Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

NY Times article on Wheat Beers

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

NY Times article on Wheat Beers

Post by Tapsucker »

The NY Times published an article today on wheat beers.
While mostly introductiory, the reviews/tasting video that accompanied it on the website has some good comments on 'American style' wheats.

I've generally not been big on wheat beers, but the variety and splintering of styles is promising; new things to try and see if they change my mind!

You can find it here: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/12/dining/12wine.html?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

While there's a character wheat CAN bring to a brew, I think 'wheat beer' is an unworkably vague category, and folks should stop confusing people with jumbled half-information.

Does the american-style Grasshopper Wheat have ANYthing to do with Blanche De Chambly or Berliner Weisse, or Schneider Aventinus, for that matter? People actually say "oh I've had "Wheat Beer"' and yet have no idea which actual style.

Kind of a non-classification, much like discussing Barley Wine, Brown Ale, Pale and Doppelbock in the same neat little topic of 'Barley Beer' just to cobble together an article or a television segment.

Much better if they focus on a few specific, related styles, with less fluff. What makes a Hefeweizen uniquely great? Where did the idea originate? How is is different from the other famous german wheat, the Berliner Weisse? What 'mutations' are there of this one or two styles?
In Beerum Veritas

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

hmmm. I hope I haven't picked a fight with a Belgian over beer. :lol:

Actually, I totally agree with you.

I typically find the NYT reviews sprinkled with one or two deep thoughts, but mostly written to inspire their readers to try something new in a risk free way. Not hardcore, but still a useful mission if it spreads the word.