Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ottawa pubs

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

MattB

Ottawa pubs

Post by MattB »

I am sentenced to go to Ottawa next week. Most likely staying at the Chateau Laurier. Any one know of any good pubs, especially ones with cask ales? Scotch Irish is from the area ... they must have some outlet there.
Remember -- beer has food value; food has no beer value

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

MattB wrote:I am sentenced to go to Ottawa next week. Most likely staying at the Chateau Laurier. Any one know of any good pubs, especially ones with cask ales? Scotch Irish is from the area ... they must have some outlet there.
Check out this map.

The Black Tomato is the best bet downtown and is very close to the Chateau Laurier. They often have Wellington on a handpump but I've not had good luck with it. You should be able to find Scotch Irish and Church Key and the food is really good.

The Arrow and Loon often has the Session Ale on handpump and it's always been in good shape when I've been there.

Pub Italia doesn't have handpumps but has a good selection of beer. It's a very interesting decor. It also has a little shop next door that sells glasses, shirts, and other beer-related stuff.

The Clocktower often has one of their own on handpump. It's an okay brewpub, but I would put it near the bottom of the list if you are only in town for a few days.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I like the Black Tomato too but note it's more a restaurant than a pub, and also that Wellington owns the handpump there (if you are looking for cask Scotch Irish).

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

You could also call Perry at (613) 622-0055 or 1-888-577-5088 to see where Scotch Irish is currently on tap in Ottawa. Unfortunately, the city isn't that adventurous yet when it comes to beer :cry:

X

Post by X »

I believe The Manx on Elgin Street carries one of the Scotch Irish beers (can't remember which one though).

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

The Clocktower often has one of their own on handpump. It's an okay brewpub, but I would put it near the bottom of the list if you are only in town for a few days.[/quote]

I would toss a vote of support in for their cask conditioned ale. Last I had it was a few months back and it was pretty nice.

Most of 'Downtown Ottawa' pub life is in the Market. You will be fine for the standard firkin-syle pubs, but not much more. Even when Hart was a strong brewery, the product was hard to find up there.[/quote]

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I went to Arrow and Loon, and they have currently 3 cask ales, two wellingtons, and one scotch Irosh Dry Hop Bitter, which is great:

SCOTCH IRISH BREWING CO. - DRY HOP BITTER
(Arrow And Loon Pub, Ottawa, 35/50, B ) The nose is of oranges, old, but not yet turned. Citric, sweet and pretty strong, fruity aromas: grapefruit, watermelon, peach. Typical look for a cask ale: copper and clouded by a nice sediment. Laces nicely on the glass. The flavours are of apricot, orange, lemon and a great hoppish bite. Nice light acidic hops with peach and lemon highlights. The mouth is slick and almost waterry. Medium-weight body with no carbonation (obviously). All in all, an awesome bitter, but like all cask ales, oxydizes very rapidly in the cask, and glass, so drink up!

MattB

Post by MattB »

Many thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you know what I think when I get back.

Meanwhile, this weekend ... Volo!