Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Brewery in the Smoke

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

New Brewery in the Smoke

Post by Rob Creighton »

From Probrewer.com :

Looking for a brewer in Toronto

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Les 3 Brasseurs microbreweries is opening a new site in Toronto at the begining of 2007.

For this reason we are looking for a brewer from the Toronto area, with knowledge in chemistry-biochemistry-microbiology or experience in the brewing industry. This person will follow a two month training in our microbreweries in Montreal. Working knowledge of the french language is an asset.

Please contact Cédric Dauchot by email: cedric@les3brasseurs.ca

Should be interesting.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Hmmmmmm that's 2 new start ups in GTA and one ( rumored) in Cambridge. This is good growth and hopefully will add to the local micro scene with some real beers and ales that swim out of the mainstream. 8)
Aventinus rules!

Steve-E

Post by Steve-E »

I went to Les 3 Brasseurs during Mondial, and was not very impressed. Maybe my taste buds were spoiled from the fest, or the anticipation of going to DDC, but I didn't think their beer was that good.

The food on the other hand was great...

Their menu did mention a planned expansion to Toronto.

Hopefully it was a just a bad day. I will try them again when they open locally, just to see if my first impression was correct.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

We've been to Les 3 Brasseurs twice. Once last year and then this year during Mondial. Last year I was indifferent towards the beer. The girlfriend liked the blanche. The food was good but not amazing. This year neither of us really cared for the beer and the food was merely okay. We both agreed that for any future Montreal trips that Les 3 Brasseurs was off the list of places to go.

We'll probably give the Toronto location one try assuming there aren't any negative reviews but I suspect that it won't be a repeat destination.
lister

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

pootz wrote:Hmmmmmm that's 2 new start ups in GTA
I'm gapping out here - what was the other one?

I've heard some not so positive things about the quality of Les 3 Brasseurs beer, although if they hire a decent brewer for the Toronto location, maybe we'll get lucky.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

GregClow wrote:

I've heard some not so positive things about the quality of Les 3 Brasseurs beer, although if they hire a decent brewer for the Toronto location, maybe we'll get lucky.
Joseph Bloor...which has dropped out of the scuttlebut circuit...are they still a go?

As for L3B..if this is the same outfit that brews the stuff they sell in their upscale Montreal restaurant, it's nothing special...not bad ...just nothing outstanding...it's a brew pub franchise from Europe...kinda like Gordon Beirsch but with tame French ales.
Aventinus rules!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

pootz wrote:Joseph Bloor...which has dropped out of the scuttlebut circuit...are they still a go?
Good question. I've been thinking of dropping Robert Hughey a line to ask him about this, as he was the first to report on the brewery a few months ago.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

GregClow wrote:
I read somewhere last year that Gordon Biersch were setting up shop at the corner of Dundas & Yonge, in the new complex being built there.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I found this on the 3 Brasseurs' web site:

Les 3 Brasseurs Young St.
Right across from the Eaton Centre in the heart of downtown Toronto. Scheduled to open in the spring of 2007!

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Quite Frankly, L3B is the McDonald's of brewing.

My opinion.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I have been to their Old Montreal location a couple of times. I didn't realize they were a chain, but it always felt like they were. The product seemed like a Gordon Biersch knock off (not the best place to start), but compared to all the Stella outlets in the neighbourhood, it was acceptable.

I didn't mind thier red ale, but I wouldn't walk far for it.

On the other hand, a brewpub in a flagship location like Y&D can only be a benefit for beer culture.

I'm sure Volvo and Beer Bistro are shaking in their boots at the thought of the nearby competition. :P

the.brewer

Post by the.brewer »

Might be good for Peugeot & Citroen though!

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

"I read somewhere last year that Gordon Biersch were setting up shop at the corner of Dundas & Yonge, in the new complex being built there"

They failed failed misserably in their normal surban locations in the GTA

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

northyorksammy wrote:"I read somewhere last year that Gordon Biersch were setting up shop at the corner of Dundas & Yonge, in the new complex being built there"

They failed failed misserably in their normal surban locations in the GTA
Another American tradition I don't get, put bars in places people need to drive to. Maybe an urban location will bring in more customers willing to have a beer.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Tapsucker wrote: Another American tradition I don't get, put bars in places people need to drive to. Maybe an urban location will bring in more customers willing to have a beer.
My theory is that Gordon Biersch thought that Toronto was like most American cities, namely that nobody lives downtown and they are ghost towns after 5pm. So Gordon put their locations in the suburbs which has been a successful model in the U.S. as consumers there live in the suburbs. Now it is certainly true that Toronto has many suburbanites, but also an incredibly lively downtown culture where the brewery probably could have worked. But we don't have any brewpubs anyway so who knows!