Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

F&M Brewery

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

F&M Brewery

Post by Tapsucker »

I'm sure many of you are fans of F&M so this may be old news to you.

I have always liked thier StoneHammer Plsner and have really warmed up to MacLeans Pale Ale when I find it around town on tap (cask of course!)

I had heard it was worth a visit to their store to see what else they have.

Today I found myself in Waterloo with the 401 closed, so it seamed like as good a time as any to hop over to Guelph and check them out.

My first reaction was seeing a brewery of this quality operating in such a low key way; they are clearly focussed on their product.

I was also pleased by the knowledge and service of the person who served me. I can't say I was surprised though, most craft operations attract good people.

He encouraged me to try their StoneHammer Dark, that I never really went for before since I'm a little bored of brown ales. I'm glad he did, anybody else who is resisting should try it. I found it somewhere between a traditional dark ale and a lighter bitter. Very nice.

I brought home some of their Special Draft that I'm enjoying now. Without getting into details notes, I'm not as crazy about it. The nose is odd, I can't really place it. I have experienced something similar in a Vienna lager once, but the rest of this beer is different. Also, I would prefer a little more body, even in a 'draft'. I do like the finish though. If somebody has a suggestion on what they think I'm picking up in the nose, I'd like to hear it.

Anyway. I just thought I'd say a few good words about these guys, they deserve it.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Thanks for the input. The fellow you met in the store was either Mark or Gary but I'm pretty sure it was Mark. I'll make sure I point out your comments. Yup, low key is us. Your comments on the SH Dark flavour are right where Charles was aiming. Cheers!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I remember reading that F&M changed they're recipes so that each one has a single hop variety. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the info. Could someone post the old & the new? (particularly the pale, pils & dunkel).

I think the Pale Ale use to be Fuggles & Goldings, and now it's just Goldings (from East Kent?). Anyway, I recently had it on cask in Ilderton & thought it was a little more hop-forward than previously... thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Rob,
I'm pretty new here so I never know if I'm stirring the pot of a brewmaster or proprietor. Nice to see you pay attention.

Could you comment on the Special Draft? What were you guys trying to create with that one? I'm not trying to pick it apart, but I'm curious about the nose.

Also, I'm in mid town Toronto. I've found StoneHammer at the Summerhill cartel outlet, but I'd like to throw my ballot in the box for more distribution around here if you are counting.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Tapsucker wrote:Rob,
I'm pretty new here so I never know if I'm stirring the pot of a brewmaster or proprietor. Nice to see you pay attention.

Could you comment on the Special Draft? What were you guys trying to create with that one? I'm not trying to pick it apart, but I'm curious about the nose.

Also, I'm in mid town Toronto. I've found StoneHammer at the Summerhill cartel outlet, but I'd like to throw my ballot in the box for more distribution around here if you are counting.
I'm a brewer by trade (Labatt, Upper Canada, Algonquin) but have spent most of my recent career installing and running packaging lines and consulting for small breweries. My role at F&M is sales and brand development and most of our recent focus has been on our direct market area (Guelph, Kitchener, Cambridge, Fergus, Elora) but we are trying to move a little deeper into Toronto. Remember we are not Mill Street, Steamwhistle or Wellington. We have a total of 5 employees and a very limited marketing budget and this will continue to be this way for a while.

The F&M Special Draft brand has been discontinued and you literally purchased one of the last cases available. The distinctive nose you mentioned I believe is the Hallertauer Hersbrucker hop from Germany. We switched to it exclusively for both bittering and aroma and is more noticeable in both the flavour and aroma of the Barrelhead Draught at 4.2% abv.

The Stone Hammer Pilsner is available at the Front Street, Cooper Street, Summerhill, Richview Square and Wilson Ave LCBO's. It is in 2 Dundas St W TBS stores as well as the Spadina self-serve, Queens Quay, Price street, Dupont Street and the Queen West stores. We are looking to expand into more self-serve stores soon. Thanks for your feedback.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Rob - for curiousity's sake, could you list all of the F&M brews that are currently available, as well as thier abv and format availability (i.e. keg, bottle...).

If the F&M website wasn't several years out of date, I wouldn't have to ask... :wink: