should be limited to enjoying in this province?
In Beerum Veritas

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Wait a minute guys....you voted in a corrupt fence-riding liberal government! You get what your lack of foresight earns you. :oops:

May the force you have voted for protect you.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Rob Creighton wrote:Wait a minute guys....you voted in a corrupt fence-riding liberal government! You get what your lack of foresight earns you. :oops:

May the force you have voted for protect you.
WTF? I didn't see the previous slash & burn tory government rushing to privatize the LCBO...

-Josh

Steve Spong

Post by Steve Spong »

I don't think many provincial governments are going to be quick to privatise the LCBO - it's too much of a cash cow. Regardless of what type of short-term gains they might make, in the long run it will result in a loss of income. After all, the LCBO is the single largest purchaser of wine and spirits in the world, along with the requisite profits for the province, regardless of who is in power. We've had NDP, Tory, and Liberal governments in the previous 20 years - have any of them seriously tried to sell it?
"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Belgian wrote:
Why are the LCBO blocking out viable, quality competition from Mill Street Tankhouse and even US brewers... only to force unwelcome and undesirable EAST EURO lagers down our gullets?

What is going ON here?
My understanding is the LCBO does this to cater to Toronto's many, many immigrant/ethnic communities that make up a large portion of beer sales. I spoke to a Croatian waitress once who told me that when the LCBO pulled Karlovako there was huge outcry from the Croatian community. Apperently she said they lobbied and complained, and lobbied more and complained more, until eventually - LCBO listened. Only being a second generation Canadian (on my dads side anyways) I can understand first hand the huge selection of Polish lagers offered.

If this story teaches us anything its that our complaints CAN make a difference. WE DO make up some share of the market, our taste count too! Well, whatever...maybe, maybe not. But either way - nationalism, staying loyal to their country's beer - that's what's apperently going on.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

If what you say is true, I would be tad upset as a beer drinker in any other city in Ontario that Toronto's particular multicultural make up is dictating what appears on my LCBO shelves.