Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sgt. Major's IPA

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Thanks Josh for your kind words! I never know what to expect when someone with an educated palate tries one of my ales for the first time. I knew that I loved the IPA, but all my beers are like my children to me and I always love them! Thanks to Joe C. from Hamilton for all his support as well. Looks like the Bow and Arrow will be taking IPA first in Toronto. I hope to score a couple more venues before too long. But there's always the 'Judge...

Manul

Post by Manul »

Can you let us know when it's going to be available at the Bow & Arrow?

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

The Sgt. Major's IPA was delivered to both the Bow and Joe's on Saturday the 11th in the afternoon. When a tap becomes available, it will be poured. Please let me know what you think of this beer, its important for me to gauge response from a beer savvy audience.
Cheers!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PRMason on 2002-05-14 16:13 ]</font>

Sac

Post by Sac »

The IPA is on at Smokeless, great response so far.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Just popped in to Joe's for a pint. Very good Perry, congrats! Definately superior to both Al's Cask Ale at C'est What and the I.P.A. at the Granite. I hope you make it a regular product and that it features regularly at S.J.'s.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Thanks guys! I originally envisioned the IPA being a once a year summer seasonal. I may have to re-think this if sales continue the way they are.
I must applaud the premium beer drinkers in Toronto, Hamilton and Ottawa for supporting this product. I humbly underestimated the thirst for envelope pushing beers.
Thanks again for your support.
Perry

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Perry, this is one fine beer. You must have picked up some tips from south of the border because this beer is quite reminiscent of some of the great American IPAs. In fact, it reminds me of a really tasty brewpub beer you can find in Buffalo called Inferno Pod Ale (hint, figure out the acronym for that one :smile: ) but with a bigger body and finish. Good stuff.

I'm glad to see its selling well. There's a market in the US for these beers so in theory one could easily develop up here.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A on 2002-05-20 19:54 ]</font>

SirIsm

Post by SirIsm »

I went the Bow last night to quaff a pint and was disappointed to hear that it had run out...I guess that is a testament to its popularity.

Kent

Post by Kent »

Perry,
As I mentioned to you at the Judge's Fest, this is a very fine brew. I have just heard a rumor today that Sgt. Major will be available in cask form on a more regular basis. I certainly hope this is true.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Thanks to SirIsm, A, Kent and Jon and Joe for your kind words. I have beer to Portland Oregon several times and was inspired by the IPA's of the Pacific North-West. I hope Sgt. Major's does justice to the style.
I will be brewing another batch of Sgt. Major's next week and some will be put into firkins, again, only for the Winking Judge. Thet were my mentors on this project and I have promised them an exclusive on the cask. If I have any left, I will bring one to the St-Lawrence Market Beer Show on Fathers Day weekend, along with the draught version, cask and draught Session and draught Black Irish.
Thanks again for your continued support.
Perry

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

SirIsm, the Bow will receive another keg of Sgt. Major's IPA this weekend (June 1-2). They'll tap it as soon as a spot is available.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Perry, I wanted to pipe in and say how much I enjoyed the IPA as well. Tried a few pints at Joe's recently and was thoroughly impressed. Great work!

SirIsm

Post by SirIsm »

Finally got a chance at the Sgt. Major's IPA last night. Very tasty. Even allowed my friend, a sworn anti-IPAite, a "sip" and had him instantly converted.