Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sleeman up for grabs

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

antirealist

Sleeman up for grabs

Post by antirealist »

From today's G&M:
Four brewers are expected to belly up to the bar today and pitch offers for Sleeman Breweries Ltd. as the auction of the $220-million beer maker enters its final stage.

The two major domestic players, Molson Coors Brewing Co. and Labatt Brewing Co. Ltd., are expected to make bids. So too are a pair of overseas brewers that distribute their suds through Sleeman, Royal Grolsch NV and Sapporo Breweries Ltd. All are expected to make formal bids by a Sleeman-imposed deadline of the end of today, according to industry and investment banking sources.

Sleeman, which holds 7 per cent of the Canadian beer market, announced a "strategic review" in May that could include the sale of the Guelph, Ont.-based company. Sources say the brewer hopes to announce a buyer by October.
What happens to Unibroue when Sleeman is sold, I wonder?

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

You'd think someone in the know would want Sleeman just for the Unibroue portfolio.

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

Whomever buys Sleeman PLEASE don't mess up Unibroue. I'm so happy I can buy Trois Pistoles at the beer store.

Sleeman didn't seem to do anything negative as far as I know. They improved the distribution into Ontario which I was quite happy about.

Maybe if Molson buys Sleeman they might advertise Unibroue products. That would be interesting. Hopefully they show the beer poured into glasses not people in t-shirts and shorts holding the bottles. :D

John Aitken

Post by John Aitken »

WOW, this is what happens when a brewery is not for sale? At least I seem to recall that is what John Sleeman said back in May. I think the prospect of Unibroue not being changed will all depend on the bottom line profit margin.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I hope the Unibroue workers are still brewing wicked beer after the dust settles... with or without Unibroue!

Business world sucks doesn't it.
In Beerum Veritas

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

"
Business world sucks doesn't it.[/quote]"

not if I make over $100,000 for our fund on the investment

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

StevenThrasher wrote:Whomever buys Sleeman PLEASE don't mess up Unibroue. I'm so happy I can buy Trois Pistoles at the beer store.

Sleeman didn't seem to do anything negative as far as I know. They improved the distribution into Ontario which I was quite happy about.
I view killing the 750mL bottles as negative, but that's just me.

I also view brewing their (Sleeman) brand as negative, but again, that's just me. :D

Stomp Brockmore

Post by Stomp Brockmore »

Did they kill the 750ml bottles, or just kill their distribution throughout Ontario. I'm not sure, but as far as I know they're still selling and distributing them in Quebec and in the U.S.

If so, getting rid of them in Ontario probably had something to do with Sleeman wanting to appease The Beer Store and their stocking issues ("No bottle larger than 341ml! Damn you!") but I don't know.

Sambo

Post by Sambo »

If so, getting rid of them in Ontario probably had something to do with Sleeman wanting to appease The Beer Store and their stocking issues "

yes

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I'm still dissapointed after looking at the Sleeman list for the TFOB that only Blanche de Chambly is going to made it here this year, along with a whack of the Sleeman lines. Come on....only one Unibroue beer???

At least add Maudite (or Trois Pistoles which I've never had on tap yet)

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Sambo wrote:If so, getting rid of them in Ontario probably had something to do with Sleeman wanting to appease The Beer Store and their stocking issues "

yes
Does the LCBO have the same requirements? I didn't know they even had 750s at The Beer Store. Regardless, it is still a huge negative in my book, whatever the reasoning.

frosken

Post by frosken »

So... I haven't heard anything...

Did anyone bid on Sleeman???

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

frosken wrote:So... I haven't heard anything...

Did anyone bid on Sleeman???
My understanding is that all bidding was private, and Sleeman plans to announce the winning bidder (if they even decide to sell) in the fall.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Stomp Brockmore wrote:Did they kill the 750ml bottles,- probably - to appease The Beer Store and their stocking issues...
The 750mls I've returned are sometimes tossed in the 'glass bin' [*SMASH*] whereupon I tell the BS worker 'uh, there was a DEPOSIT on those ya know....'

(He looks at wall posting) 'Oh yeah you're right!'

My Loyal Comrade then refunds the deposit...
In Beerum Veritas

U-Boat Commander

Post by U-Boat Commander »

I have been able to find the Unibroue 750 ml bottles. They are available some beer stores. I usually buy them at the store on Dupont.