Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Who buys/uses the proper glassware for your beers?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

StevenThrasher

Who buys/uses the proper glassware for your beers?

Post by StevenThrasher »

I've invested a fair bit in glassware mostly bought online from the U.S. (imported from Belgium). A few picked up from Beers of the World in Rochester. The odd one from Peter @ Esprit if he has extras he is willing to part with.

My glassware goes with my staple beers for the most part:

Orval, Chimay, Westmalle, Rochefort, St. Bernardus, Stone, Great Divide, Unibroue Trois Pistoles.

Also have the typical LCBO Chritmas gift pack Stella, Leffe, Grolsch etc. glasses.

The two online places I've shopped at are:

http://www.johnsgrocery.com/Catalog/Bro ... Breweriana
http://www.globalbeer.com/Merchant2/mer ... e_Code=GBN

Paid a lot in brokerage fees and duty, but not much I could do about it.

I really enjoy the presentation of the Trappists/Abbeys in their proper glass. Never gets old.

Does anyone else bother doing this?

P.S. I never go anywhere without my:
http://www.globalbeer.com/Merchant2/mer ... ct_Count=5
Very classy and durable. A great purchase.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

I also like to use the proper-ish glass when I get the chance. I'm very partial to my Chimay glass - it works well with so many beers.

I've tried ordering from Global Beer in the past but they always have trouble processing both my credit cards. Did you ever have this problem?

Pub Italia in Ottawa also has some glassware for sale in their adjacent store. Not sure what the selection is like right now as it's been a dog's age since I've been there...

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

inertiaboy wrote:I've tried ordering from Global Beer in the past but they always have trouble processing both my credit cards. Did you ever have this problem?
Yes absolutely. They just wouldn't pass some security thing. I had to call the guy up (He sounded Dutch) and he said he couldn't do anything if the third party company wouldn't take them and wouldn't accept them directly.
I really wanted some stuff he had (particularily the Rochefort glasses which I know of no where else to get them in North America). I basically asked him if there was any way I could pay him outside of credit cards. He said he would accept a money order. So I had to get a money order in U.S. funds and mail it to him. I emailed my order to him cut and pasted from his web site.
It was a quite painful and long process but he has great stuff so I went through it.

BTW: I also highly recommend the Westmalle Ashtray "ASH002" (for those who smoke) I don't smoke myself but it is great to put out at parties. Beautiful design in crystal and quite large. The picture on the web site doesn't do it justice.

http://www.globalbeer.com/Merchant2/mer ... ct_Count=3

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Thanks for those two links! :D

I try to match up glassware to the breweries or styles and buy unusual glassware both branded and generic as I find them.

I've got:

Steamwhistle pint and stem plus 8oz sample glasses of each, Kilkenny, Leffe, Church Key, Petrus, Stella, Lifemans, Warsteiner, Beerworks Pumpkinhead, De Koninck, Magnotta Wunderweisse, Hoegaarden, Unibroue, Blanche de Chambly, La Vache Folle.

And for fun geekiness:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/product ... -4pack.jpg
lister

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

I'm a simple chap...20oz dimpled mugs, imperial pint glasses, and some decorative pint glasses put out by Carlsberg for UEFA2004. I also have a whole range of Bitburger glasses from when I lived there...from as small as a 30cl stem to a litre size.

Seeing as how I mostly drink ales, bitters, etc...I think I do okay.

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

StevenThrasher wrote:
inertiaboy wrote:I've tried ordering from Global Beer in the past but they always have trouble processing both my credit cards. Did you ever have this problem?
Yes absolutely. They just wouldn't pass some security thing. I had to call the guy up (He sounded Dutch) and he said he couldn't do anything if the third party company wouldn't take them and wouldn't accept them directly.
Same thing for me. That site has rejected my credit card the numerous times I've tried, and the one time I phoned, they said it was web or no deal - the guy never mentioned the money order option.
Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

I have a couple tulip glasses, two snifters and a few pint glasses. I try to use the proper glassware when possible.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I'm all for proper glassware whenever possible. Unfortunately almost all my glasses are boxed up...waiting for a home in a nice home bar one day down the road.

The proper glassware definitely does make things taste better. Never really appreciated it until the only glass I was using was a Leffe "trappist" glass. I ended up drinking a wide variety of beers out of it, and it affected the taste for sure (some forthe better, some forthe worse), it was a neat discovery.

I'm still partial to my hacker schorr weizen glass, barbar mug, delirium glass (with the pink elephants of course) and my bush ambree glass.

I've sort of got an addiction I think, as I've accumulated over 50 pieces of glassware now.
:D

Funny story too - I was enjoying a Floreffe double not long ago, and inquired about purchasing the nice, frosted glass from the bar. They asked for $15, since they only had 2 left! It was too much for me....of course when I was leaving the bartender said I shouldn't have asked to buy it, and should have just made it "dissapear"!

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

I've got quite a bit of glassware, and will always use something appropriate. On my stop at BOTW on the way to Mondial de la Biere, I FINALLY picked up a couple of Schneider Weisse glasses, and I've been giving them a good workout, even as I now type! Mmmm.

I was recently receiving complaints from my wife because my beer glassware takes up more cupboard space than our regular glasses. :)

frosken

Post by frosken »

I'm the same way....glasses ARE important! :D

I have roughly 200 of them...all shapes, all sizes, from the LCBO 'X-mas pack' ones to a Kwak glass...

[quote=Andicus]I was recently receiving complaints from my wife because my beer glassware takes up more cupboard space than our regular glasses. [/quote]

I actually have 2 buffets FULL with beer glasses...The 'Molson/Labatt/crap' breweries in the white melamine one next to my bar, the other 'nicer stuff' in the dining room...

If anyone wants to trade glasses, please LMK...I'll gather pictures of my spares (sooner or later) on my website...many of the spares are 70s Labatt's and Molson's ...no mugs please!

My Dec/04 glass collection...which has probably doubled ever since:
http://www.frosken.com/beer

Frosken

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Oh yes, I've got two of the large Brick Honey Red glasses too.
lister

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

We're working on a glass shipment as we speak and w'll offer the glasses to everyone when they do arrive. The Chimay 3 pack willl be part of the LCBO Holida gift pack with glass offerrring. We did offer a LIndemans Twinpack with glass but the other day were told it was not going to be purchased because we did not meet the LCBO's deadlines for ridiculouss labelling and packaging requirements

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

Anyone score any Great Divide glassware in their stash?

8)

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

That would have been smart, some Great Divide glassware.
Oh well!

The one 'rule' I do have though is that I don't buy / get any glasses for beers I haven't had, it's just not the same.

Even if it is a mediocre Quilmes from Argentina, whenever I bring out that glass it is at least attached to some good beer memories.

It's kind of like cheating to have the glass, but never had the pleasure to enjoy the beer.

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

My wish list includes a Scotch thistle, Kasteel, and Brauhaus Bonnsch (my avatar) or T Zelfde.

If anyone knows a relatively painless was to get one's mitts on these - aside from Global Beer - I'd appreciate the info.
Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!