Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer Choices for a New Restaurant

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dsoneil

Beer Choices for a New Restaurant

Post by dsoneil »

Hello, I've been lurking around here for a while and reading / trying a lot of the beers discussed here. I'm a bartender and currently I'm setting up a new bar for a upscale restaurant in London, Ontario called Mint. It's actually right across the street from Chauncey Smith a restaurant with a good selection of beer.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear everyone's opinion on a small selection of beer that I'm trying to bring in. Here's what I've thinking and why we will stock them. For example if someone ordered a Richard's Red we would suggest Cameron's Auburn Ale instead. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Please note that we have a bunch of standard beers (Blue, Heiniken, Corrs, etc) on hand also.

Cameron’s Auburn Ale

Richards / Honey Brown / Dark Ale Something Different

Steam Whistle Pilsner

Moosehead / Upper Canada / Creemore Lager / Amsterdam /Sleeman Silver Creek

Robert Simpson Ale

Export / Labatt 50 / Sleeman Ale / Other Light Styel Ale

Blanche de Chambly

Hoegaarden / Weissbier / Wheat Beer / Something Light

Obviously, these four beers can't cover everything, but hopefully they will cover a wide range of tastes and sub in for some of the other beers. Do yuo think the substitutions hit the mark?
Darcy S. O'Neil
The Art of Drink

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Personally some more adventurous choices like Black Oak Pale Ale or Nutbrown or Mill Street Tankhouse would be nice, but thats not a bad start if you are looking to provide a small step up from the mainstream.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I'm with Jer - this is a good start, but adding a hoppy Pale like Black Oak or Mill Street Tankhouse would make it even better.

And in the colder months, maybe swap out the Chambly for St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout or Mill Street Coffee Porter.

Still, it's nice to see another place adding & promoting some craft beer options. Good luck!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Top end Micros with large bottle sales :

JR Brickman Honey red, Amber and Pilsner,
Taps Charleston and red cream ale,
Nickelbrook premium lager,
Headstrong Munich lager,
Walkerville amber/red label
King Dark and Pilsner,
Creemore lager,
Amsterdam Duthch lager...that about covers the best lagers in Ont.

Wellington Imperial Russian stout, Iron Duke Dark ale and wellington county ale, Headstrong Pale ale are musts for the high end ale quaffers.

Don't forget Black oak Pale, Hockley Dark ale, F&M McLeans ale, S-I Sgt. Majors IPA, Millstreet coffee porter and tankhouse ale, and Neustadt 10W30

Then stock in the more popular Unibroue belgian style ales and you will have it mostly covered with bottled micros.
Aventinus rules!

dsoneil

Post by dsoneil »

GregClow wrote:I'm with Jer - this is a good start, but adding a hoppy Pale like Black Oak or Mill Street Tankhouse would make it even better.

And in the colder months, maybe swap out the Chambly for St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout or Mill Street Coffee Porter.
Actually you nailed it right on the head. I was thinking of St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout or Mill Street Coffee Porter for the colder months. I love the Coffee Porter after dinner.

I haven't had the Black Oak yet, it's not in London LCBO stores. But I'll track it down and try some. The pale ale was one area that was missing from my list.

Thanks for the comment.
Darcy S. O'Neil
The Art of Drink

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

All good suggestions.
Might I suggest making some connections/friendships with brewers closer to you? I'm, not familiar with London area micros, but the KW&G region is overflowing with some good ones as a start.

Don't be afraid to stretch the style boundries. If you are introducing new flavours to novices, explore their open minds and work from characteristics, not process.

Let's see:

Any time someone asked for a Stella, suggest a Stonehammer Pilsner?

I love Black Oak Pale and Tankhouse, but Elmira's ESB has a lighter touch that might not scare off a novice, yet still very nice.

Also, don't forget Gritstone as an option for the colder months.

If the business case works, fresh on tap please!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Hmmm... I'll have to check out Chauncey Smith! :D

Personally, I don't like Cameron's. If you're going as far as Oakville (though maybe you can get the Cameron's locally?), I'd definitely go for Black Oak. Their Pale Ale and Nut Brown are world-class, quality brews. Bring them in, and I'll even try your food! :D

Mill street certainly offers a variety of approachable beer... probably a decent brewery to hook up with (for the mainstream clients)... and I don't think they have any taps in london yet either!

The Alex P. Keaton, UWO Grad club & Chaucer's Pub have some craft (ME & Suzies in Port Stanley and the King Edward in Ilderton get some good stuff too). You could see what they're serving, and maybe piggy-back some of their orders (if they're having kegs delivered)... but then again, it's nice to offer something different as well.

Best of luck, and let us know when you open... and what you're serving!

Is this the old Maggie's local? (if you recreate their breakfast menu, I might see you before noon too!)

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Might as well suggest Denison's Dunkel for the winter months, if they'll hook you up with some kegs. While you're at it, Scotch Irish Black Irish Porter is a superior stout-like beer.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

If you have some good beers, I'll even come by for some food as well. :)
Good luck!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

You might also want to talk to Stratford Brewing to get something more local and less GTA (with all due respect to GTA Bar Towllers :lol: ).

Alan

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Al the beerblogger wrote:You might also want to talk to Stratford Brewing to get something more local and less GTA (with all due respect to GTA Bar Towllers :lol: ).

Alan
Good catch...Stratford makes a passable traditional all malt pilsner and a porter...both unoffensive and not likely to shock the taste buds of the novice beer drinker testing the micro beer waters. I enjoy the pilsner, with a meal from time to time although not the malt bomb that JR Brickman or King pilsners are, it will give entry level quaffers a taste of fresh lager beer with real import malt and real saaz hopping in a mild flavor profile.
Aventinus rules!

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

With respect to those tooth enamel strippingly hopped pilsner lovers, I do think that Straford's take is quite interesting in its subtle graininess and more approachable as a session beer than perhaps some others - and the session beer aspect is something that any new bar owner might appreciate in a tap (ie: why sell one when you can sell five.)

I am not a pilsner lover and do realize I comment with that in mind.

dsoneil

Post by dsoneil »

Responsible Drinker wrote:Hmmm... I'll have to check out Chauncey Smith! :D

Personally, I don't like Cameron's. If you're going as far as Oakville (though maybe you can get the Cameron's locally?), I'd definitely go for Black Oak. Their Pale Ale and Nut Brown are world-class, quality brews. Bring them in, and I'll even try your food! :D

Mill street certainly offers a variety of approachable beer... probably a decent brewery to hook up with (for the mainstream clients)... and I don't think they have any taps in london yet either!

The Alex P. Keaton, UWO Grad club & Chaucer's Pub have some craft (ME & Suzies in Port Stanley and the King Edward in Ilderton get some good stuff too). You could see what they're serving, and maybe piggy-back some of their orders (if they're having kegs delivered)... but then again, it's nice to offer something different as well.

Best of luck, and let us know when you open... and what you're serving!

Is this the old Maggie's local? (if you recreate their breakfast menu, I might see you before noon too!)
Actually it's the former Home Restaurant location right beside La Cassa. I've been looking for Black Oak Pale Ale in London and haven't been able to find it. All the beers I've mentioned are readily available here.

Currently there are only two taps at the bar and the owner wants Stella and Keith's for now. At least he's letting me bring in some unique bottled beer. I like Mill Street. The one beer I would absolutley love to get is the old Dragon's Breath Pale Ale, unfortunately it is no longer available.

As for London breweries we are a stones throw away from Labatt's, but I guess that doesn't count. Actually, I'm not sure there are any London microbreweries. If there is, someone let me know.

The menu isn't finalized, but it should be a little different. The chef is originally from London, Ont. but went to England to work at the Fat Duck, which is rated in the top five restaurants in the world, so hopefully he can bring something cool and different. But I'll let you know.
Darcy S. O'Neil
The Art of Drink

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

Walkerville should also be considered, based on it being relatively close to London. They have a light beer that I have yet to try, but this could be the beer you serve when someone wants a light beer.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

dsoneil wrote: The menu isn't finalized, but it should be a little different. The chef is originally from London, Ont. but went to England to work at the Fat Duck, which is rated in the top five restaurants in the world, so hopefully he can bring something cool and different. But I'll let you know.
Cool! Any crazy molecular gastronomy dishes? Scientifically speaking, I wonder what would pair with Keiths? :D

If the chef is fond of British brews, you might want to look at Wellington as well.