Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer stops in Moncton or St John, New Brunswick?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Beer stops in Moncton or St John, New Brunswick?

Post by El Pinguino »

Any quick stops that would be worthwhile out this way?
I'll be camping in NB for a few days...would be happy to pick up some local brews somewhere if possible?? Or, I suppose just stop by for lunch if thats the best option.

Any tips??

PS - the darn "search" function still doesn't work properly, keep getting that forbidden message when I try searches.

Later!

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

El Pinguino wrote:PS - the darn "search" function still doesn't work properly, keep getting that forbidden message when I try searches.
If you remove the &highlight=???? (where ???? is the search term) portion from the URL, the search will work properly.

LarryKress

Post by LarryKress »

In Moncton,
Pump House Brewery
5 Orange Lane
Moncton, New Brunswick
E1C 4L6
Tél.: (506) 855-2337
Good beer & pub-style food.

Across the river from Fredricton, is Picroons microbrewery which had & I
believe still brews a good red ale.

In St. John, NB is Tapps which sucks & isn't worth the waste of energy to find it.

Cheers,

Larry Kress

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Pump House is worth a visit.

The Tap Room in Fredericton is not bad either.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

In addition to the Pump House location in Moncton that Larry listed, they have another location called the Barnyard Restaurant at 131 Mill Road. They have 3 beers available at most NBLC stores as well as the restaurant and brewpub - Scotch Ale, Cadian Cream Ale, and Blueberry Ale. Their on tap seasonals are much more interesting though.

If you happen to end up in Fredericton, the best place to find the Picaroons brews on tap is at the Taproom, 366 Queen Street. A warning though - they don't have their own food, but will let you bring your own. The Irish Red, Best Bitter, Simeon Jones Amber, and seasonal Dooryard Summer Ale will also be available in bottles at select NBLC locations around the province.

Tapps in Saint John got a new brewer about a year and a half ago, and things had improved. Before that they had a lot of infection problems. The brewing set-up was very limiting, and I'm not sure that she's still there. I don't know when Larry was there, but it may be worth a stop now. In Saint John there's also the Saint John Alehouse (I think that's what it's called) which will have some of the Pump House brews, including seasonals, on tap.

Outside of that, I've heard rumours about a brewpub (Archer's?) in the Miramichi. But I don't know of anyone who's been.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

I was just in Saint John a couple of weeks ago, and the beer pickings were relatively slim.

But there were a few microbrews available from NB and NS. I had one in particular that I quite enjoyed, but now I can't remember the name of it! (a "Best Bitter", perhaps?)

For drinking venues in SJ, the Saint John Ale House was a bit of a disappointment in terms of selection (at my visit, they only had 1-2 microbrews that weren't available in Ontario, and one was a Blueberry ale (served with fresh blueberries!)) - but their location and large patio can't be beat.

Churchill's was a decent option for a drink, and the food is supposed to be pretty good.

I don't think there are any microbreweries in SJ itself - only Moosehead.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

sstackho wrote:I don't think there are any microbreweries in SJ itself - only Moosehead.
You are correct no micros, just Tapps Brewpub.

antirealist

Post by antirealist »

sstackho wrote:I had one in particular that I quite enjoyed, but now I can't remember the name of it! (a "Best Bitter", perhaps?).
Was it Propeller? Not a bad beer at all.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

antirealist wrote:
sstackho wrote:I had one in particular that I quite enjoyed, but now I can't remember the name of it! (a "Best Bitter", perhaps?).
Was it Propeller? Not a bad beer at all.
May have also been Picaroons Best Bitter, or possibly even Pump House Special Old Bitter (SOB). Both decent examples.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

I think it was Picaroons Best Bitter (on tap at Churchill's - and possibly also at Saint John Ale House (although it wasn't on their beer menu)), but I could be wrong.

I think I only had Propeller out of a bottle, and I can't recall if it was a "Best Bitter" or an ESB. I think the only Pump House one I had was the blueberry.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Nice.....I've written these down....thanks for the tips all, and have a great long weekend!

shrike

Post by shrike »

Garrison Brewing from Halifax is pretty good. Their coffee porter is the best I've ever tasted and the nut brown is very good as well. But stay away from the Jalapeno Ale!

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

shrike wrote:Garrison Brewing from Halifax is pretty good. Their coffee porter is the best I've ever tasted and the nut brown is very good as well. But stay away from the Jalapeno Ale!
You mean their Moka Ale? Won't be found in NB unfortunately. The Brown Ale, the base for the Moka, will. Should be around at most NBLCs. Greg Nash, ex of John Shippey's in Halifax, is doign some of their brewing these days, so consistency should be a better than it has been in the past few years.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

shrike wrote:Garrison Brewing from Halifax is pretty good. Their coffee porter is the best I've ever tasted and the nut brown is very good as well. But stay away from the Jalapeno Ale!
When did Garrison start making a coffee porter? Or do you mean their Möka Ale? I had that once and didn't care for it at all - it was like a weak brown ale infused with stale Tim Horton's coffee. Bleh.

Completely agreed with you on the others, though. Their Nut Brown is fantastic, and their Jalapeno Ale is an interesting experiment but basically undrinkable.