Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Westons Stowford Press English Export Cider

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Publican

Westons Stowford Press English Export Cider

Post by Publican »

I was thinking about putting this in the Beer Reviews part of the forum but Cider is not beer so I decided to talk about it in here. This is a new addition to the LCBO but I don't know if it's part of the General list or is a seasonal release. Weston's Stowford Press English Export cider is made in Much Marcle, Herefordshire and it's much better than Stongbow or Blackthorn which are the other English ciders that the LCBO carries. I found this cider to be very dry but the LCBO says that it has a sugar content of 3.

The LCBO charges $4.45 for a 660 mL bottle. I would love to have this cask conditioned but would have to travel to England for that. It would be nice to see County or Wauppoos ciders cask conditoned. My buddy's girlfriend wonders why there are are not more cider companies in Ontario considering that Ontario grows a lot of apples, I have to wonder that myself

When you look on the LCBO website leave out Westons from your search.

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

"My buddy's girlfriend wonders why there are are not more cider companies in Ontario considering that Ontario grows a lot of apples"

Are there any cider makers in Ontario? I've tasted and enjoyed non-alcoholic apple cider at farm makets, (St Jacobs, etc) I'd really like to try a fresh hard cider.
I'd really really like to try a peary cider. :)

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Frank used to use the mash press in Tiverton to press fruit. Maybe you could put a bug in his ear to make a cider. I'm sure he'll claim the idea as his own within hours. :roll:

clasher

Post by clasher »

Most of the apples grown in ontario aren't really cider apples they are cooking or eating apples. Cider apples are more tart and bitter.

I'll have to keep my eye out for this new cider. Real perry would be nice to try someday... I've been meaning to make my own for a while now.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Lat time I checked, I was the Real Perry!
"Every day above ground is a good one."

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

There's Ironwood hard cider from niagara:
http://www.sunnybrookfarmwinery.com/

clasher

Post by clasher »

I found that a bit too sweet for my tastes, but it has been ages since I've been somewhere that has it.

antirealist

Post by antirealist »

PRMason wrote:Lat time I checked, I was the Real Perry!
So are you a bit too sweet, or more tart and bitter?