Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Wineries NOTL

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Wineries NOTL

Post by JerCraigs »

I'm planning a trip out to Niagara this summer and will likely do some winery tours. Any recommendations?

Im thinking Inniskillen and Coyotes Run so far. I liked CR at the wine show, and had some nice wines at Inniskillen last trip.

We also visited Peller, Frog Pond, and some others in Beamsville last trip so probably won't hit those this trip.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

I've always liked Rief, Strewn, and Stonechurch. I've had a nice bbq lunch at the latter a couple of times now.

Other friends have spoke highly of Daniel Lenko. I think they are very small so you may need to call ahead.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Inniskillin is great, but it is a biggish operation now. If Debi Pratt is there, tell her I sent you. I used to work for Inniskillin and you may get a better tour. Coyote's Run is excellent, esp. their Pinot Noir. Its co-owned by a friend of mine, David Sheppard. Dave is the wine maker and if you call the winery and mention that I know you, you may get a private barrel tasting or something.
Konzelmann is also a great winery, as is Cave Spring, Lakeview Cellars, Angels Gate.
Henry of Pelham is also a top-notch winery. If any of the Speck brothers, who own the winery are there, mention me or my wife Astrid and maybe you'll get a better tour. Astrid was their first sales manager and she went to school with Paul Speck, the president of the winery. She also planted the Baco Noir during the summer break in High School!
"Every day above ground is a good one."

flip

Post by flip »

My wife and I did a bit of a tour last summer. We both REALLY liked Konzelmann: they're small, friendly, and have some good wines that you don't always see in the LCBO. We really liked their Baco Noir.

Thirty Bench is definitely worth a stop either on the way to or the way from the peninsula. They had some great wines there. I don't know if they will still have them, but out favourite purchase there was a series of Cabernet Francs from the same vineyard. They were bottled in 500 mL bottles but aged three different ways: one in stainless steel, one in American Oak, and one in Canadian Oak. We figured there would be difference between them, but really were surprised by the pronounced the differences were.

I'd also recommend Stratus: the setup was a little "big city" for our liking (especially compared to Konzelmann's) and the wines are a little pricier than some other places. However, their chardonnay, Red and White were really are outstanding. If you wanted to pick up a couple of special bottles, I'd suggest checking them out: it's worth it.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Thanks for the tips guys!

I really liked the Rieslings at Inniskillin,especially the late harvest ones, and its very close to NOTL which is a big factor in choosing it. We didn't really do the tour last visit. Rief is close to NOTL as well. So that might be an interesting one.

I have done the tour at Pelham before - at least one of the Speck brothers is/was a fan of the Black Oak Pale Ale. I really like the wines at Thirty Bench on our last trip, and the server was very friendly. Both of those are just out of the way enough to diminish their appeal on this trip, but who knows.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I did the taste-the-season tour last year and hit most of them.

Here's a list:
http://www.niagaraonthelake.com/Winerie ... content.do

In general, I recommend paying for some good samples... IMO the free stuff usually blows. Unless you become a Hillebrand/Peller-Estates winecountry at home member... then they give some great 'free' stuff.

Strewn is top-notch & does good food at the restaurant (which wasn't quite as pricie as some of the larger ones).

Lailey Vineyard Winery is a little operation that also produces some great stuff (Full disclosure: I know Tonya Lailey).

Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the most unique thing I tried. It was grape that's cultivated around the finger-lakes in upstate New York... and I think it was finished with Brett. It had some SERIOUS horsey/leather flavours. I regret not buying a bottle (my wife thought it was disguisting).

There's plenty of incredible (small batch) wines that don't make it into the LCBO!

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

I'll second the recommendations of Strewn, Lailey, Cave Spring and Henry of Pelham.

I'd also recommend Vineland Estates (good Rieslings and knowledgeable pouring room staff) as well as Fielding Estates, one of the newer operations (again, great Riesling) and Flat Rock (again, Riesling, and some interesting Pinot Noir).

And the Niagara College Teaching Winery is also an interesting stop. The people selling the wine are students who are studying to become winemakers, so you can get into some interesting discussions with them.

I'd avoid Chateau de Charmes, which although impressive looking, has a really lacklustre group of people pouring their wines.

The village of Jordan is at the centre of all the really great (IMHO) Beamsville Bench wineries. I prefer them to the NOTL proper operations. If you want a great restaurant recommendation, I'd go to the Stone Road Grille in NOTL.

Have fun!

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

I've been impressed with the http://www.marynissen.com/index2.php reds.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Second the recommendation of Strewn for the restaurant and Marynissen for the reds.

Perry, I have not been to Coyote's Run but I lead an annual tour of about 25 people down to NOTL in the fall and I may try that one this year - thanks for the recommendation.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

flip wrote:a series of Cabernet Francs...
I received in 'gift' a Canadian VQA Cab Franc from a direct vineyard purchase, and oh boy... it poured like clear ruddy water, no viscosity at all. I have never encountered a more silly, thin, acidic wine - it made Beaujolais seem like Barolo. It made Rosé seem manly. Guess I will use it to marinate something! Never have grapes made such a swift transition to limp, useless fluid. Must have had a lot of rain that year.

There are some great Canadian success stories, such as the Baco Noir you mention - that one's a hybrid, and Canada now has the more successful hybrid wines produced in the world.

Places like France severely restrict Hybrid use (respecting traditions & lots of luck), whereas Canadians are free to go wild, & adapt cross-breeds of grapes (European, native...) to better match the actual growing conditions & achieve the most desirable result (great wine.) Pretty cool stuff, huh?
In Beerum Veritas

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

As far as Ontario reds go, 2002 was a great year. I don't know if I'd be as confident buying the 2003s.

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Did a tour with some friends last fall, had a fantastic time, warning, I'm still a newbie when it comes to wine... but enjoying learning :) here's my blog post about it... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com/2005/0 ... n-fun.html
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

Ah, thanks for reminding me. I also have a pretty good report on my blog from 2003: http://www.consolationchamps.com/archiv ... _jord.html