Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Dogfish Head 60 Minutes

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

Hey Belgian, I had a very long day at the office (Excedrin headache #whatever) but I have to thank you for your poem ending with "each man, one goat" .

That made me laugh and I'm feeling a little better already.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

I had a friend pick me up a case (and deliver! Ok, he was visiting anyway) from Ottawa on the weekend. I'm willing to put 12 or so up for trade. I don't want to sell, I'd like to trade. For good stuff I can't get around here. Preferably good stuff I haven't rated (just look me up on ratebeer) but I'll take some quality repeats for sure. Message me if you're interested.

And no fruit beers! Just kidding.

Jeff

clasher

Post by clasher »

Beer Geek wrote: I do remember the Merchant's pumpkin, it was my introduction to the style.
Same here, how does it compare to others? Are there any other offerings available in Ontario?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BeerMonger wrote:Hey Belgian, I had a very long day at the office (Excedrin headache #whatever) but I have to thank you for your poem ending with "each man, one goat" .

That made me laugh and I'm feeling a little better already.
You mock my Home Land Anthem? :wink:
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Steve-E wrote:Let's compromise.

DFH ApriHop is an oustanding beer that will hopefully cover the middle ground.
I have tried the ApriHop before at Smokeless on the recommendation of the bartender when something else I wanted wasn't available. I hadn't tried nor really heard of Dogfish Head at the time and wasn't expecting anything more than it being in the same ballpark as McAuslan's Apricot Wheat. Wrong on that account! :o

Given the choice between 60Min and ApriHop, I'll take the 60Min. (But I'd rather have a pilsner or hefeweizen...)
lister

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

lagerale wrote:Never had a pumpkin beer before though, sounds intriguing, yet somehow very weird....to me.
The only pumpkin beer I've had is at the Salem Beer Works. I hate pumpkin. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin seeds, pumpkin whatever. Bleah. Last year was the first time in over a decade that I participated in making some jack-o-lanterns during Halloween. I still gagged at the smell. Anyways, after taking a cautious sniff and sip of my girlfriend's pint, I found it quite nice, light and not too heavy on the pumpkin taste.
lister

radiomgb

Post by radiomgb »

clasher wrote:
Beer Geek wrote: I do remember the Merchant's pumpkin, it was my introduction to the style.
Same here, how does it compare to others? Are there any other offerings available in Ontario?
The Olde Stone brewpub here in Peterborough does a Pumpkin beer every October.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Beer Geek wrote:Lister, I do apologize, my intent was not to insult you or offend you. I guess I was just in a state of “SHOCK” when I responded to your post. :o Sometimes I can’t control the Hop Devil sitting on my shoulder.
That's cool.
lister

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

lister wrote:I cracked open a bottle on Saturday. It certainly is easier to drink than most of it's breathern. The maltiness takes some of the edge off. Even then, I still don't understand the appeal of hoppy beers. They certainly aren't tasty nor refreshing. :-?
Lister, I've seen your reviews on about 4 or 5 IPA's and you consistently don't like them... I have to say I'm impressed by your willingness to keep on trying, but I think it's safe to say that you don't like hoppy/bitter beer, therefore, there's really no point in you reviewing it...

It reminds me of when I was in college, I was into Alternative bands, after a band had been in town, I'd have gone to see them, had an amazing time, then I'd read a concert review in The Star or something, and it was totally rip the band apart, say they sucked, etc... I could only assume that these reporters just didn't like these bands, and thus didn't enjoy their shows...

Stick with the styles you enjoy and if something unusual comes along, fair play, give it a go, but I think that endlessly posting that you don't like Pale Ales is pointless... You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but seeing how the DFH 60 Minute flew off the shelves, clearly it is an exceptional beer and most beer enthusiasts like, if not, love it... (Myself included...)
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JWalter wrote:
lister wrote:I cracked open a bottle on Saturday. It certainly is easier to drink than most of it's breathern. The maltiness takes some of the edge off. Even then, I still don't understand the appeal of hoppy beers. They certainly aren't tasty nor refreshing. :-?
Lister, I've seen your reviews on about 4 or 5 IPA's and you consistently don't like them... I have to say I'm impressed by your willingness to keep on trying, but I think it's safe to say that you don't like hoppy/bitter beer, therefore, there's really no point in you reviewing it...(Myself included...)
Why?

If someone wants to say in his opinion DFH 60 was not 'easy to drink' or 'refreshing', that's his or her prerogative.

It's not like he's trashing any product 'music reviewer'- style... Lister's freely admitting there is a personal "taste barrier" for him to enjoy quite hoppy beers. That takes away nothing from those products or people's enjoyment of them.

Sometimes I feel the Beer Community is way too protective and lacks a sense of humour about things like Lister posting what he does not like this week! it's almost an enjoyable saga of 'hmm, what will it be this time?' Let's lighten up here, rather than try and 'censor' what is merely a social exchange.
In Beerum Veritas

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Agree with Belgian. We're not professional reviewers (Lister, are you getting paid for these reviews :) ) and this is a discussion forum. All opinions are welcome IMHO. Even if you like Steelback :o

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Ok, so let me get this straight, Lister is encouraged to continue repeatedly posting his opinions that he doesn't like Pale Ales.

I'm discouraged from posting my opinion.

Fair play... No biggie... Lister, no offence intended, I certainly don't want to be seen as starting a flame, I've been posting on BBS's and Forums for geez, probably about 20 years now, so that's not my intention at all... It was late last night and to be honest, I did see the thread as humorous and thought I'd chip in my 2 cents...

Lister - Please, keep drinking IPA's and letting us know your thoughts on them!!, PM me your address and I'll drop by with a bottle of Great Divide's Hercules Double IPA, we'll share the bottle... ;^)
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

lagerale wrote:Lister, are you getting paid for these reviews :) )
No. I wish I was, it would help with the coming mortgage. Though I think whoever thought my writing was good enough to be paid for should get their head examined. I suck at writing anything more than a short blurb.
Even if you like Steelback :o
Never tried anything of theirs. Probably won't unless I'm at a party or something.
lister

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:lacks a sense of humour about things like Lister posting what he does not like this week! it's almost an enjoyable saga of 'hmm, what will it be this time?
Glad I amuse you. I find some of your stuff amusing too. :)
lister

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

lagerale wrote:Agree with Belgian. We're not professional reviewers (Lister, are you getting paid for these reviews :) ) and this is a discussion forum. All opinions are welcome IMHO. Even if you like Steelback :o
I don't entirely agree here. Bartowel IMHO is fundamentally about good beer... Lister from my understanding generally does like good beer, just not always the same stuff as everyone else. Thats fine.

That's different from promoting beer that is generally regarded as quite poor. In the OCB thread people were griping about the inclusion of certain breweries,... well if someone is going to post a rave review that Mediocre Brand X is great stuff, the rest of us are in some sense obligated to balance that opinion. There is no need to be antagonistic, were all grown ups here, but if someone checks out "Toronto's Premier Beer Resource" and thinks that MBX is the shiznit, we are hardly doing the beer community any favours.