Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

McEwan's India Pale Ale - no longer brewed???

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Last time I was at Volo they still had Southern Tier IPA.

That beer smacks you in the mouth with hops, and I enjoy it much more than the Dogfish Head 60 Minute. No sickly malt sweetness gets in the way.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Great Divide Titan IPA.
Southern Tier IPA.....That beer smacks you in the mouth with hops,
The original query was for something similar to McEwan's IPA. I point that out because I think some of the criticism of Gary's reply is off-base. I like DFH 60 very much (bought two cases) but I also like Sleeman's IPA and think that is a better bet for someone who is looking for a McEwan's IPA taste-alike. I also find that there is a vehement anti-Sleeman feeling among many here, which I don't quite understand. Sure, I prefer Black Oak Pale, Headstrong and Mill Street on most occasions, but I hardly think Sleeman IPA is "swill". Again, it's all a matter of taste I guess. Not sure I would go so far as to defend the recommendation of Rickards, for example. On the other hand, on a couple of occasions I've been at functions recently where the best choice was Keith's, and I've tried hard to see the positives Gary has written about in this beer, and enjoy it for what it is if I "have to" drink one.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Thanks for your take and one thing worth adding I think: IPA tends to bring out the best in a brewer's beers. The ranges may vary amongst themselves, but the IPA will often be the most characterful.

Also, under a separate thread I will soon print some extracts on IPA from an 1800's book.

Gary

david henman

Post by david henman »

old faithful wrote:There are a number of other beers I like in the IPA vein including Scotch-Irish IPA which is very good especially the current brewing which stresses the malt more than past ones. Gary

...i like this one a lot, gary. a little pricey, but what are ya gonna do?

-david