Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

World Cup Beers for the Weekend

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Steve Beaumont

World Cup Beers for the Weekend

Post by Steve Beaumont »

Okay, so we're down to the finals and consolation round now. What are you going to be drinking for the games?

As a sentimental German supporter, I'd have to say that Wernesgruner for Saturday afternoon seems appropriate. And besides, while I do like the Portuguese team, if I choose them instead, I'm stuck with Sagres or Super Bock.

Sunday I'll be solidly behind les Bleus, but Fischer?! 1664?! Boris???!!!

Maybe I'll just get a couple of bottles of Rhone rose instead, plus a bottle of Champagne with which to toast the victory!!!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

If I were a real soccer fan:

Schneider Aventinus Weizenbock Saturday

La Choulette Blonde Biére De Garde Sunday.

Since I'm not a soccer fan (and don't want to fall asleep by mid-afteroon),
my summery choices of token support are:

Paulaner HefeWeizen, & maybe that Trenel Julienás if it's any bloody good (those Crus are so hit-and-miss.)
Last edited by Belgian on Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

Funny how it turned out to be a wine semifinal and now final. Perhaps an Alsatian Riesling versus some Friulian Pinot Grigio?

:)

Rosko

Post by Rosko »

There was a lone bottle of Moretti near the check out at the LCBO today.

I was going to buy it and then I remembered that it's a pretty lousy beer.

So it will be Tankhouse ale out of an Italian wine glass.

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

How about some creative non-linear thinking to justify drinking something else...:

Theirry Henry, the French striker plays for Arsenal, and Also William Gallas & Makalele from Chelsea, both are teams from London, so how about Fuller's London Pride.

Boumsong, a French squad player, defender (who's been on the bench the whole time) plays for Newcastle, so how about a Newcastle Brown Ale?

French players Saha and Silvestre play for Man United, from, duh, Manchester, so how about Boddingtons?

The finals take place in Berlin, so how about a Berliner Weisse?

Since both teams traditionally play in Blue, (NO, YOU CAN'T DRINK A LABATT BLUE!) however, one will be forced to wear their away kit, which is White, so how about a Belgian White?, ok that's a stretch...

Ah, here's a good one... How long is a soccer match? 90 minutes? Well why not have a Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA?, or for that matter, bring on a few 60 minute IPA's midway through the second half!

And finally... Here you go... France's first ever international match was against Belgium, May 1st, 1904, a 3-3 draw... so go ahead and have a Belgian beer, and if you're challenged on it by anyone, just fire that stat back at them, that should shut them up!!

Apologies for being French-centric, but I don't follow Italian Football and I hope they lose....

Enjoy the Finals!
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com